Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 5-Series
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

5-Series General discussion and technical help for 5-series BMWs.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
gemnilvr

Name: gemnilvr
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 274 / 340
Your Ride: 2002 530i
Talking many issues

sorry for the repost, i just wanted to give more info!

hello, im a new member and loving it! such great info and self help posts on here! im sure ill save lots of cash because of it!

just wanted to go over a few probs ive been having and see if anyone can help!!

1. trunk wire harness shorting out battery? i know it needs replaced for the second time but can it cause my battery to randomly be shorted out or flat dead?

2. i have never had and major repairs or maintenence done on the car as far as certain mileage replacements! should i have this done if there isnt a problem or wait?

3. i have a 2002 530i with about 135k on it and it is an awesome car but it seems i have low power when pulling from a stop sign or light! what can i do to increase my starting power? it picks up good speed and has great power at higher rpms but just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on replacements or upgrades!

4. im thinking about getting a tune up at my next oil change, what should i have them do or replace and what are the best parts to use in these cases!

5. i replaced my blower moter unit about 2-2.5 years ago because i was having battery drain issues and it seems that im hearing the sounds of the blower going in and out again , can this part go out so soon.

6. i know that the trunk wiring harness replacement will fix many issues but if its replaced with the same harness wont the same thing happen?

thanks and sorry for so many questions , believe it or not i have many more!! lol

drivers seat is twisting on one side, water is collecting on my back seat carpet passenger side, pixels are going out on my radio, my power steering seems to be leaking from the hose or resevoir, small engine leak at the seals i believe, my alarm randomly goes off repeatedly so i cant even lock my car. my drivers side windshield sprayer wont hardly spray, my intensive washer fluid resevoir wont hold fluid- leaks out at the base of the pump i guess, warning light says check coolant or low coolant, the service engine soon light is on and wont go off, other than that its perfect! lol! its just alot of small annoying things! could be alot worse so im not really complaining! it runs really great for the mileage. it is a certified bmw so it was under warranty up to 100k! i got lucky the dealership didnt even know it was a certified bmw until i saw it in the bmw manual, so they had to refund my $4500 warranty they sold me! i got lucky there!! thanks again!
Old 01-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
amutiga

Name: amutiga
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 525d
Hi there. Mine 525d in Spain. 240.000 Kilometers and 7 1/2 years old. In this time, apart from basic and normal maintenance, only 4 repairs:

1) 1 Fuel Pump
2) 1 Inyector
3) 1 Window elevating mechanism
4) Resistance

Total less than 1.000 Euros. If you are running out of battery take a look at the resistance below the (A/C termostat). This piece is normally the cause of this problem in most E39. About tuning up,this car does not require much. I found that changing the engine mounts made a big difference. Take a look at the seals, particularly the microfilter duct into the dash. The rubber becomes worn out and I replace it with simple rubber windows sealant and made a big difference. Also once in a while try a Inyector Cleaning additive. I do 300 km everyday with this car with 240.000 kilometers and burning just 6,4 liters every 100 kilometers.