Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Lighting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Lighting
BAVTOYS.COM- To see and be SEEN
Sponsored by: BavToys.com
Discussion of headlights, fog lights, blinkers, and any other car lighting.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
DJKapeesh

Name: DJKapeesh
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 --> 528i
Ebay CCFL Angel Eyes on e39 99' BMW

So here it is.
Haven't seen anyone post anything about ebay brands or sellers yet so I had to be the text dummy.

Bought a pair of CCFL Angel Eyes retro fitted from ebay about a week ago.
Just received them in the mail. This will be my personal log to see how they stand the test of time and weather.

Day 1: Installed the Headlights in about 2-3 hours. Headlights did not come with directions and the wiring was pretty iffy. (That being said I have made my own angel eyes from curtain rods with leds, wired them and placed them into a damn Lincoln LS before on my own then rewired them into the headlight unit using only city lights lol.) So the housing looked pretty, the fitment was off by no more than maybe 5%. I managed to fit them into the car properly and using a pair of wires I had, wired the city lights to my CCFL to provide the power temporarily until I buy the "Inverter" Which they did not come with. The lights aren't HID supported or at least not yet until I decide I want to take on that project in the near future.

Vendor: parasitesingle
Ebay Auction: 97-03 BMW E39 5 SERIES CCFL HALO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS
Quality of look: 4/5 *
Quality of Seal: Unknown for now (Will post after rain)
CCFL Quality: Works fine looks fine for now, will know more when I install Inverter.

Pros: CCFL w/ a great price already Installed. Pair of Retro fit headlights for under 200 bucks!
Cons: Not HID, No Inverter, Not an Exact fit, Wiring a little off w/ no instructions.

Pictures:

Here is the pair that I Made in the past:

Let me know if you have any questions. If not comment up post enjoy.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
DJKapeesh

Click here to set it up.
Day 3:

It rained this morning. Hard or so I'm told because I was sleep when it happened. Went outside to check for leaks in the headlight unit and all seems ok for now. I'm going to take the car to AutoZone and try to switch the power from my "city lights" to my fuse box if I have enough time.

Just to be safe I'm going to take the car through a drive through when I get the chance and we'll see first hand how they hold up against leaks.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
DJKapeesh

Click here to set it up.
Thumbs up Retro Fit my OEM HID's on to the new headlights

Original Pictures first:

So I bought these lights plain, bulbs attached said no HID's would work yada yada. But the real problem is I can't see shit at night and I don't like looking like squar with a standard yellow headlights.

So here is what I did to get the old OEM Ballast into my new Ebay Headlights.

Took the ballists out of its holder and opened the Bulb housing. Took the black ring and stuck the bulb down into the headlight housing (It didn't fit of course). Put the black holder that I unscrewed from old headlights over the bulb after putting a small dab of glue on the bulb to semi stick it down and put a dab of glue on the holder to semi stick to the new headlights and stick the bulb down.

Let it dry for about 2 hours and took them to the car. Bought double sided mounting tape and mounted the HID Ballist down (DDM Style ) Then placed the headlight back in and wired everything up. I removed the Rubber from the old headlight projector and wrapped it around the HID plug in area. This is no wear near a perfect fit so I plugged it in and left the rubber over it (Loose like a sleeve). Well Everything plugged in and drove it today, so far so good.

The real test will be is it going to collect moisture or not?

LMK what do you guys think?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
DJKapeesh

Click here to set it up.
Thumbs down Finally Got my Inverters today!

Awesome! Got my inverters in the mail and when directly to AutoZone to hook these bad boys up!

Well finally hooked them up! Guess what! They aren't fuck*ng CCFL Rings at ALL! Turned the power on after wiring them up myself with a few caps and crimps, both rings in both headlights instantly went dead.... My guess is they aren't genuine CCFL Angel Eyes and that much power completely fried them!

My synapses:
Awesome buy for headlights that look like genuine M5 retrofits but not if your looking for the real deal!
  1. No d2n fitment
  2. Not actually CCFL

Someone will be getting an email from meal tonight...