Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Lighting
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Lighting
BAVTOYS.COM- To see and be SEEN
Sponsored by: BavToys.com
Discussion of headlights, fog lights, blinkers, and any other car lighting.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
peterkdenny

Name: peterkdenny
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: '96 328is
differnt lighting setups, what works best?

I just installed a set of dj auto headlights with angel eyes and am happy with them except i dont like the halogen yellow bulbs. I know an HID setup is the best way to go, but its a little spendy. I know they sell replacement bulbs for stock headlights that are much whiter like the ones at bav auto, but will they fit my dj auto headlights? also, has anyone had any experience with these types of lights?
Old 02-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
H3-2.1

Name: H3-2.1
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: '96 H3 2.1
Ideally an HID conversion would give you the best lighting, especially for projector lenses; the light is focused and not dispersed and sacttered like the NA OE reflector lenses.
As for the bulbs, they usually have a coating on them giving a whiter, but not necessarily a brighter light. A lot of them fail alot quicker than the standard bulbs.

Cheers,

Engine: 2.1L Hartge conversion, Supersprint ss headers, Hartge exhaust, KV85 wires, Vitesse cf CAI. Drivetrain: ssk, Vitesse adj. clutch stop. Chassis: 18x8.5 Hartge Classics on 225/40/ZR18 Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Hartge suspension (shocks, springs, sway bars & strut brace), Vitesse rear brace, ATE BBK. Exterior: Hartge front lip, window & hatch spoilers & mirrors, Vitesse cf door pillars, ZKWs, HIDs & much, much more... Performance BMW Magazine feature car March 2003
Old 02-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
scooter

Name: scooter
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 295 / 340
Your Ride: 99m3
Old 02-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
iamcreepingdeath

Name: iamcreepingdeath
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
what about an HID kit for high beams, low beams, and fogs? do they make a kit like that?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
pswirley

Name: pswirley
Rate My Car: 222 / 340
Your Ride: 93 325i
I just bought my Depo with Chromium DDE's and 6000K HIDs yesterday and a matching set of 6000k HIDs and Smoked Fogs. Not to mention a rear M3 bumper/diffuser/moldings
M floormats, and a new Europlate.

Last edited by pswirley; 02-19-2008 at 10:27 AM..
Old 02-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
if i were you, id really save up, deal with the yellow for a bit, and go HID, i was kinda in the same boat you are, but after i did my HIDs, i think it is the best mod done to my car, hands down

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 02-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
iamcreepingdeath

Click here to set it up.
So how do you get HID's for high beams, low beams, and fog lights? The guys at Bavtoys said to buy three different kits. That would be $450, at $150 a kit. if so, is there a specific kit for each application? or are all the kits the same?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
xsperf

usually people just get HIDs for their low-beams, high beam HIDs would be practically pointless because people dont drive around using their high beams(typically, unless you are retarded) and also, when you come to flash your high beams, usually its only for a few seconds, and that will cause a problem with the HID bulb(not sure exactly why, but if you are going to flash your high beams you must have them on for more than 30 seconds i think), as for the fog lights, some do go for the fog lights as well, i didnt do it because i love the yellow look of the foglights(in my opinion, 3k hids are pointless) and the low beam HIDs light up the road VERY well and are ample amount of light where the fog lights really arent needed, but some do it because they like the look or w/e. as for $450, thats how much i spent on just my low-beams, but i also did get depos

Quote:

Old 02-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
iamcreepingdeath

Click here to set it up.
Thanks xsperf!! but pretty much the same HID kit can be installed in the low beams and the fog lights?

and if i got HID's in the high beams, wouldn't there be much more light than stock, which would increase visibility?
Old 02-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
xsperf

yea pretty much, some people go for bi-xenon, where its the same bulb, but thats just about the same price as two separate kits i think, of course, i would increase visibility, but honestly, how often do you use your high beams, what i would suggest doing is putting it in your lows and possibly fogs, and i can almost guarantee that if aimed correctly, you will be so happy and not need another set, and then again there is the problem of that if you have your high beams on you must keep them on for more than a certain amount of time(like 30 seconds).. actually you can ask habbie for more information, hes much more knowledgeable than me, i think what you have to do is get a kit where the igniter is always on or something(but then again, i dont know what the hell im talking about)

Quote:

Old 02-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #11
iamcreepingdeath

Click here to set it up.
where are you habbie....

what is bi-xenon?
Old 02-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #12
pswirley

Name: pswirley
Rate My Car: 222 / 340
Your Ride: 93 325i
bi-xenon is hard to explain, but basically one bulb inside of a projector. The projectors have a cutoff that keeps the HID pointed lower. With bixenon when you activate your brights the projector cutoff lifts or pull back altogether releasing more HID farther down the road and not with a cutoff pattern.

I hope that made sense. one bulb low beams have cut off high beams have no cut off.

I got matching HIDs for my fogs because it looks great and allows you on a dreary day in Colorado to be seen better without running your headlights. Still have nasty aggressive looking DDE's and be seen that is.

Last edited by pswirley; 02-19-2008 at 03:51 PM..