Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E46
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E46 General discussion and technical help for 1999-2004 3 series cars.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
BFHammer

Name: BFHammer
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1999 323i
Transmission leak

Just got my 99 323i automatic back from a mechanic. Last week I started the car cold (about 10 degrees F). Put the car in reverse and it when nowhere. Paused for a few moments , pressed the accelerator to 3k rpm and it slowly moved. Put in drive, same thing. finally it started to go and got better the further I went. Two hours later a coworker called to ask where I had been parked because there was a big puddle and trail of fluid in the parking lot. Same thing happened the next day.

Drove it to a mechanic, he ordered fluid and a kit. Couldn't locate source of the leak. It was dripping in the front and in back. New filter/ fluid/gasket and told me to keep my eye on it. happened again this morning (30 deg F)but hasn't spit out any fluid.

Tranny is supposed to be sealed but is there a vent ?
Internal pressure is obviously building up on rpm but why is there no clutch engagement ? I guess that's the bigger question since some form of blockage is causing higher pressure than some seal can handle and it burps out fluid.
Not a drip ! More like puking it out.

Anybody have this problem ?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
notallthere

Name: notallthere
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 258 / 340
Your Ride: 2001 325i
sounds like there is some issue with the valve body in the trany I can see that happening with the temp around 10 and fluid getting thick but with it around 30 thats weird as for the lead thats a whole different issue how may miles are on the car to there may be an issue with the converter high mileage and I can understand the slip in it
Old 03-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
BFHammer

Name: BFHammer
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1999 323i
Mileage is 110k. The new fluid wasn't a complete change or flush. About half still sits in the torque converter. Didn't have a problem last night and I think I'll take it for a drive today to go look at 4wd Toyota Trucks.

Miserable winter to drive a RWD car in this year. I think I may have done some damage by how often the ASC kicked in. I also got stuck on a hill and disengeged the ASC and something got messed up as the tranny warning light came on and I couldn't turn the ASC off again until a couple of on/off cycles.

BTW, there is no clunk sound when it starts to go. Just a gradual engagement. So slow in fact that I am now completely paranoid that at every stop sign I am thinking " does this feel right".

Last edited by BFHammer; 03-16-2008 at 10:32 AM..
Old 03-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
I think the valve bodies are known to clog up.

I would guess a rebuild is in store. Happend to my buddies 94' 740, had to have the valve body rebuilt. It wouldnt go into gear until you revved it a little.

I think after it has initiall engaged(after you put it in drive or revrse) you are fine until you take it ut of gear and put it back in.

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)