Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Lighting
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Lighting
BAVTOYS.COM- To see and be SEEN
Sponsored by: BavToys.com
Discussion of headlights, fog lights, blinkers, and any other car lighting.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Dathaeus

Name: Dathaeus
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 328i w/sports package
Best Headlights Recommendations?

Oops, I didnt know there was a lighting section here... so let me repost:

Hey all... my 328i came with some super nice HID's when
I first got it, but it was not installed properly by the previous
owner's guy, and it burned through part of the casing, so
either i spent another $400+ on new HID's or I went with
regular whites, and thats what I did, too expensive.

For the past few times, I have just ordered some cheapy white
bulbs off ebay for like $10-$15 each, but they seem to be
blowing out every two years or so, and that seems a bit too
frequent... so any suggestions on any bright whites/blues
that may not be quite HID's but maybe closer to Xenons

for reasonable prices, and where I can order from?

Someone jus told me u can get an HID kit with bulbs for about $120, is that true???

Thanks!
Tires: BBS 17" rims
Hankook Ventus V12
Front: 225/45ZR
Rear: 255/40ZR

Answerway.com
Old 10-31-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
trusss

Name: trusss
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2001 330CI
yes... but you can get it cheaper than that
Old 10-31-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Dathaeus

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusss View Post
yes... but you can get it cheaper than that
Is there some directory or review site or hierarchy of HID kits for the E36? I mean, $60, $120, $300, there has to be some difference right? Someone also told me $40 kits... there is a bit too much difference here in my limited knowledge... I mean I know for example, there could be a $30 15" crap tire, or a $10,000 Indy car tire, but for HID's, what can vary so much? They all have to be a certain level of brightness, and no one will buy something that will burn out in 3 months right? Just need a little guidance on whats "cheap" and what's "exorbitant."
Hankook Ventus V12

Answerway.com
Old 10-31-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
habbie

Name: habbie
Title: Forum Sponsor
Rate My Car: 1 / 340
Your Ride: Supercharged 97 M3/04 M3 vert/07 ESCALADE/04 Harley VRSC/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
Is there some directory or review site or hierarchy of HID kits for the E36? I mean, $60, $120, $300, there has to be some difference right? Someone also told me $40 kits... there is a bit too much difference here in my limited knowledge... I mean I know for example, there could be a $30 15" crap tire, or a $10,000 Indy car tire, but for HID's, what can vary so much? They all have to be a certain level of brightness, and no one will buy something that will burn out in 3 months right? Just need a little guidance on whats "cheap" and what's "exorbitant."
first off, what headlights do you have, stock, aftermarket?
describe "burned through the casing".
and lastly you will only get the look and performance of hid's from hid's, there are budget hid's and there are quality hid's you have to decide where you need/budget fits, we have packages including the headlights and hids for under $200 so you have lots of options.

hid's vary greatly in quality and performance, all too often you'll find a company selling one brand for example xtec then go bust because the product was garbage and they would not honor their warranty resurface as apexCON later on and carry on business as usual and be reincarnated once more as another brand, buy from a reputable dealer, it may cost you a bit more upfront but you'll save a lot in the long run both in terms of the product and the associated aggravation.

we have sold Prolumen and sister brands for the past 5 years under the same name, we offer budget all the way to extreme quality and everything in between.
feel free to pm me if you have ?'s or need help.

-zkw- -hella- -bosch- -depo- -prolumen- -kwd- -bbs- -predator chromium- -predator ice- -simota- -ecis-

//-install guides-//-total lighting group buy-//-zkw group buy-// -exhaust group buy-//-ellipsoids+hid group buy-//-led tails group buy-//
Old 11-02-2008, 01:35 AM   #5
Dathaeus

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habbie View Post
first off, what headlights do you have, stock, aftermarket?
describe "burned through the casing".
and lastly you will only get the look and performance of hid's from hid's, there are budget hid's and there are quality hid's you have to decide where you need/budget fits, we have packages including the headlights and hids for under $200 so you have lots of options.
This was like a decade ago, but the mechanic told me the bulb burned part of the casing or plastic and melted it enough that it was not usable anymore... i remember looking and seeing it. So I dont know what kind of casing he put in then, stock or am.... but since then I have replaced bulbs only with cheap "white" color bulbs from ebay, but they seem to be burning out like every 2 years or so and it is getting annoying, and they are not bright at all, esp in my neighborhood, I have to use my high beams to make sure I dont kill anyone.

My budget is LOW right now. I have been sent to bavtoys.com and ddmtuning.com, and they both seem to have HID kits for under $100 and vouched by many BMW members.... so what are your suggestions? One other guy even got a $60 kit from ebay after several past BMW owners bought the same kit and were happy with it. I wouldnt mind spending just $60 if other BMW peeps are happy.
Hankook Ventus V12

Answerway.com
Old 11-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
habbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
This was like a decade ago, but the mechanic told me the bulb burned part of the casing or plastic and melted it enough that it was not usable anymore... i remember looking and seeing it. So I dont know what kind of casing he put in then, stock or am.... but since then I have replaced bulbs only with cheap "white" color bulbs from ebay, but they seem to be burning out like every 2 years or so and it is getting annoying, and they are not bright at all, esp in my neighborhood, I have to use my high beams to make sure I dont kill anyone.

My budget is LOW right now. I have been sent to bavtoys.com and ddmtuning.com, and they both seem to have HID kits for under $100 and vouched by many BMW members.... so what are your suggestions? One other guy even got a $60 kit from ebay after several past BMW owners bought the same kit and were happy with it. I wouldnt mind spending just $60 if other BMW peeps are happy.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=980407

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1098827

for as little as $149 you can get new projector headlights and hids.
we carry quality products we dont just lure you in with cheap junk, we sell better products for fair prices and offer the best service.

if you want hids only:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1078579
we have a bunch of different kits from mild to wild, we carry 8-9 kits unlike the the 1 or 2 most others do.

-zkw- -hella- -bosch- -depo- -prolumen- -kwd- -bbs- -predator chromium- -predator ice- -simota- -ecis-

//-install guides-//-total lighting group buy-//-zkw group buy-// -exhaust group buy-//-ellipsoids+hid group buy-//-led tails group buy-//
Old 11-03-2008, 12:24 AM   #7
gorf

Name: gorf
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
i was duped by ddm too low priced junk and weeks to ship out shit faild 5 or 6 times and i gave up and went prolumen from bavtoys.
ddm = dickless scum
Old 11-04-2008, 01:34 AM   #8
habbie

we have posted a document from prolumen technology stating clearly that jim powell and ddm are clearly selling counterfeit prolumen products, i see where some are struggling with this issue, pick up the phone or email prolumen directly don't take our word for it go straight to the source and get the truth.

that said you do have to wonder why would anyone lie deliberately about this detail, what else are they lying about and why? it shows this "person" to have zero integrity and no morals whatsoever but then again all of you who dealt with him already knew that.

he has gone out of his way and put his own dealers, those that supported him and his products for years out of the lighting business by selling retail at less then their wholesale cost, a real stand up guy...
understeer which i don't care much for has been dumped like yesterday's garbage, i warned him long ago that it would take place but he refused to listen, i think he knows now..

again feel free to contact prolumen directly, their info is in the open and available for all to see, they will confirm what i've said all along, jim powell is a lying and cheating low life.
we are still eagerly awaiting his prolumen document stating the opposite.... dont hold your breath now..

Last edited by habbie; 11-04-2008 at 01:37 AM..