Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 5-Series > E12, E28, E34, E39, E60
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E12, E28, E34, E39, E60 General discussion and technical help for all year 5 series cars.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
535ie39

Name: 535ie39
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: bmw535i
auto transmision gear change issue?

my 5hp24 auto experience a probelm like this:
normally when you leave the foot from gas, the auto gear box should stay in high gear to let the car run freely. but my auto box will stay in that ever gear it is, so the car will slow down fast. the car has done about 100,000miles. no fluide or filter ever changed. other than this 'probelm' . the car drives OK. waht could be the cause? should I get the fluide and filter replaced? does this show the sign of series problems ....?
Old 11-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
guidomaas1974

Name: guidomaas1974
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: '02 e39 2.9dA
Hi,

The remedy for your problem is a fluid/filter change.
Best would be to have the fluid replaced first without the filter. Only about 60-70% of the fluid can be drained each time due to the torque converter containing the rest. After the first time fluid change drive about 2000 miles, then have the fluid, filter and gasket replaced as a complete set.

Make sure also to clean the magnet on the gear box pan.

The dealer ship will tell you that the fluid doesn't need replacement due to application of life time oil. disregard the advice and replace the fluids.

Guido
Old 11-28-2008, 01:49 AM   #3
535ie39

Name: 535ie39
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: bmw535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidomaas1974 View Post
Hi,

The remedy for your problem is a fluid/filter change.
Best would be to have the fluid replaced first without the filter. Only about 60-70% of the fluid can be drained each time due to the torque converter containing the rest. After the first time fluid change drive about 2000 miles, then have the fluid, filter and gasket replaced as a complete set.

Make sure also to clean the magnet on the gear box pan.

The dealer ship will tell you that the fluid doesn't need replacement due to application of life time oil. disregard the advice and replace the fluids.

Guido
Thanks for the advise. I just had both filter and fluid changed about 400m ago. since then , the problem never come back again. the car has done 150,000km. the fluid looks a bit dirty/dark, and there is no visible metal shred around magnet. only things like dark /sticky glue type things. clearned everything. car drive great. FYI, I bought fluid from AUdi ( same 5hp24 Autotrans) about half of BMW's price. The mechnic told me that the real problem was not the old fluid, but the dirty filter which can only have half of the capacity. so if you drive hard, there wont be enough oil to the mechnical parts.......I opened it, it was......terrible inside. MUST have filter changed in about 70k miles