Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
exodus

Name: exodus
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: '94 325is
Removing heater box - a/c evac?

Hey all.

I'm in the process of an interior conversion at the moment, and while I have all the dash stuff apart I'm replacing the heater box and changing my car from analog to digital heater controls. I havnt seen many threads about this being done, probably just because of how in depth the project is. I got a 96+ heater box with harness and everything, and a 96+ control unit so I'm hoping everything goes well.

The only problem I have is this - the car, as it sits right now is not mobile and I need to pull the heater box out. This involves disconnecting the A/C condenser which means the system needs to be evacuated.

How do I go about doing this? I can't take it somewhere. Can the heater box be removed without removing the AC lines? Are there any mobile AC evac. companies?

Or should I just (gasp) discharge it into the air?

HELP!

Thanks
Old 03-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
I'm not sure how to remove that box or if the A/C lines need to removed and the system emptied. But I do know you don't wanna just drain the coolant out! I think it's hazardous materials!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
exodus

Name: exodus
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: '94 325is
Thanks, I'm well aware of that and it'll be disposed of properly along with all the used oil. The a/c lines going through the firewall need to be disconnected, so the system needs to be evac'd, because R-134a needs to be disposed of properly as well.

I just need to figure out how to get it there!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
3050rpm

Name: 3050rpm
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
My guess is that portable means do exist to discharge an a/c system, as I imagine some way has to make it practical to deal with wrecks, for example. On a more immediate level to deal with your situation, you might want to call the appropriate local government agency, maybe something like the city, county, or state environmental protection agency, which might provide you with contact information on companies who do just what you need.