Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
f0rbes

Name: f0rbes
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1986 524td
Vacuum problem

Hi, I am new to these forums as I just came across them today . Anyways I have a minor problem that I need advice on fixing. Basically I have a 1986 524td. My problem is that my brakes arent getting enough vacuum and its causing my brakes to be very squishy so i have to really stomp to get my brakes working. I have realized that maybe the brakes arent getting enough vacuum because maybe the booster is recieving most of it to help get better performance because let me say, for a diesel this thing runs like a beauty.

What I was thinking was installing a seperate vacuum pump where i have extra space (already found the perfect spot) and hooking it up to where all i need to do is flip a switch or somesort if I find my brakes are getting squishy and it turns the vacuum on and then a couple seconds later I turn it off and my brakes are fine and so on and so forth. But I was also trying to think of a way to make it run automatically.

Basically I am wondering of any other possible solutions or maybe any advice on fixing my brakes. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Have you tried replacing the brake fluid? I'd also try bleeding the system for air and checking for leaks.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
johnnybayonne

Name: johnnybayonne
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 254 / 340
Your Ride: 1997 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by f0rbes View Post
Hi, I am new to these forums as I just came across them today . Anyways I have a minor problem that I need advice on fixing. Basically I have a 1986 524td. My problem is that my brakes arent getting enough vacuum and its causing my brakes to be very squishy so i have to really stomp to get my brakes working. I have realized that maybe the brakes arent getting enough vacuum because maybe the booster is recieving most of it to help get better performance because let me say, for a diesel this thing runs like a beauty.

What I was thinking was installing a seperate vacuum pump where i have extra space (already found the perfect spot) and hooking it up to where all i need to do is flip a switch or somesort if I find my brakes are getting squishy and it turns the vacuum on and then a couple seconds later I turn it off and my brakes are fine and so on and so forth. But I was also trying to think of a way to make it run automatically.

Basically I am wondering of any other possible solutions or maybe any advice on fixing my brakes. Thanks.
If you had a vacuum problem with the brakes & brake booster, you would have a stiff pedal or find it difficult to press down on the brake pedal! Squishy brakes sounds like air in the brake system or bad master cylinder!
http://autorepair.about.com/od/troub...s_brakes_2.htm
http://autorepair.about.com/od/troub...s_brakes_4.htm

Last edited by johnnybayonne; 03-22-2008 at 02:49 PM..
Old 03-22-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
f0rbes

Name: f0rbes
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1986 524td
Its hard to explain what kind of feeling i get when I press on the Pedal but basically It feels like I am just not gettign enough vacuum to the brakes. Ive replaced all the hoses with new ones and there isnt any blockage or holes/leaks. I was going to do brake fluid once the weather got a little nicer and from the reciepts the booster is fairly new. oh and the brakes are firm not sqishy my fault on that.

Last edited by f0rbes; 03-22-2008 at 07:45 PM..
Old 03-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
JetBlack328i

Name: JetBlack328i
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 69 / 340
Your Ride: 96 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybayonne View Post
If you had a vacuum problem with the brakes & brake booster, you would have a stiff pedal or find it difficult to press down on the brake pedal! Squishy brakes sounds like air in the brake system or bad master cylinder!
+1 check for air in the lines or a bad master cylinder
Old 03-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
m3flyer

Name: m3flyer
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 3 / 340
Your Ride: 1) Alpinweiss 1989 M3 2) Diamondswartz 1989 M3
Thumbs up Ding !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybayonne View Post
http://autorepair.about.com/od/troub...s_brakes_2.htm
http://autorepair.about.com/od/troub...s_brakes_4.htm
2nd.

Johnny is correct.

Although loss of the booster entirely may result in weak pedal as well.

Also... check the master cylnder.

Try a synthetic Dot4/5 fluid and flush 'til the bubbles disappear.