Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
championc

Name: championc
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 E36 Compact 316i
OBDII Data - and Error P0170

Hi all,

I have a BMW 316i 1.9 (M43). I'm getting a P0170 error code and I'm trying to find out what part I need to replace. It points to the Lambda O2 Sensor but I just want to be as sure as I can be. I have an ELM327 based OBDII reader and it registers the following:-

Long Term Fuel % Trim Bank 1 = 20%

I also have a possible problem with the Intake Air Temperature. Sometimes, the sensor fails to read anything (for just one second) and then itís OK again.
There are two items which show ďNO DATAĒ which Iíve no idea if a sensor is broken if itís simply a case that there is no sensor at all. The No Data items are the Fuel Pressure and Intake Manifold Pressure.

I have a list of all my readings with the car simply idling. Are the expected values for these published anywhere so I can compare what Iím getting against what I should get ?

C
Old 05-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Big Evil

Name: Big Evil
Title: Moderator
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 BMW 525i, 1987 325is, 1986 325
Is that fuel trim plus or minus? And it's POSSIBLE the sensor is fine, you just have a vacuum leak somewhere that the system can no longer compensate for. I'd have the vac system checked first (smoke it, look for leaks), then have a stab at the sensor.
Big Evil, The BMW driving monster of the American Southwest (Currently on BMW #5)
Old 05-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
ireestar

Name: ireestar
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: e36 m50/m3 turbo 1994
yes big evil is right or get a multi meter and check the voltage from the lamda it should be under 1volt or beta still if you can get snap on scan tool and do a lve data when car is running ifnot and you need any po codes read let me know i have the 2010 auto data and fault step by step guide.......IREE
Old 05-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
championc

Click here to set it up.
Many thanks for the reply

I have a copy of Digimoto 4.03 and so can do live data while driving. Looks like my Lamda sensor voltage values are OK - yes ?

You can select any value and watch it on a chart which updates a few times every second. It was from this that I saw the Intake Temp dropping down to zero now and again. I'll run a chart on the Lamda tomorrow.

Here's a screenshot of my general values

Last edited by championc; 05-16-2010 at 06:15 PM..
Old 05-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
ireestar

Click here to set it up.
Ill double check in work for you mte and get bk to you tomorrow......iree
Old 05-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
championc

Click here to set it up.
Have you forgotten me ?

C
Old 05-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Big Evil

Name: Big Evil
Title: Moderator
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 BMW 525i, 1987 325is, 1986 325
Bank 1 sensor 1 should be switching continuously between rich and lean (that's how you know it's working) sensor 2 (the one after the cat) should be steady (that's how you know the cat is working). This is what the computer looks for and if it doesn't see a pre-programed parameter of switching and a steady #2 sensor it throws a code that SHOULD tell you what is wrong. The thing is, if you have a vac leak you can run lean and it's not a faulty sensor, the computer does not monitor the vac system. Get the vac system smoked, if its tight with no leaks, replace the sensor. They can get old and start slow switching which can also throw that code.
Big Evil, The BMW driving monster of the American Southwest (Currently on BMW #5)
Old 05-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
ireestar

Click here to set it up.
sorry mate been so busy have youdone wha evil said check for vac leaks if no leaks change bank 1 02 sensor these engines always have breather probs......iree
Old 06-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
kazamali

Name: kazamali
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 99 M3
Yep, the guys are right on this... check for vacuum leaks AND possibly fuel pressure. Your pump could also be going weak and not keeping up with demand (or clogged fuel filter), thus causing the ECU to trim the fuel positive. When you test fuel pressure at idle, crimp the return fuel hose and see if the pressure goes up. If it doesn't, then you have a pump/filter issue.

As for the ECT readings, I use a similar logging software and had to up the sample rate to keep it steady...either that or the ECT sensor is going out?

As for the readings that say NO DATA, you're fine.. those settings aren't available for our cars.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
Dries

Name: Dries
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 316i e46
Hello, people
I have same the problem fuel work out bank1 p0170 wrongly code I him have observed that air mass meter sensor was not well or dirty I have him with carburettor spout bus spray then am long ride me gerijde 400 KM then burn wrong the code there fulguration after I have decision the steker of the luchtmassasensor separately now couple drive I without slightly wrong the code to contract. Is that in fact influenced concerning the engine or something else because what I weet which sensor checks only concerning dirty air which ends up air filter and that air filter outfit as new. Here someone can more explaining for me.
http://www.youfreeweb.com/forum1/