Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:49 PM   #1
Beater_Bimmer

Name: Beater_Bimmer
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1993 BMW 325i
My Dilemma: Fix my damn sunroof!!!

Alright I just got a 92 325is and I got a good deal on it but it needs some work and the sunroof is something I'd like to fix soon. Previous owner said it does leak if left in the rain and the thing had duct tape around the edges GHETTO. Anyway, today I want to see if I could find out what's going on with it and I cut the tape because its all melted to the roof (paint is coming one day too) and found that the actual sunroof part was just lying on top and nothing was holding it on besides the tape. Now, the motor seems to move all the parts correctly I just dont know how to mount the sunroof to the pulleys...I took a few pics but they didnt turn out great, I can take more if you guys need to see other parts. I'm just wondering if anyone here can point anything out thats missing or let me know what I need to do to fix this, its annoying. Me gusta the sunroof but too bad it doesnt work! Take a look and hopefully its an easy fix....

and here's a few pics of the beater bimmer....

Old 08-03-2005, 01:45 PM   #2
catalyst

Name: catalyst
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 195 / 340
Your Ride: 1994 325is
Buy a bentley manual, all your troubles will come to an end.

EDIT: i just took a look at the bentley, it doesnt have shit on the sunroof, doesnt explain removing or installing at all.

Maybe somebody else can help this dude out?
Old 08-03-2005, 03:44 PM   #3
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
Welcome to the forums!!!! First of all duck tape is the LAST thing you wanna put on your car. Youl see what i mean when u try to remove it. It pretty much destroys your paint, especially your clear coat. But since you said ur painting it, it should be fine. Since the bentley manual doesnt help, try a loacal mechanic, that may be ur best bet since they should be able to tell you whats wrong and hopefully how to put it back together.

Also SICK rims dude. Other than the sunroof issue your car is really nice.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE
Old 08-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #4
Beater_Bimmer

Click here to set it up.
Yea seriously, this sunroof problem is annoying me right now....trust me I sure as hell didnt put that duct tape on there and its gonna be FUN getting it off...

I've been doing some research and it looks like for some reason I'm missing a lot of parts that go in there, I've got no lifting arms or the blocks to attach it to the rails. But I didnt find someone parting out a 325is and he said I can have the whole sunroof setup for $40 and look for other cheap parts in person! So that's great news, hopefully itll go smootly and itll be fixed next week!

Thanks for the welcome guys!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:47 PM   #5
DEATH2000

Ill take pics of my sunroof tommorow for ya so u can see what it should look like,

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

Old 08-04-2005, 12:10 AM   #6
TerryY

Name: TerryY
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 7 / 340
Beater Bimmer
Just sent the section of the E31 repair manual on the sunroof to your listed email. It is in Adobe PDF and the design should be pretty close to the same as yours.

Terry

Aloha Oregon
'95 840
'98 SVT Cobra
Old 08-04-2005, 02:19 AM   #7
Beater_Bimmer

Click here to set it up.
Nice...thanks guys, got it Terry, just what I needed cause I wasnt sure how to put it all back together once I get it all anyway haha.

Death2k, that would be awesome to get some real pics so I know what its supposed to look like.

I'll keep you guys updated on what happens, should be an easy fix as long as I get all the little parts and hopefully nothing is actually broken, just missing!
Old 08-04-2005, 03:28 AM   #8
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
other than the obvious problem witht eh sunroof....and uhh...your duct tape roof..... nice car. i like the color... but something you're gonna hear from tons of people here....you need rims. lol. this is your only warning that until you get rims, "rims" will be the answer you'll hear from most people any time you ask what your next mod should be....that or maybe suspension.... its about a 50/50 split around here.

anyways, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:39 AM   #9
catalyst

Name: catalyst
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 195 / 340
Your Ride: 1994 325is
Hes already got rims man, M3 doublespokes are hawt.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:37 PM   #10
94bmw325i

Name: 94bmw325i
Title: Hellrot325
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 94 bmw 325i, 97 vw golf
yeah lol. Those are m3 rims.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:55 PM   #11
DEATH2000

Alright, i took a couple pic of my sunroof, sorry bout the quality. I hope these help a bit

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE