Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E90
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E90 General discussion and technical help for 2005-current 3 series cars.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
jybute

Name: jybute
Title: Senior Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2006 330xi, 2007 X5 3.0, 1991 318is
Reprogram

Just wondering to what extent we are able to do "reprograms" ourselves.

A friend has a reset type tool that can virtually look at everything electronic in the car, but the whole idea of the thing is a little vague. I'm not looking for performance upgrades, but the ability to look at change the some of the iDrive settings in my X5 and some of the options in the settings menu in my E90 330xi.

For example; 18 months ago, under warranty my check engine light came on, it was booked for service at the dealership. The day before it was to go in, the engine light went off (probably the gas cap), but it went in anyway and they decided to reprogram it...... Before the reprogram, I had the option in the settings for the car to give me an audible, as well as the flashing park lights, alert that the doors were locked when commanded to do so. I don't necessarily want that option, but what happened to it? Im wondering if there are any other subtle options that can be activated..
Old 07-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Big Evil

Name: Big Evil
Title: Moderator
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 BMW 525i, 1987 325is, 1986 325
Safest answer? NO, do not attempt to re-program anything yourself. Flash updates come from the manufacturer and altering their programs can really screw you over depending on your situation and applicable warranties not to mention future repairs if you get something wrong.

reset tools are one thing, scanners are another entirely. Actually re-programming requires a factory scan tool with proprietary software to do it right. OR, if your vehicle is out of all applicable warranties and you're dead set on changing something. Take it to a shop with experience and pay them so that they're on the hook if it gets messed up.

Computers, coding and the networks that are in the modern cars get really tricky and can get really expensive to fix.
Big Evil, The BMW driving monster of the American Southwest (Currently on BMW #5)