Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
BostonGreen318

Name: BostonGreen318
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 318is & 1999 318ti
How to Remove Left Splice Panel Safely?

Hello all,

My current daily driver has been experiencing an ongoing issue with the windshield wipers. Instead of shutting off when in the 'off' position, they continue functioning until the car is shut off and started back up again a total of three times. In this case, three is apparently the magic number to turn the wiper mechanism off entirely. My hunch, in this situation, is that the relay associated with the windshield wipers is shot.

Using the Bentley Service Manual, I discovered the location of the wiper relay situated in something referred to as the "Splice Panel" underneath the left side of the dashboard. Removing the left side dash panel and knee bolster, I found an overwhelming cluster of wires and beside that, on the left wall, is what appears to be a relay harness carrying approximately four relays (Unloader relay, Wiper relay, Wiper Motor relay, and a Starter Immobilization relay).

My question is, how does one remove this "Splice Panel" in order to have access to the relays positioned there? Does the black plastic panel slide out and if so, in what direction? Also, how much force should be applied? I really do not want to damage any of the components nestled back there.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited by BostonGreen318; 11-06-2010 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Added info.