Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 5-Series > E12, E28, E34, E39, E60
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E12, E28, E34, E39, E60 General discussion and technical help for all year 5 series cars.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
QcMarque

Name: QcMarque
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 740i
Issues...

Alright, many of you know I just got a '90 E34... as stated in my initial post about it it does have a quirk or two. I haven't been able to find anything related here, nor online in general. So I'm going to start this thread and post my findings/fixes as I get them. Anything anyone else has feel free to chime in.

Issues:
Cold Start: doesn't like to, starts then dies, starts then dies... if I give her some gas then she'll stay running. I looked on RealOEM for a cold start valve or something and it didn't list anything for my car.

Check Engine/Brake Fluid warning light: when I step on the kick-down button and get up to a high rpm, then let off the pedal these two lights flicker on for a moment then go away. Somewhat disturbing, and very peculiar. Also, I noticed last night (was cold enough to put frost on my windows) that while idling through the yard on my way out this happened as well... it's always a brief illumination then they go away.

That's all I've come across so far. Anything else I find I'll post, as well as my fixes.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Not sure about the check engine but I would check the brake fluid level and it might be a short in the sender or it might be slightly too low causing the light to go one when the cars weight shifts as you lift off the accelerator. For the cold start you might want to check the vacuum hoses and other associated components, I know my e30 never liked really cold weather but always got up and ran.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
QcMarque

Click here to set it up.
I've already topped off the brake fluid, it wasn't low per say, but wasn't at the upper full line. Was planning on checking the sender this weekend.

Aside from the obvious visual signs of a bad vacuum hose, what's another way to test where an issue in them may be (would prefer not to have to pull each hose one by one and test them.)

Last edited by QcMarque; 02-15-2008 at 12:19 AM..
Old 02-15-2008, 12:19 AM   #4
QcMarque

Click here to set it up.
Ran the error codes... came up with 1251 (fuel injector 1) several times. Was interupted with having to get back to work so I never got through all of them.

I'm assuming this is saying I need to clean/replace the injector? If I replaced it, should I replace all 6 @ once? Could something else cause the system to throw that code?

When I get up I'll run the codes again and sit through all of 'em and see if there's anything aside from 1251 in there.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
QcMarque

Click here to set it up.
Alrighty... I have a new injector and everything for an oil change on their way. I'll clear the fault codes tonight and hopefully all will be well in the land of Joe in about a week.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:40 AM   #6
QcMarque

Click here to set it up.
So, after a little more reading (and finding I don't have a cold start valve) I decided it'd be a good idea to clean my idle control valve. It wasn't too dirty, but did have some pretty solid/sticky buildup on the valve door. After a pretty thorough cleaning and drying I popped it back in and no more starting issues (damn near perfect idle too)!

I figured it may have been due to the ICV still bein warm from the drying (hot air) so the real test would be this morning when I got up... same thing, perfect start! Also, I decided (for giggles) to get on her on the way home to see if for some reason the clean ICV had any affect on the check engine/oil light issue. Sure enough, I haven't come across it yet. My theory is the ICV was sticking causing the car to die when cold (gunk would be cold and not allow ICV to open/close as needed), and for the same reason cause issues when coming down from a high rpm.

I'm running some seafom through the fuel right now, and will put a little in my oil when I do the service this weekend (and a little through my intake as well). I get to have the engine professionally cleaned for free... hopefully I'll be able to locate the minor oil leak I have and fix it.

On another note, I finally got my amp and subs installed (pictures soon) - just need my backup power source (1200w of bass). I never knew how sound proof BMWs were until now - I can have the system runnin high and hardly hear anything outside.