Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:12 AM   #1
catalyst

Name: catalyst
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 195 / 340
Your Ride: 1994 325is
Has anyone else noticed...

That their car has started to run better/more smoothly since they bought it?

I think that since i run the piss out of my engine, and im above 4500 rpms's constantly, that ive actually cleaned a shitoad of carbon deposites out.. honestly the thing revs alot more freely, and the power seems smoother than ever.. god i love this car

Do you think my engine will live the normal m50 life of 200-300k miles?
Old 08-17-2005, 07:44 AM   #2
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
That's the idea, and it makes sense when you think about it. They say the worst thing for a car is stop and go traffic. Highway time and high revving cleans out all the crud.

I don't know what you mileage is, but I'm at 142k and hoping to break 200k on my M50 as well
Old 08-17-2005, 08:53 AM   #3
E36Bimmer

Name: E36Bimmer
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 142 / 340
In my owners manual it suggests a good mile or two on the highway after stop and go traffic to clean out deposits. So your theory is correct that high revs clean out deposits. As for 200-300K?? I doubt you'll reach that high of a mileage constantly free revving. Once and a while its good for your car...constantly will decrease your engine life. If you keep up on maintaince then you should get to 200K, but who knows..im just appling some common sense.. BTW-do you have a pic of your car w/ the contours???
Old 08-17-2005, 10:15 AM   #4
EuroStyle

Name: EuroStyle
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 92 325i
My boss has an 84 528e (I think) w/ 273,000 miles and it runs like a dream. If you maintain the car it will run for as long as you want. Most people trade in their bimmers because the "other" maintenance becomes too expensive.

The other reason your car might feel like it's been running better is because you might be taking better care of it, i.e. using better gas. Higher octane gas and regular oil changes will really help to clean out an engine.

I know exactly how you feel though. I love these cars.

-Matt
Clear corners~Painted bumpers/rockers~Dinan intake~UUC evo3 short shifter w/ delrin bushings~UUC dssr~UUC black tm w/ tme~UUC shift knob~Alpine head unit~H&R sport springs~BavAuto RSMs~SSR GT2 8.5x17 wheels~Bridgstone 235/40/R17 rubber
Old 08-17-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
BMW does officially suggest that you drive their cars "spiritedly". haha

Old 08-17-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
catalyst

Name: catalyst
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 195 / 340
Your Ride: 1994 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Bimmer
In my owners manual it suggests a good mile or two on the highway after stop and go traffic to clean out deposits. So your theory is correct that high revs clean out deposits. As for 200-300K?? I doubt you'll reach that high of a mileage constantly free revving. Once and a while its good for your car...constantly will decrease your engine life. If you keep up on maintaince then you should get to 200K, but who knows..im just appling some common sense.. BTW-do you have a pic of your car w/ the contours???
No i dont, my camera got some sand in it and is fuxxored now..

The rims arent even on my car right now, i had them on for about 2 days, but the tires are so worn i was afraid to use them for any period of time. New tires this week though

Il take somne pics with my camera phone once theyre on again.

Yea, 200-230k is what im expecting, who knows though.. the engine burns 0 oil, i use synthetic and change it every 3-4 thousand miles.. always use 93 octane. My mileage is 137,xxx btw.