Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Tech Talk > Car Audio and Electronics
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Car Audio and Electronics
Skyler O'brien Now On ITunes
Sponsored by: SKOB on itunes
Discuss sub and speaker setups, GPS navigation, XM radio, and anything else related to car audio and electronics.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #1
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
E46 Style Sharkfin GPS Nav on E36

Hey, I'm looking into rigging up an e46 style sharkfin to act as the antenna for my gps on an e36. Has anyone heard of this being done before or can anyone point me in the right direction for some suggestions on this?

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2005, 06:17 AM   #2
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Looks kinda iffy . . I'm guessing you could lose signal strength by using a different antenna and/or cabling than Pioneer's. But I don't know too much about this yet. I haven't seen or heard of anyone doing this, so maybe there's a good reason why no one has? If it's a matter of fitting Pioneer's antenna into the sharkfin, maybe I can help; I work in a machine shop. Definitely involves removing the headliner- not to piss on your parade, but it might be more of a PITA than it's worth.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:13 AM   #3
komodo

Hum, maybe I could just take a stock e46 sharkfin and mod that splicing wires....

Old 06-22-2005, 01:26 AM   #4
Spieluhr

Name: Spieluhr
Title: ///M Driven
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
think about the fact that you will have to drill into the top of your car or your windshield to install this thing. both of these are things i would never dare doing.

BMW, The Ultimate Driving Machine
Old 06-22-2005, 01:49 AM   #5
komodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieluhr
think about the fact that you will have to drill into the top of your car or your windshield to install this thing. both of these are things i would never dare doing.
That's VERY true.........

Actually wait, I think the sharkfin is just a strong adhesive.

Old 06-22-2005, 05:10 AM   #6
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo
That's VERY true.........

but you have to dril to get the wire to the sharkfin

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:22 AM   #7
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo
Hum, maybe I could just take a stock e46 sharkfin and mod that splicing wires....
Well, that's what I would go with, and not any aftermarket type, b/c none of them look right compared to the OEM; the fin is thicker than the knockoff's I've seen. But if it employs some sort of coax cable you could experience some serious signal loss by splicing it?? Hard to tell w/o looking at the actual parts & connections.

Quote:
Yea, but your wiring/cable still has to go through the roof. But you should be fine if you do it right: use a center punch to create a dimple where you want the hole, that way the drill it doesn't 'walk' while you try to drill in. Otherwise you'll scratch up the area around the intended hole. Then smooth the hole over, apply primer paint to prevent rust, and use a rubber grommet to help seal the hole and protect the wiring.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:26 AM   #8
Chris

Click here to set it up.
i still think it'd be pretty risky to do it yourself, i'd chekc and see if you can getting done at united bmw at a decent price first, it may be cheaper that repainting your whole roof if you screw it up of if you get the hole off center...this is probably one of those things that are better left to a pro so if something goes wrong it comes out of their pocket not yours...

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:28 AM   #9
Spieluhr

Name: Spieluhr
Title: ///M Driven
Click here to set it up.
I would honestly rather put the antenna in a hidden spot in the trunk or something. This procedure is not worth the risk to damage your car or your pocketbook

BMW, The Ultimate Driving Machine
Old 06-22-2005, 05:57 AM   #10
Chris

Click here to set it up.
have you thought of wiring it directly to your car? like how thenewer cars have no antenna because the whole car acts as an antenna? or you could hardwire your radio antenna like that and use the old radio antenna as the GPS antenna....

Old 06-22-2005, 10:21 AM   #11
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
They got some for sale here:

http://www.bimmian.com/36

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:29 AM   #12
komodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieluhr
I would honestly rather put the antenna in a hidden spot in the trunk or something. This procedure is not worth the risk to damage your car or your pocketbook
Hum, I'm starting to agree....