Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Introductions and Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Introductions and Greetings Sponsored by: match.com
New to the site? introduce yourself here and tell us a little about you and your sled. This is the "Hi, my name is and i drive" forum.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
prototype

Name: prototype
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: '04 X5 4.4 & '07 M Roadster
Newbie, X5, M Roadster Owner, Q on Roll bars

Hi,

Was recently referred here by a friend. I live near Fredericksburg, VA and own a 2004 X5 4.4 and a 2007 M (Z4) Roadster. I'm hoping I can ask for help and share ideas here.

I've had my X5 for almost exactly 4 years now, just rolled over 29k miles this week. It has always been a great vehicle. Just bought the M Roadster in January, it is currently at the dealership for it's 1,200 mile break-in inspection/service. The convertible top on the passenger side didn't seal well at the top of the window, leading to wind noise at high speed and even some leakage in heavy rain. They had to order some new seals/gaskets to seal it tightly. I expect to get it back on Tuesday, at which point I'll be able to hit the sport button and nail the throttle to the floor for the first time ever. Can't wait !!!

I want to take the Roadster to my local (relatively speaking) road course. I call tell its fast and highly maneuverable even though I haven't really been able to step on it yet. The problem I have is I don't trust the headrest roll protection. I would much prefer a serious roll bar, and indeed the track requires it. I don't want to add an after-market roll bar that won't work with the convertible top though.

Does anyone have a suggestion on an after-market roll bar for an M Roadster?

I have checked the Dinan site and haven't found anything, so I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks,
prototype
Spotsylvania, VA
Old 03-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
denyo77

Name: denyo77
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 198 / 340
Your Ride: 1988 325i Touring
hi, welcome to the forum
I'm afraid I can't really help you on this issue, but stick around and someone will have an answer
Old 03-03-2008, 01:23 AM   #3
BMWLotAttendant

Name: BMWLotAttendant
Title: I Drive EVERYTHING
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 Camry CE
Why don't you trust the manufacturer's factory roll bars? I've seen several e46's and e64's with them deployed. They actually do work.

I don't know of any aftermarket roll bars. Good luck!