Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 01-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
740iguy

Name: 740iguy
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 BMW 740i
Smile so i come into work and guess what

im doing a 7am to 4pm shift and nobody is here to cover me for my lunch until about 2pm.

im a mac genius for an apple store in northern california and yeah, handling 6+ appointments each hour totally sucks...especially when someone has completely screwed up their apple mail or their permissions because of limewire. guahhh. more coffee, now. i need badass coffee company on tap here in the back.

or beer, that'd be cool

any mac questions? or issues? i'm bored right now, the appt's havent picked up yet...

Last edited by 740iguy; 01-30-2008 at 12:32 PM..
Old 01-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
hey btw. a guy in my photo class has an I mac. he wants to export all his photos so he can put it into bridge.

I know u can help a brother out. I told him i would help him, but he wants to take it to the store. Can you take care of that for him?

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)
Old 01-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
denyo77

Name: denyo77
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 198 / 340
Your Ride: 1988 325i Touring
no Apple computer here, only iPods
which have their issues, but I now have had my latest one replaced by Apple and the new one is okay
Old 01-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
740iguy

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numark318i View Post
hey btw. a guy in my photo class has an I mac. he wants to export all his photos so he can put it into bridge.

I know u can help a brother out. I told him i would help him, but he wants to take it to the store. Can you take care of that for him?
hmmm. i dont know everything about bridge, but i think you can drag and drop each album or event into a created folder of the correct name (or sub folders as such) then once every photo has been exported you can delete the iphoto or apeture library then open bridge and point it in the right direction...you should be good to go with all that...

Old 01-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
heres a question, how come the folks here at the local applestore are the biggest bunch of assholes in the world? they wouldnt let one of my friends buy 3 iphones, b/c its 'bulk' and one of my other friends, who isnt very knowledgeable about these things made the mistake of telling them he was gonna have his friend(me) unlock it for him, and they tried to feed him some bs about how he must "promise he wont unlock it" or else they wont sell it to him... wtf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 01-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
740iguy

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsperf View Post
heres a question, how come the folks here at the local applestore are the biggest bunch of assholes in the world? they wouldnt let one of my friends buy 3 iphones, b/c its 'bulk' and one of my other friends, who isnt very knowledgeable about these things made the mistake of telling them he was gonna have his friend(me) unlock it for him, and they tried to feed him some bs about how he must "promise he wont unlock it" or else they wont sell it to him... wtf?
when we first released them, people would come in and buy 20 of them, modify them and sell them for more than they paid, some would even put them on the tmobile network. it was for scam reasons. you can buy more than 2 now, you just have to sign a document saying that you wont resell these things. ive helped a few people out at the bar that come in with a hacked iphone and i tell them to kick rocks.

the phone will have the ability to load third party shit this February so all of that fun stuff is right around the corner.

as for the sales person who wanted you to promise about 'not unlocking' he needs to find another job because obviously apple isnt his thing. we have the same problem at our store: sales people that don't know what they're talking about. also, the term 'unlocking' an iphone means modifying the sim card, and that allows you to sit on another network...im sure you meant hacking it to put other stuff on there, which is cool, since most of the time a restore will fix all of that if you ever need service and no one will ever know. i dont care if i get a hacked phone in for service, i just tell them to go on one of our floor machines and restore it and bang! all is well.

if a sales person is being an asshole, just speak with a manager because if you press hard enough, you'll get your way, believe me, as long as you keep your cool. i take care of people all the time with out-of-warranty things all based on their attitude and how nice they are. thats kinda how apple works, we just try to watch our own back (like the bulk iphone stuff).

thats all.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:31 PM   #7
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Sounds good. The Apple store here is very cool
Old 01-31-2008, 12:25 AM   #8
215BIMMER535

Name: 215BIMMER535
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 123 / 340
Your Ride: '97 328i
how hard would it be to "hack" or "unlock" an iphone to use it with say..verizon?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:59 AM   #9
740iguy

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 215BIMMER View Post
how hard would it be to "hack" or "unlock" an iphone to use it with say..verizon?
its tough to unlock the phone to switch providers, although you need to use a provider that uses a sim card, unfortunately verizon isnt one of them. to be completely honest with you, verizon turned down the offer to support the device because they were trying to create a 'touch screen' version of a phone as well, but yeah its just another smart phone with touch capability thqat doesnt require a stylus.

hacking the phones are easy, websites offer tools that you can download and load right behind itunes and then you can upload 3rd party apps using the phone itself as long as your on an wifi network...some of those apps tho can 'brick' you phone making it useless, and not even a restore can fix it. thats the scary part...ive seen a few of these and people get irate, but what can i say. wait till February and it'll all be good.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:05 AM   #10
craig

Name: craig
Title: Sitting in Time out
Click here to set it up.
heres one thats going to be hard for you (or atleast i think so.)

is there any way to get .MOD video files to work in imovie?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 AM   #11
740iguy

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post
heres one thats going to be hard for you (or atleast i think so.)

is there any way to get .MOD video files to work in imovie?
either use streamclip to convert to a .dv format or get imovie 08' which i think supports the .mod file.

if that tool doesnt do the trick, ill figure something else out.
im not on a mac right now, i actually dont have one right now (long story, go figure) if i did i would try right now. ill also ask the trainers tomorrow and see what they say.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:40 PM   #12
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Here is a not so technical question, I am moving this weekend and need to get a wireless hub for my new place. I want to get the time capsule since I can backup and get all the connectivity I'm looking for. Do you have any idea on when in February it will ship or be in stores, because I would like to hold off to get it.

also i'm very happy with my macbook, iPhone and 2 ipods.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:57 PM   #13
BMWLotAttendant

Name: BMWLotAttendant
Title: I Drive EVERYTHING
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 Camry CE
Totally unrelated, but you have a SWEET Sig!

I love the e38 and e39 Sports!!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 PM   #14
cainchapman

Name: cainchapman
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 127 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 540LE
Well, if you get to New Zealand. Look me up. I have a Mac, and could always do with knowing more.

Plenty of beer in the fridge too.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:34 AM   #15
740iguy

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_318is View Post
Here is a not so technical question, I am moving this weekend and need to get a wireless hub for my new place. I want to get the time capsule since I can backup and get all the connectivity I'm looking for. Do you have any idea on when in February it will ship or be in stores, because I would like to hold off to get it.

also i'm very happy with my macbook, iPhone and 2 ipods.
ahhh i honestly don't know when time capsule will be out. soon i hope because i wanna see that thing in action...nice choice with the macbook, just always remember, backup when you can until you get that time capsule.