Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** > Geek Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Geek Chat Ask computer questions or just engage in general geek talk on here

Old 09-06-2005, 12:45 AM   #1
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
if you know anything about mac, read this URGENT

this is going ehre because i need an answer like.... yesterday

i just turned on my computer, and all my keychain stuff is gone. every program just completely reset as if it was the first time i was using them, and my home folder has been wiped out

does ANYONE know what happened? i went to do stuff in terminal and sudo sh /etc/daily worked, but when i went for /etc/weekly, terminal froze.

HELP! i NEED to have thsi fixed a major grade depends on me being able to get my home folder stuff back!

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:58 AM   #2
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Haven't touched a Mac pretty much all summer, so I'm out of practice . . could be any number of things. Did you recently install software that uses its own installer? Some poorly-written, third-party installers have been known to change permissions on System-related folders, then neglect to set them back, causing problems after the installation. I suggest jumping on the forum board over at spymac.com. They've been a great help for me over the years.

This is hindsight, but it can't be said enough times . . back up your files frequently, 'coz it'll always bite you in the ass at the wrong time
Old 09-06-2005, 11:09 AM   #3
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
here... someone help me fix this at least. every time i restart my cmputer or login after closing the lid, i get "keychain "login" cannot be found to store safari." this also happens with aim.... how can i fix this at least?

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:07 PM   #4
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Try repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, >click repair permissions. If that doesn't help, restart in single user terminal. Restart holding Apple S. In the terminal type /sbin/fsck -fy over until the file system message stops showing