Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #16
Dr1ve4fun

Name: Dr1ve4fun
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 237 / 340
Your Ride: 1985 325e
I can not stand automatic transmissions. The only thing that gets to me with a manual is when you have to stop on a hill and the person behind you crawls up your ass because they assume everyone drives an auto.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #17
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1ve4fun View Post
I can not stand automatic transmissions. The only thing that gets to me with a manual is when you have to stop on a hill and the person behind you crawls up your ass because they assume everyone drives an auto.
I hear that! It happened to me in the up ramp coming out of the Ft Lauderdale tunnel
Old 02-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #18
iamcreepingdeath

Name: iamcreepingdeath
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
ha ha you just have to punch the gas and drop the clutch!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #19
iamcreepingdeath

Click here to set it up.
I actually get mad driving an automatic. My main qualm is that the car decides to shift when the car thinks it is best, not when you want it to. I seem detached from an automatic car, like i am just sitting in it, pushing the "go foreward" pedal and steering. (actually that is exactly how it is)
Old 02-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #20
MTurboPower3

Name: MTurboPower3
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Dont have a car yet
You're right I drove manual like twice in my life, I would want a car in manual cause its more fun but, it sucks in traffic because you gotta go between neutral and 1st the whole time especially on a hill because it can't roll up a hill. Also BMW stock shifters arent that good because their too long, if you drive a japanese car, the shifter is short and you don't have to hold the clutch that long. With BMW you have to get up 1500 rpm and and then shift it and let go of the clutch slowly, I am talking about this because I drove my friends E90 and that's how the tranny was,but I don't know how older ones are, maybe they are better.

Last edited by MTurboPower3; 02-14-2008 at 07:22 PM..
Old 02-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #21
craig

Name: craig
Title: Sitting in Time out
Click here to set it up.
Quote:
oh man.. i know how that goes. at the top of a hill at a stop sign, i have no brakes, the car is turned off while in gear so i dont roll back. this dumbass crawls right up my ass. he was probably about 3-4 inches off my bumper(well, engine. haha) i go to put the clutch in to start it again, and it rolls back. he puts it in "R" and backs it up pretty fast, and i just put it in first and drop the clutch. i usualy dont stop at that hill(because of the limited amount of traffic in tribune). i usually just idle up to the sign and go. but there was about 5 semi's in my way so i pretty much had to. haha.

i usually stay about 2 feet from the car infront of me while on a hill, just incase they are smart enough to have a manual.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #22
iamcreepingdeath

Click here to set it up.
yeah it's definitely the E90. The shifter in my e36 is the shortest shifter i have ever driven. (i used to have an Acura Legend 5 speed, and i have driven many other manual cars)
Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #23
253325is

Name: 253325is
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1987 325is
when i used to drive the ol camry i'd put it in N and rev up the rpms then pop it in D and i could get it to burn out... now that i think of it the trany was probably dead as i was selling that thing... oh well...

and when i'm on a hill and bitches pull up 3 inches behind me i use the e-brake to start moving. it's pretty much the same as an automatic you just cant talk on the phone while doing it... thats another thing when i drive automatics my right arm feels retarded haha.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #24
Dr1ve4fun

Name: Dr1ve4fun
Rate My Car: 237 / 340
Your Ride: 1985 325e
^^ my right arm and my left leg. I hate it I always reach to shift and there's no damn pedal.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #25
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
autos do suck. lately i have been driving my wifes subaru, and the shifting is so retarded. its like it likes to have the engine speed at 1300 rpm going up a hill. . .

i cant wait to get my e30 manual back. . .
Old 02-15-2008, 02:53 AM   #26
craig

Name: craig
Title: Sitting in Time out
Click here to set it up.
Quote:
^^ my right arm and my left leg. I hate it I always reach to shift and there's no damn pedal.
LOL. i do the same thing when i drive the grand prix. i go to put the clutch in, then i slam my foot into the floor. gets me every time. and every time i do it i end up saying "what the hell!?!!? oh... right... automatic."
Old 02-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #27
iamcreepingdeath

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
I was once driving my dad's automatic Saab, and i was cruising down the road, and i went to shift, and i crammed my left foot down on the brake pedal, thinking unconsciously that it was the clutch, and WOW that scared the pee out of me!! i locked up all four tires doing about 50 mph, and totally expecting to be accelerating. I have to be careful driving automatic. for me, driving automatic is harder than driving stick. and dangerous.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:40 AM   #28
253325is

Name: 253325is
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1987 325is
and i always start the car with my left foot on the brake...
Old 02-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #29
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
I was once driving my dad's automatic Saab, and i was cruising down the road, and i went to shift, and i crammed my left foot down on the brake pedal, thinking unconsciously that it was the clutch, and WOW that scared the pee out of me!! i locked up all four tires doing about 50 mph, and totally expecting to be accelerating. I have to be careful driving automatic. for me, driving automatic is harder than driving stick. and dangerous.
EXTREME left foot braking! ocassionally when i drive an auto I try to shift and then go oh shit i can't do that, i think it will only get worse as time goes by and I drive only manual cars longer and longer.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:44 AM   #30
JetBlack328i

Name: JetBlack328i
Rate My Car: 69 / 340
Your Ride: 96 328i
[QUOTE=Numark318i;162876]you know, if you commute everyday and theres traffic...manual ftl. sorry. especially a BMw..seeing how all teh clutches are stiff as shit.
QUOTE]

I would have to agree with this one.

Plus you dont have to take your hands off of your woman to shift gears all the time..

I know I know Chuck Norris can!!!