Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E46
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E46 General discussion and technical help for 1999-2004 3 series cars.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
phantomsys

Name: phantomsys
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 540i
No fuel at the rail? need help please

My son has a 325i 2002 and I helped him put a new water pump and thermostat and hoses. Then I told him to take it for a ride soon after the car died he said funny noise then just stopped.I decided to run a code scan and both fuel were lean and bad temp sensor. I then decided to change the fuel filter it was full of black fuel. I then tried the fuel nipple no fuel so I looked at the fuse it was OK so then looked at fuel pump no power at the brown and white with blue line so then went to fuel pump relay and switched with horn still no power. So I then put 12 volts to the pump and it works so I test the fuel rail for gas since I ran the pump for about 30sec but no fuel so I pull the hose at the pump and it was under pressure and now I'm lost? also what does the other unit do behind the drivers seat? that unit has 11.48 volts and very little fuel on that side.Is there something I missed? we put the car back the way it was when we changed the parts.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:02 AM   #2
phantomsys

Name: phantomsys
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 540i
I have removed the crank sensor and put new that was fun! Now tested the battery fuse link and every single relay tested and works so I give up. I have 12 volts to fuse if I clip the body ground and the lower 20amp yellow fuse pin the top pin is not doing anything like if I probe top pin and bottom pin of 20amp fuse no power? but if I ground to body and probe lower pin 12volts? any help please!! also car has new battery and the only error code was temp sensor bad and fuel rail lean just after it stopped running.I can charge the fuel rail now for some reson the fuel line to pump was on backwards but must jump pump to get it pumping.

Last edited by phantomsys; 05-24-2009 at 06:06 AM..
Old 06-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
kevzep

Name: kevzep
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: e36 316i
Hi, how are you?
I had a similar problem on my 93 e36. I found one bad connection on the imobiliser but that did'nt fix it either. I temporarily wired a new realy and fuse using the signal from the ecu and power from the the battery and temp wires to the pump and it worked, so that ruled out any ecu or relay problems. In the end i rewired the circuit out to the pump from the origional relay. through the car which is a real pain.
I think on my car that the fuse only has power to it when the relay pulls in.
The other unit behind drivers seat is another fuel guage sender, there is also one on the pump itself. The pump side has two plugs on it, the other only one.
I know my car is much older but it sounds exactly the same, also i had no warning, got home and the next morning it would'nt start.
Let me know how you get on.