Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
irocj12

Name: irocj12
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2002 325I
2002 bmw 325i rear tail light issue

Does anybody have any knowledge of this if so then please pass this information on and contact BMW Headquarters ie Germany and BMW North America. Here's the problem: Both rear tail lights are not working. If you take a look at your tail light assembly inside the trunk of the BMW and disconnect the connectors you will see at both the male and female end that they are fusing together slowly. The male and female connectors are sparking because there is no insulation there because the tail light circuitry at the circuit board has a high current problem. I contacted 3 BMW Service depts and they have informed me that this is a current problem and that they see several of these come in for this. I ask BMW why come there is no recall for this and they clearly stated that BMW headquarters has not issued one. I have been informed that this is a very costly fixed somewhere in the price range of $500 to $600 for BMW to fix and if you have a mechanic like I do he will charge me $350 to $450 to fix. My mechanic has fixed about 20 of these in past year and a half. My mechanic use to work for BMW until he opened his own shop strictly working on foreign cars. He is the one who informed me to get in touch with the powers to be at BMW to investigate this issue. I strongly feel that BMW should absorb the cost on this repair because this is not a normal wear and tear part. Since BMW is aware of this and know that this is issue then they should be accountable. Not only will this cause a fire in your BMW but you cannot pass inspection unless you pay for the costly repair.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
irocj12

Name: irocj12
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2002 325I
Reply from bmw usa

Dear Mr. Jackson:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding the problems you are having with your 2002 BMW 3 Series. I apologize for the issues and inconvenience you have experienced with your tail lights.

The actual length of life of any given vehicle part is dependent on a number of factors including care, maintenance, use, and climate. During the life of a vehicle, it is natural to expect that some parts may have to be replaced due to mechanical failures, or normal wear and tear.

The warranty for your vehicle provided coverage up to 4 years or 50,000 miles. Although we empathize with your situation, because your vehicle has exceeded the warranty parameters by a considerable margin, BMW of North America, LLC cannot assume responsibility for the cost of this repair.

Recalls are specific to a vehicle's identification number (VIN). I would need your specific vehicle's VIN to research applicable recalls. Please reply with this information and I will be happy to reply with all open recalls for your vehicle. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Recalls are governed, however, by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), not by BMW of North America, LLC. If you have questions regarding the recall process, please visit www.nhtsa.gov for more information on their recall processes.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Aaron Gillum
Customer Relations and Services
Representative

Old 11-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
DonHJ

Name: DonHJ
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Mazda Rx7
Another recall of BMW! BMW announces recall over potential fire hazard. More than 32,000 vehicles have been integrated in a BMW recall, in which a component could pose a fire danger. The situation, exclusively contained to certain models made between 2008 and 2011, is with a part that can smolder and burn in automobiles with either 8 or 12-cylinder turbocharged engines. It is just disheartening that the engineers have been unable to fix this problem for over years now. Hopefully they will take care of the issue quickly.