Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
Jetty

Name: Jetty
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
1995 325i Need info about replacing the control arm and front end parts.

I hit a piece of road construction last winter. Bent my front driver side wheel. I replaced the wheel... the vibration is pretty extreme still.

Shop said they would replace the control arm for 300.00 total cost.

My question is.... I have a friend who is a pretty good mechanic and has a lift in his 4 car garage. We are going to replace the part. Should I buy it new? There is a guy parting out a '94 he has a control arm.... I have no idea what kind of condition it is in.

The other thing is at 190 thousand miles I'm ready to just replace all the front end parts... in other words the, tie rods, control arm, ball joints, anything and everything that will smooth out my car! It drives like it is on a rocky dirt road LOL Seriously I drove an Accord today and I was like oh my god! My car is in serious trouble. LOL I think I need new shocks and tires the wheel I replaced I replaced with an after market wheel, it causes my tire to stick out past the wheel well. Any way sorry to write an essay...

What I'm trying to ask is: at 190k should I rebuild the front end and put on all new shocks? If so how much should I pay for the control arm? the Tie rods? the Ball joints? And should I simply buy all new or can I buy used and be good to go?

Thank You in advance for any replies... Jetty
Old 08-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
3050rpm

Name: 3050rpm
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Yeah, I think you're due for some replacements...

1) Buy new whatever you get; 2) control arms come with ball joints, don't bother to do them separately; 3) overall price for all this stuff isn't all that outrageous, front struts being most costly, tie rods and control arms being comparatively cheap, in my estimation; 4) this is a chance to upgrade to '95 M3 control arms and ball joints, more durable than the standard setup and the steering is sharper.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
Manolito

Name: Manolito
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 338 / 340
Your Ride: (2) '97 328s; '04 330; '04 325iT
If you have gotten 190k miles out of the original front ball joints and bushings, you have done very well and it is a wonder it is still holding together.

I suggest you start at Autohaus AZ and compile a list of OEM parts and their costs. Then if you want to look around for performance parts, you know how much extra they are costing you beyond what it would cost to build it back to stock. Pelican often sells packages of parts with key upgrades included that are good deals for what you get so check there as well.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
Grouchoman

Name: Grouchoman
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i Convertible
Pelican sells the bushing for the control arm with it already pressed into the holder...this will speed up your job immensely. Short of the shocks/strut cost, you are not looking at a big nut here...if the shop quoted $300 for one control arm replacement, you got to figure half of that is the labor, since you can get a stock ca for a bit over $100 and the bushing/holder combo for about $38. So that's almost $150 a side for the parts...again, agree with previous post, do both sides at the same time.

"Remember men, we're fighting for this woman's honour; which is probably more than she ever did. "
Old 09-01-2011, 02:16 AM   #5
Jetty

Name: Jetty
Click here to set it up.
Great information thanks you guys. I like the idea of the upgrades and kits. I like the Groucho quote too. LOL Thanks again!!!!