Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Tire, Wheels And Suspension Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Tire, Wheels And Suspension Forum Sponsored by: TireRack.com
Talk about tires and wheels , Discuss springs, coilovers, struts, sways, and all related topics for your Bimmer.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:49 AM   #16
SeanH

Name: SeanH
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
IMO BMW suspension is best left stock
Get aftermarket suspension, and tell me that one more time.

These cars, on stock suspension, are better than many. But, imagine, upgrade to just H&R Sports with Bilstein Sports, and you're car will handle almost 10x better.

Sway bars make a difference, but the thing you will want to upgrade first is suspension. Why bother with sways on a stock suspension??

Also - upgrading any suspension components WILL put more strain on bushings - Subframe, trailing arm, control arm, and ball joints too. If these are going out, they will go out faster.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:08 PM   #17
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
does the strut bar hlp?

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:54 PM   #18
Ball325

Name: Ball325
Click here to set it up.
I have the Suspension Techniques Front and Rear bars, along with all delrin and urethane bushings and mounts. I also have the H&R Race springs with Bilstein shocks. Also have E36 M3 front strut mounts and an eibach front strut brace. I have an E30 325is. Ill put it to you this way, it handles better than most full time track cars. With race tires it handles incredibly. The only downside to all that on the road I can feel the paint
Old 04-20-2005, 08:13 PM   #19
dwrx04

Name: dwrx04
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: your mama
When you upgrade your sway bars do bushings and end links at the same time...especially if you get the track sways. You will snap a bushing and prolly slam it a curb. Then you will be buying a new wheel, and control arm. Sway bars help but the best suspension mad you could ever do is get better tires. BMW have awesome suspension but tires are a must.

I AM THE VANILLA GORILLA
member of the..."The bears can smell the menstration...................sercret society for really hung men."
I AM HETEROSENSATIONAL!!!!!!!!!1!!!eleven!!!!11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT View Post
*sniff sniff*

DDm smells like a Jim Powell venture to me. No thanks. I'd be afraid of the mucus trail the call would leave all over my phone. Although in all reality you would probably be fine ordering from them, I wouldn't patronize the place if someone knocked on the door and paid me to run their product
Old 04-20-2005, 09:06 PM   #20
///M Power

Name: ///M Power
Rate My Car: 26 / 340
Your Ride: 95 m3 turbo
Your car already has sway bars. They really aren't that thin. No, they are not worth it as your first suspension modification. You should save up for springs/shocks or coilovers if you really want to feel a difference. I added aftermarket sway bars after my shocks and springs and barely noticed a difference, but rather lowering the car with stiffer shocks helped far more than anything i've ever added. A strut tower brace is not worth it as a first modification aswell. Beware that stifferening up the body too much can actually hurt your performance. Also, the only truly effective strut tower brace is one that is welded to the strut towers.

Save your money.

Eric BMW - Variable Vane Turbocharged
Old 04-20-2005, 09:15 PM   #21
97alpM3

Name: 97alpM3
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
LOL what are you talking about? front sway bar helps prevent understeer in RWD has nothing to do with wheelies LOL
Actually... its called a drag set up... the front sway bar does more than keep down body roll.. it prevents a lot of the torsion... and weight of the front end... from flying backwards... I'll find a way to describe it to you when the internet isnt being slow in Iraq.... but a lot of drag people use this method of either removing or downsizing this addition to put more weight on their rear tires... ...

Easy concept.. if I could actually show you the inner workings of it...

The book "How to make a car handle" also describes this.. but that book is at home at the moment.. and I'm far from there...

Les
Old 04-20-2005, 10:13 PM   #22
Rooz

Thx a lot everyone for your input in this. Well, then I guess my new question is, what shocks/springs would you recomend for a minor lowering of my car, am not that great of a fan of lowering, but I don't see the arm in lowering it an inch or so

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:36 PM   #23
///M Power

Name: ///M Power
Rate My Car: 26 / 340
Your Ride: 95 m3 turbo
Firstly, lowering your BMW 2 inches is considered excessive. Noone lower their BMW that much, basically.
For a short drop you should look into DINAN ($$$) because they slightly lower your car. Also the sport sprigns on the e36 barely lower your car. What I would recomend for one of the smaller drops is Racing dynamics because I believe they lower the front only an inch and the rear about .75 inches. Most other brands will lower the front about 1.25 inches and the rear about an inch.

Good LUCK!

Eric BMW - Variable Vane Turbocharged
Old 04-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #24
Rooz

thx for your input

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Old 04-21-2005, 11:45 PM   #25
Ball325

Click here to set it up.
other than shocks and springs if you really want to feel the car and have it respond much much quicker and just have that feeling in every corner that you could be going much much faster. Than get urethane or delrin bushings and mounts. I mean I drove the car with original mounts, and bushings for almost a year than I replaced every bushing and mount on the car with either delrin or urethane, my front control arm bushings are Stainless. This made all the difference in the world. It felt like a different car. You could feel everything the car was doing. You felt very in control and the car wouldnt make a move without you feeling it. It was just an amazing feeling. If you want to go that extra mile and get the most out of your suspension wether it race or sport get stiffer bushings and mounts for everything. You wont regret it. They last longer than rubber and you wont have that few inches or so of play in cornering the car they wont stretch like the rubber ones.

Only downside is you loose a lot of ride quality but thats not really a big deal.

Let me put it this way, with rubber you can feel joints on a concrete hwy. with delrin you can feel the strip of paint across the road at every light.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:03 AM   #26
Rooz

Well, I'd like to keep the car smooth, but I just want a little better grip on the road for those fast corners that I take, oh, let's say once or twice a week if not more

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Old 04-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #27
Ball325

Click here to set it up.
well if the road is smooth the ride is smooth. But with delrin and urethane the only thing really absorbing the bumps are the tire sidewalls and the shocks and springs. Instead of any vibration being dampened by a rubber mount. The most noticable difference is how responsive the car is. When building my car I knew that there were countless cars out there with a stronger motor than my M20. Although we worked it to be a Track/Street motor. I still recognized the fact that although some cars have more motor, they also wieght more and most are front wheel drive. So i decided to set my car up to be one of the best handling cars on the road. I succeeded. Seeing as you have a 328 which has quite a bit more power than my M20 but still no match for an M3 or some other cars. Yet you dont need to have lots of horsepower. Because Horsepower is no match for grip, braking power and balls. So making your car handle better than just about anything is a major advantage. People that are into drag racing might not understand or respect a car that can handle, thier main focus is horsepower. But a Road Racer will respect a proper mixture of Horsepower and Handling. So its up to you. The Roads where I live in PA are bad. PA has been voted over and over again the worst roads in teh country. With my set up its not that bad. The holes that are real bad that you feel normally are only exaggerated and such. But if the roads are smooth your ride quality wont get much worse. That will really depend on what springs and tires you select. Shocks will matter too but most street shocks arent generally too stiff.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:17 PM   #28
Rooz

I guess my point is that I just want a little handeling upgrade, so I don't really need to lose any smoothness of my ride to aqcuire more handeling...

I dunno, how are strut bars?

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Old 04-23-2005, 12:41 AM   #29
Ball325

Click here to set it up.
I dont think a strut bar will affect the ride. It will make the car feel more rigid and more responsive. Alot more than you might think it would too.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:45 PM   #30
austin

Name: austin
Rate My Car: 155 / 340
my car has almost no body roll with the suspension technique swaybars. im at the point now where i dont know how good it handles, because the tires break free too easy.

i cant honestly say of a before or after. i think there might have been something up with my old suspension. the springs/shocks/swaybars actually made my car smoother and take the bumps better.