Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Bimmer23

Name: Bimmer23
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 92 318is
E36 318is not starting....

whats up guys! i finaly took the old engine out and swapped out a new m42. Now im having problem starting it.... This is my first bmw and i dont know where to start. There are so much electronics stuff to check.

When trying to start, i dont hear any clicking sound just the fuel pump priming.
All electronics works from radio to window to dash lights, except for the OBC...
The engine starts and runs perfect, before they took it off the donor car.

Im really stuck, im not trying to bring this to the shop and pay some expensive stuff. BMW guru please help me and guide me through this!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
Bimmer23

Click here to set it up.
Bump anyone???
Old 08-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Clyde

Name: Clyde
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 318i
Did the old engine you took out run at all? If it did maybe you left something disconnected or put a connector on the wrong place. I would start with the basics, is there a spark at the plugs? Are the spark plugs getting wet, indicating that fuel is getting into the cylinder? Can you smell fuel?

It's easy to make a mistake when swapping an engine. I did it with a Ford Focus where I connected the fuel feed and return lines to the opposite unions, the result was the engine not fuelling and so wouldn't fire. Pull the plugs out and check is the best thing.

Other things that are easy to forget are the earthing cables that connect to various parts of the engine.

This is just a basic thought, I'm no BMW guru so I apologise if you've checked these areas as a matter of course.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:15 AM   #4
Bimmer23

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
Did the old engine you took out run at all? If it did maybe you left something disconnected or put a connector on the wrong place. I would start with the basics, is there a spark at the plugs? Are the spark plugs getting wet, indicating that fuel is getting into the cylinder? Can you smell fuel?

It's easy to make a mistake when swapping an engine. I did it with a Ford Focus where I connected the fuel feed and return lines to the opposite unions, the result was the engine not fuelling and so wouldn't fire. Pull the plugs out and check is the best thing.

Other things that are easy to forget are the earthing cables that connect to various parts of the engine.

This is just a basic thought, I'm no BMW guru so I apologise if you've checked these areas as a matter of course.
yeah the engine that i put on my e36 runs perfect before we took it out of the donor car, I cant really tell if i have spark because it wont turn over. I hear the fuel pump priming when i turn the key, and yes there is this 1 connector that is not connected im trying to figure out where it connects but it doesn't look its going to connect on anything inside the engine bay. This connector are by the wiring's that goes on top of the intake manifold and the Mass air intake sensor that connects to the air filter, then there is this one more connector i dont know where it goes. Thanks for replying anything right now is helpful, i dont want to bring it to the shop...

Last edited by Bimmer23; 08-07-2011 at 02:27 AM..
Old 08-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Clyde

Click here to set it up.
Ah, it won't turn over, that's a clue. Should be straightforward. You will need to locate the starter motor. On this there will be heavy cables running to the battery, there should also be a small wire, it may be a connector. This is the solenoid connection, you should have 12 volts here when you turn the key to the start position. Perhaps your loose connector is the connector for this?

If you don't have a meter to check the 12 volts you can use a test lamp.

If you get no further let me know and i will check the wiring diagram, maybe I can help you with what connectors/ wire colours/ relays/ fuses etc. to check.

There should be a definite click when you turn the key, that is the solenoid engaging.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Clyde

Click here to set it up.
One other thing, check all the earthing straps are connected to the engine. If the engine has no earth (ground) the starter motor won't operate. These are very easy to leave off when you swap an engine, and can cause all sorts of obscure problems.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
Bimmer23

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
One other thing, check all the earthing straps are connected to the engine. If the engine has no earth (ground) the starter motor won't operate. These are very easy to leave off when you swap an engine, and can cause all sorts of obscure problems.
Thanks for helping me, i really appreciate everything that you can help with. I checked the starter connection, they are all connected and when i try to start the car. I dont hear any of the clicking sound, i will double check tomorrow morning if any of the ground wire are hooked to the ground. But i took some pics to show you what connector i was talking about.

This is the connector that i cant figure out where it goes.

You can see here its connected to the connector to Mass air sensosr and other connector that connects to the intake manifold.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Bimmer23

Click here to set it up.
Bump!?!?!?!
Old 09-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
Clyde

Click here to set it up.
Hi, sorry for the delay. I'm not sure of the connector since my E36 is the M43 engine so the wiring may be different. If you can hook up a 12v test lamp to the connector, then turn the key to the crank position and see if the lamp lights, it may well be the starter solenoid connector. Try a 12v lamp with one wire connected to a metal part of the bodywork or the ground terminal of the battery, then the other wire to each of the wires in the connector in turn, followed by a crank test to see if the lamp lights.

Will check my engine when I get a chance to see if I can help identify the connector you have circled. It's possibly just there for an optional part that isn't fitted to your model, but it seems a good starting point.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
Clyde

Click here to set it up.
Just looking at the pictures the loose connector doesn't seem long enough to reach the starter, but it may plug into an extension cable that runs to it, I'll have to check for you and will check the wiring diagram.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:55 AM   #11
nhevynopal

Name: nhevynopal
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 93 318is
how is it going that plug probably connects to an actuator its like a valve if you takee the intake tube of you can see a vacuum line close to were the dipstick tube is bolted to the intake i am pretty shure that might be it it easy to miss also there is a ground on the passenger side that goes to the mount bracket make shure thats all good hopefully this can help thats if u dint figure it out by now