Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
joeyp770

Name: joeyp770
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1992 325is
my ride's AC system

Hello to the fine world of UnitedBimmer. I drive a 92 325is with a production date of 4/92. I wanted to post something about my AC because I have spend all of my money and time trying to get it working. When I bought the car it had no working AC, that was explained to me. I decided to try to fix the AC. I have done quite a few projects since getting the car almost a year ago. So far, so good. So AC bring it on!

First thing I did was buy the AC belt. Wouldn't it be nice if that were the only issue? I bought the belt and slapped it on with my Bentley manual in hand. Easy, Peezy. Went to crank the car and the journey gets interesting. The car would not start. The compressor is stuck and so is the pully.

Second step upcoming. I looked in to replacing compressor and the Bentley makes this look like a 30 min job. Called a couple of shops in Atl and they want 1000-1200 to touch the AC compressor. So I looked around on the internet and found a guy in NC that sells used compressors on ebay for Bimmers starting at 80 bucks. Three days later I am holding a compressor out of a 98 M3 and a guarantee that it works. Being the sucker I am I bought a R12- 134a conversion to convert my lines and charge the compressor. Soon I would be stripping bolts in front of my apartment. As foreshadowed, I strpped the 5m hex bolts on top of the compressor. I managed to get the compressor off by removing the line from the compressor to the condenser. Once I got the compressor off I was able to break the bolts inside using a bearhug-hammer method. I put the line back on in the apartment and put the new compressor on the car with ease. I might mention that I did have to drain the cooling system and remove the reservoir with the radiator cap, it gave me plenty of room to work. After installing the belt, I was ready to charge or so I thought.

The freon I used supposedly has oil in the charge. So I didn't think I had to put oil in the compressor. I turned on the car and the AC and the compressor would not kick in. That made sure that it would not take a charge. I tried charging it and got about 150g in the lines. The charge would not take. The can of freon had a little gauge that reads the charge and it was in the red reading system malfunction.

I called the very helpful gentleman from the store on ebay and he told me that I was going to have to pull a vaccum to charge it. He said it would not take freon until I vaccumed the lines. I called the local tire store and he said he would vaccum the lines for 40 bucks. I met him at the shop and he said he would blow up the compressor if it didnt have some oil it. He also said I should replace the receiver/dryer. I went to NAPA and bought the receiver and some oil. And this where my ride's AC system stands. It currently has a good compressor that will not turn on installed and the belt is on as well.

I plan on replacing the receiver/dryer this weekend. I now have a buddy who will vaccum my lines with an air compressor attachment. So after I install the receiver, I plan on adding oil to the compressor, then vaccuming the lines, and finally charging the system.

I do have a couple of questions that I would like to ask, if you would be so kind. First of all, I do not know which line is which. I do not have experience with this but I do consider myself a weekend warrior with auto repair. Can anyone tell me which line is vaccum and which one is not? Which one do I charge? I have one line that the r-12 adapter fits close to the firewall and I have one line that is exactly the same size close to the radiator in the front of the car. Please feel free to comment with anything helpful. Before you say it, I realize I am a noob from noobie hell, please dont make fun. This job has reduced my mechanical confidence by leeps and bounds. Any help in this extreme time of need will be rewarded with virgins and/or treasure in heaven.

Last edited by joeyp770; 06-22-2010 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: spacing
Old 06-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
picabu

Name: picabu
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 318i
The adapter by the firewall is your low side....it's where you would charge/vacumm.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
joeyp770

Name: joeyp770
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1992 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by picabu View Post
The adapter by the firewall is your low side....it's where you would charge/vacumm.
Wow! Big ups! Thanks for replying. That is what I thought but I have seen so many different setups online. Majority of the setups I have seen have two service ports by the firewall. Thanks again!