Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
m1k3o 325auto

Name: m1k3o 325auto
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1993 e36 325 ise
E36 BMW 325 auto transmission/gearbox noise?

hi i am new to this site and would really appreciate any genuine advice that you may have to offer.

I have a 93 bmw e36 325 auto that has recently developed a constant noise that is only present when driving (with transmission hot or cold) and gets loulder as you increase speed it normally starts at about 30mph and does not affect the drive or selection of gears which is faultless.

i think it is possibly from the transmission as the noise seems to be coming from the gear selector area the noise is best described as very similar to putting a peice of card on a push bike wheel however the noise can only be heard inside the vehicle.

before now this noise has been a minor irritation until today when there was one lould bang and the noise got loulder and now starts at 10mph there is still no difference in the drive etc...

thanks in advance for any help
Old 09-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
ryanday21

Name: ryanday21
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 98 328i
bmw put excellent sound deadning in the transmission tunnel on the underside of the car. unfourtunatly after a few years it seperates itself from the body of the car...i dont know if the heat seperates the glue or what..i just rebuilt the engine in my car and discoverd it when i removed the transmission...if you dont have any drivability issues i would start there...if it is the case...its not that hard to fix..remove the exaust assembly..cats and all...remove the heat shield between the exust and transmission...then you wil be able to visually see the output shaft and the driveline....above that will be the sound deadning material..mine was actually wearing down the rubber on the driveshaft! other people have seen the same issues...just clean it really well and use a good two part epoxy to glue iit back up....good luck