Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Tech Talk > Car Audio and Electronics
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Car Audio and Electronics
Skyler O'brien Now On ITunes
Sponsored by: SKOB on itunes
Discuss sub and speaker setups, GPS navigation, XM radio, and anything else related to car audio and electronics.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
jleppo

Name: jleppo
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1988 BMW 325i
E30 replacing power antenna with mast

I have an '88 325i that the power antenna snapped off when a piece of Masonite blew over my car on the highway and clipped it off at the bushing.
Rather than replace it with a new power mast, I'd like to take out the motor unit and replace the antenna with a non retracting mast antenna. I found a good thread on replacing the motor unit with a Z3 antenna base, which appears to be the easiest, but of course it's the most expensive and most difficult to find (the Z3 antenna base). Also, I looked at the wiring going to the power mast, and it looks like a sadistic electrician's nightmare.
I also found another thread on another forum about installing a Metra antenna base, however there are practically zero details on the wiring and what connects to what (Which is what most folks would want to know, I think).
I have an after-market Pioneer DEH-P2600 head unit that had been installed by the previous owner, and for now it's fine for my purposes.
What I'm looking for is:
A) an inexpensive solution (like under $60), preferably something universal and easy to find.
B) The specific parts needed including any mounting parts, and instructions.
C) How to wire it, what to remove, what to leave in, what connects to what, in enough detail that a fairly mechanically inclined but electrically fairly clueless person (moi) can follow.
D) Ideally it will be some sort of base that will accommodate just about any screw-in mast - I have a short rubber mast that's pretty decent, or I may go to a shorter stubby type.

Thanks, all!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
lorenzalizares

Name: lorenzalizares
Title: Read Only Club
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: honda jazz
power antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleppo View Post
I have an '88 325i that the power antenna snapped off when a piece of Masonite blew over my car on the highway and clipped it off at the bushing.
Rather than replace it with a new power mast, I'd like to take out the motor unit and replace the antenna with a non retracting mast antenna. I found a good thread on replacing the motor unit with a Z3 antenna base, which appears to be the easiest, but of course it's the most expensive and most difficult to find (the Z3 antenna base). Also, I looked at the wiring going to the power mast, and it looks like a sadistic electrician's nightmare.
I also found another thread on another forum about installing a Metra antenna base, however there are practically zero details on the wiring and what connects to what (Which is what most folks would want to know, I think).
I have an after-market Pioneer DEH-P2600 head unit that had been installed by the previous owner, and for now it's fine for my purposes.
What I'm looking for is:
A) an inexpensive solution (like under $60), preferably something universal and easy to find.
B) The specific parts needed including any mounting parts, and instructions.
C) How to wire it, what to remove, what to leave in, what connects to what, in enough detail that a fairly mechanically inclined but electrically fairly clueless person (moi) can follow.
D) Ideally it will be some sort of base that will accommodate just about any screw-in mast - I have a short rubber mast that's pretty decent, or I may go to a shorter stubby type.

Thanks, all!
my power antenna broke, I dont know if I have to replace it or not, or just repair it, but i dont know how? do i have to bring it to the nearest auto repair shop.? thanks.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Rick

Name: Rick
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 86 E30
Howdy, just joined this forum and found your question which happens to be mine as well. Did you ever recieve any advice? I do not find an answer to your question as i look through the site.
Thanx-rick