Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
rocpit1

Name: rocpit1
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 540I
1994 BMW 540I Transmission error still after swap

Hello I am a newbie here but have been reading these forums off and on for quite some time. I realy have enjoyed reading these post and trying to figure out whats going on with this car but now I am getting frustrated and really need your help. Before I get started I do need to say this car is running rough which if I recall correctly it was starting to do before I parked it. Some of the thing I do know now about it is 1. it does have a small oil leak either around the valve cover gasket, or intake manifold gasket. ( was originally told it was rear main seal but when I swapped the tranny It was not eaking)2. the maf senor is bad (due to it sitting up so long a friend helped me get it started by spaying starting fluid in air intake-I know) Which we did have to replace my fuel pump. And that is where we are at now.
Transmission 5HP-30
About 4 years ago I had the dreaded trans program error code and the trans would go into 3rd gear limp mode occasionally (which started about two weeks after I bought the car). When not in limp mode it would not shift smooth (I don't remember which gears it acted up in). Trans program finally came on and stayed on all the time so I parked it. This past december I decided to start driving it again and see what I could do to fix it. Well it was still doing the same thing. I read somewhere it could be the shift position indicator. I took it apart and cleaned it and put it back together (it was all green and black corrosion on the contacts). It actually did better and trans program would come and go again. Well I was driving it home in January from work and pulled up at a stop sign and it started out in e2 and stayed. Never would up shift. (Tran program error was not on display at this time) I pulled over, restarted several times and same thing, low gear, park and reverse is all I could get(no trans program error lighting up though). Everyone said I needed another transmission. Just finished putting it in a (used one with around 100,000 miles on it New filter and Castrol Import ATF fluid) It is doing the exact same thing. I drove it around last night and it was 2nd gear, reverse, and park. Now today I go and crank it and try again. Now I am back exactly where I was 4 years ago, Trans program error limp mode 3rd gear. Any advice you can give me ar tell me what parts Ineed to repace, clean etc. Pease advise me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My wife and I are having to share a car right now when I am not borrowing a friends car. Thank you in advance, Rock