Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion > BMW News And RSS Feeds
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW News And RSS Feeds BMW RSS feeds and news

Old 08-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
scooter

Name: scooter
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 295 / 340
Your Ride: 99m3
REPORT: The future of the BMW 3 Series

Filed under: Coupe, Hybrid, Sedan, Technology, BMW

The next generation BMW 3-series is set to get some major revisions when it arrives in two year's time. The new model is expected to be the first in the range to get a line of turbocharged three-cylinder engines in both gas and diesel variants, and will likely be 1.5-liter units -- essentially halved versions of the latest generation inline-sixes.

BMW's current six-cylinder diesels use a sequential dual turbo setup with small and large blowers to provide quick response and better top-end power. The new engines may use an electric motor to spin up the turbo more quickly allowing the use of a single turbo for reduced weight and complexity.

Aerodynamics will also be a major focus of the new 3 with the expected inclusion of front wheel air curtains. Ducts in the lower front bumper will route air out just ahead of the front wheels, creating a virtual wheel skirt. The high velocity over the wheels will prevent air coming around the sides and spilling around the wheels, one of the major sources of drag.

Other areas of improvement will include weight reductions, the incorporation of hybrid drive technologies, low-power climate control systems and eight-speed automatic transmissions. All that and more could be in showrooms as early as 2012.

[Source: AutoCar]REPORT: The future of the BMW 3 Series originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 05 Aug 2009 16:26:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
3050rpm

Name: 3050rpm
Title: Senior Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
With automatic transmissions starting to come in 6-, 7-, and 8-speed versions, more than what it seems practical to have in a manual transmission, will the manual become a thing of the past?