Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Tire, Wheels And Suspension Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Tire, Wheels And Suspension Forum Sponsored by: TireRack.com
Talk about tires and wheels , Discuss springs, coilovers, struts, sways, and all related topics for your Bimmer.

Old 08-07-2005, 04:36 PM   #1
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
Possible drop

Am not really a huge fan of dropping my car, I want to keep the smoothness of m ride, but just a little lower for a meaner look and a slight handeling upgrade.

but IF I do drop it, I'll probably go with:

UUC Tuned Spring Sets...
or
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
or
H&R Sport Springs

http://www.understeer.com/onlinestore-suspension.shtml

Scroll to about 1/3 down

Also, I hear that if you put lowering springs, you need to replace the struts/shocks

So I guess what am wanting to know is this:

I don't want to lower my car too much, but I still want to lower it, what would be the best "suspension upgrade" for me to do in that case?

What do you guys think?

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
EuroStyle

Name: EuroStyle
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 92 325i
Read my suspension review posted here --> e36 suspension

If you are lowering your car, which will include new shocks, make sure you replace the rear shock mounts. You might also want to consider upgrading your control arm bushings to either m3 ones or full race bushings (m3's are great IMO). Good luck.

-Matt
Clear corners~Painted bumpers/rockers~Dinan intake~UUC evo3 short shifter w/ delrin bushings~UUC dssr~UUC black tm w/ tme~UUC shift knob~Alpine head unit~H&R sport springs~BavAuto RSMs~SSR GT2 8.5x17 wheels~Bridgstone 235/40/R17 rubber
Old 08-07-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
Rooz

Well, I can't lower it too much, you got 17" I got 18"

And I think UUC has some really ncie control arms...

And also I don't know a all lto when it comes to suspensions, kind of a newb in that area...

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
defkon99

Name: defkon99
Rate My Car: 50 / 340
Your Ride: 1993 E36
ive got the h&r's with my 18" Hm2's with blstien sport shocks. mmm just right...
Old 08-07-2005, 08:15 PM   #5
Rooz

How you guys feel about this setup?

UUC Sachs Suspension Kit
+ UUC Adjustable Control Arms
+ E36 Suspension Install Kit

OF course my KEY concern still remains WILL THESE RUB? Since I have 18*8.5?

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Old 08-07-2005, 08:33 PM   #6
Rooz

But yeah, getting the new wheels is what kinda pushed me into dropping the car, since the diamater on the tires is bigger....

Kinda hate how one mod pushes you to the next one, but as someone's sig says "mods are like chips, you can't just have one"

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Old 08-08-2005, 03:19 AM   #7
Spieluhr

Name: Spieluhr
Title: ///M Driven
Click here to set it up.
^^^
that is the set up JR got and one of the main reasons he got the SAACHS system was because it didn't lower it a ton. You should wait until he gets his fully installed and have him give you the low down on it.

BMW, The Ultimate Driving Machine
Old 08-08-2005, 07:44 AM   #8
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooz
How you guys feel about this setup?

UUC Sachs Suspension Kit
+ UUC Adjustable Control Arms
+ E36 Suspension Install Kit

OF course my KEY concern still remains WILL THESE RUB? Since I have 18*8.5?
If the offset on your new rims matches the OEM rims (38-40mm), I think you should be okay. What size are your tires? It's not a severe drop, and don't be surprised if it's even a smaller one than you imagined. The drop is measured against a stock BMW at correct ride height from the factory, which means the shocks and struts are still new. As they age, the car will begin to sag. So depending on the condition of your current setup, you may already be lower than stock.

On another note, that suspension install kit is a bit pricey. If you're industrious enough, you can buy all those parts seperately and save $$$. But then again, one stop shop convenience is sometimes worth the extra cost.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:46 PM   #9
devinwwu

Name: devinwwu
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 49 / 340
Your Ride: `00 540i6 Alpine White, `96 740iL Aspen Silber
my h&Rs have a very similar ride qualityto the stock ride so far as i have noticed. no harshness. only time i noticed an added decrease in ride was when i went from 17s to 18s so you'e already done that
Old 08-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #10
Rooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieluhr
^^^
that is the set up JR got and one of the main reasons he got the SAACHS system was because it didn't lower it a ton. You should wait until he gets his fully installed and have him give you the low down on it.

If I do this it won't be until am fully done with my cams and manifold, so won't be until a month or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudesky_E36
If the offset on your new rims matches the OEM rims (38-40mm), I think you should be okay. What size are your tires? It's not a severe drop, and don't be surprised if it's even a smaller one than you imagined. The drop is measured against a stock BMW at correct ride height from the factory, which means the shocks and struts are still new. As they age, the car will begin to sag. So depending on the condition of your current setup, you may already be lower than stock.

On another note, that suspension install kit is a bit pricey. If you're industrious enough, you can buy all those parts seperately and save $$$. But then again, one stop shop convenience is sometimes worth the extra cost.

If I buy it I would proibably buy it all from Understeer and sicne I am putting down a decent amount of money on the cams + software I am sure they will be willing to give me some kind of discount

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Old 08-09-2005, 09:52 PM   #11
Rooz

A good amount of peops are Rec. the H&R Cup kit, how are those?

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Old 08-09-2005, 10:49 PM   #12
brien4787

Name: brien4787
Title: DelTaco
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: e36
bilstien coilovers
not too hard to install
: )
only... 1500? haha
Old 08-09-2005, 10:54 PM   #13
Rooz

Wow, nvm read a review on the H&R cup kit. It would be a 2.1" drop in front and a 1.7" in rear. That's way more than am wanting to drop it.

Am thinking like a 1.5"F and a 1.0"R would be great for me. Hence the fact as to why am considering the H&R Sport Springs.

WHAT IF:

I go with the H&R Sport springs, use my current shocks for now, BUT use the Install kit that UNdersteer sells:

Quote:
Why drive all over town looking for the parts you'll need to install new shocks and springs on your E36 3-series? This kit includes everything you need! The kit includes the following parts: E46 M3 rear shock mounts, M-Roadster rear shock mount reinforcement plates, rear shock mount gaskets, 3.2L M3 front shock tower reinforcement plates, front strut bearing gaskets, 10 lock nuts, zip ties to reinforce the bumpstops and a tube of Lock-tite Red.
here

Would I be ok?

Yeah 1500 is out of the question!

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Old 08-09-2005, 10:58 PM   #14
brien4787

Name: brien4787
Title: DelTaco
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: e36
bilstein sports with... maybe some eibach sports?
Old 08-10-2005, 02:46 AM   #15
///M Power

Name: ///M Power
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 26 / 340
Your Ride: 95 m3 turbo
1.5 inch drop? I thought you were looking for a soft stockish ride? Your ride is goign to be really rough if you drop it that much. I had Bilstein sports with H&R sports and they were great. Nice agressive drop and a bit stiff.

Stay away from coilovers unless you spend the extra money for ones with adjustable dampeners. This means you can adjust how soft your ride is. Youll almost never adjust your ride height.

What i recomend at Koni adjustables with eibach pro kits or H&R sport springs.

Are you still lookign for a softish ride or is that out of the picture?

Also, dont worry about control arms, they arent somethign you really need to change right now unless you have to. Its just extra money. And youll eventually get to them.

Eric BMW - Variable Vane Turbocharged