Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 5-Series > E12, E28, E34, E39, E60
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E12, E28, E34, E39, E60 General discussion and technical help for all year 5 series cars.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:58 PM   #1
pyro

Name: pyro
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
M50 Won't start

I have a 1991 525i and the engine would flood itself out every time I would crank it. When you remove the fuel pump fuse it will start up and rev until 3k rpm. So I checked fuel pump relay, fuel pump wiring, Fuel pump, and the Fuel pressure regulator (FPR). No work. Then I switched out the injectors. Still no work. Then I finely burrowed someone’s ecu and it started and I drove it for about 20 minutes w/ out problem so I took that out and returned it. (That run was on a known working set of injectors)(From my e32). While waiting for the new computer to arrive I switched the injectors back to the original ones. So hers the bad f*ckin news. Got new ecu online plugged it in ran like a beauty, drove to get gas, then got taco bell, got back in car started it and got back on the road home. While slowing down to stop at a light all of the engine lights went on and I started to laugh then I realized it was something serious and the engine had stopped running. So I quickly shift into park and crank and I get the dreaded smell of a flooded engine. Same frigin problem all over again the car fry’s this brand new computer in the same way it messed up the old one. Same exact symptoms. So now back to square one -200$ and a broken glass that I threw out of anger.

Need help ASAP so thanks in advance guys.

Now I have narrowed it down to something on the car is making the car eat ECU's this is its 3rd one. The second was a rebuilt version of the first one.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:32 AM   #2
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
are you getting some kind of debree in your ECU? because the car shouldnt fry the ecu.. at all, i dont even think thats possible, other than of course if it gets water... hmm weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 07-07-2005, 12:59 AM   #3
jrhaile

Name: jrhaile
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 114 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 Dinan Turbo, 95 M52 Turbo
Change your oil to something thinner. As stupid as this sounds, I had the exact same problem when I first got my car and I did everything you mentioned with no success. I was even able to get it started with your same method. It ended up being the oil was too thick and covering the spark thus not letting the car start. And when repeated attempts, the car ends up flooding. I switched to synthetic and haven't had the issue since.

Also check your plugs/wires and make sure there is no oil on them or anything.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:52 AM   #4
pyro

Click here to set it up.
The thing is when I slap in a brand new ECU it runs like a champ with no problems what so ever. Today it ran and died while at a stop light. So when ever I stick a known working ecu in it runs until the car kills it. Been through 3 ECU's Also I did change the oil because the old oil was mixed with gas and wayyyyy to thin. Thinner than water (well almost)
Old 07-07-2005, 11:14 PM   #5
pyro

Click here to set it up.
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12087 thats what iv got on that forum so far.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:56 PM   #6
pyro

Click here to set it up.
still stumped do any of you have any ideas?