Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 5-Series > E12, E28, E34, E39, E60
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E12, E28, E34, E39, E60 General discussion and technical help for all year 5 series cars.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
m3doc24

Name: m3doc24
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1989 BMW E34 535iA
Red face Interior lights out

My e34 '89 535iA has the interior light problem. They do work when the switch is turned on, but will not work when they are in the 'auto on' position when the door is opened or when the ignition is turned off. The bulbs are OK, no blown fuses, door switches are good and I've even swapped the GM with a known good one to no avail. When I swap the GM the lights turn on and stay on unless I manually turn them to the middle 'off' position. Also I've read that if I swap out the GM with one from an E34 built after 9/91 that it enables ALL my windows to be 1-touch vs. only the driver's window now. Is this correct? While I'm at it isn't the OBC display suppose to show up at the bottom of the Speedo cluster when you push the left stalk in? Currently it will only show the temp if I turn the ignition switch to first position, but when I start the car it doesn't work at all. One more thing, I don't have any fog lights and the "fog light out" warning displays constantly. If were to bridge the 2 fog light connections at each side w/ a wire, paper clip, etc. would that satisfy the system that there is a complete connections or am I'm on the wrong track if so please advise as to how I can turn the warning light out. Please excuse the verbose post, but as you can see I have s few problems

Thanks,

m3doc24