Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 01-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #31
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
e30s don't bring women and if they do those are the women i will marry. The camry will be a car i will never drive. I will choose a camry if i want to understeer around all corners and feel like im in a cushy mushy couch all day and have soemthing that is ubiquitous.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #32
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
haha lot, we used to have this argument a lot!

my grandparents have been driving camry's for years, they have had about 4 or 5 of em. i also drove one for about a month when my last E30 was in the body shop.

and i hated it. all the camry's rolled like pregnant yak and accelerated like one too. i dont remember how the brakes were.

but like you said lot, its all personal preference. and the E30 is a bmw sport sedan (in bmw tradition), and the camry is a full size sedan (i believe) - they are built for different things. so i think its really a moot point. and a personal preference thing. so +1 to lot on his points.

on another note, i would say that most BMW's dont come with LSD, but was always an option and can be had with some hunting. and it seems lsd's are going the way of the dino. . .
Old 01-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #33
MTurboPower3

Name: MTurboPower3
Title: Senior Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Dont have a car yet
When did this turn into an arguement about camry's? I was asking wat you guys thought about an integra Type R not a camry. Also stop hating japanese cars, not all of them are bad. In my opinion i would take an integra over an E30 cause its about 10 years newer also much cheaper to fix if somthing breaks. If somthing breaks on an E30 its hard to find. I am looking for a car to get around that's kind of fun.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #34
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTurboPower3 View Post
When did this turn into an arguement about camry's? I was asking wat you guys thought about an integra Type R not a camry. Also stop hating japanese cars, not all of them are bad. In my opinion i would take an integra over an E30 cause its about 10 years newer also much cheaper to fix if somthing breaks. If somthing breaks on an E30 its hard to find. I am looking for a car to get around that's kind of fun.
parts arent hard to find.
parts are not more expensive then the Type R parts.
Buy a 328. end of story.

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)
Old 01-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #35
Winter

Name: Winter
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 97 alpine white/black manual 328i
A type R Integra? maybe for an afternoon.

When shopping for my latest ride, I looked at everything with a stick shift. And in the mix was a type R. It was quick enough, ( I recall liking the seats) but alas was indeed a FWD. I have no issues with front wheel drive until you try to put some horsepower in one and then I find myself getting sucked off the side of the road all the time with torque-steer. We've got a v-6 03 Altima that does that to me, Im used to it enough now that its just a distraction, but still. What would I rather drive than the Altima or a type R Integra? AN E-36!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #36
craig

Name: craig
Title: Sitting in Time out
Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
When shopping for my latest ride, I looked at everything with a stick shift. And in the mix was a type R. It was quick enough, ( I recall liking the seats) but alas was indeed a FWD. I have no issues with front wheel drive until you try to put some horsepower in one and then I find myself getting sucked off the side of the road all the time with torque-steer. We've got a v-6 03 Altima that does that to me, Im used to it enough now that its just a distraction, but still. What would I rather drive than the Altima or a type R Integra? AN E-36!!!
dude.. i think i love you. LOL

and yes, torque steer SUCKS. my dads supercharged grand prix does that alot, expecaly when it shifts at full throttle.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #37
nick_318is

Allow me to recap:

Integra: a pretty good performer, Will understeer, especially on corner exit and torque steer but so does my Mazda and I am pretty happy with it. Probably run for a long time with proper care. Looks crosseyed.
BMW: Parts are more expensive, hopefully have to replace less often as a byproduct. Unfortunately people want them as a status symbol and not always for their great engineering and handling characteristics. Also no longer offer LSDs as options, they are standard on the M cars, I don't know if things are different in europe.
E30: Most kickass car ever, great to learn in, Light weight, relatively cheap to buy one in good condition if you can find it, Parts are NOT hard to find, loads of fun, if you don;t believe me your meeting me in a good halfway location and I will strap you in mine at a track, hows mid-ohio work for you? Will run forever with good care and coming from a good home. CULT STATUS.
E36: Most definitely not boring, probably what is modern enough for your tastes. Fun, lots of mods out there.
E46: More modern mostly the same as above, better looking then the e36, still lots of fun.
Camry: Poo-poo platter for old women and people who don't care about important things like turning with speed, only pluses will probably run forever even without oilchanges or any care, room for the family, BLAND styling.

1 sentence summary for those who are reading impaired: GO FIND SOME BMWS AND DRIVE THEM, YOU WILL LIKE THEM, after all its a bmw forum and we must all like them for some reason
Old 01-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #38
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
theres nothing wrong with an integra type R, after all, if you drive it because its a car, it'll get you from point a to point b. once you start shopping for cars because of their speed and performance, then your a 16/17/18 or w/e year old shopping for the wrong reason. And if you think it IS a good car in terms of performance, then you are mistaken(if it is, in this case, compared to an e30) but either way, i wouldnt mind driving a civic, i dont mind others that drive civics, i just hate people with an arrogant attitude about their cars, and those that think their civic is above all

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 01-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #39
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
FYI, the Integra Type R has LSD
Old 01-29-2008, 07:18 PM   #40
MTurboPower3

Name: MTurboPower3
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Dont have a car yet
I just thought about it and the type R isn't worth it either, maybe I could get a lease of a 135 or somthing like that. I only liked it because it was quick off the line I don't need a fast car in the middle of the city, I just need somthing with some pop.

Last edited by MTurboPower3; 01-29-2008 at 07:20 PM..
Old 01-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #41
nick_318is

E36 man it has some pop and if not what you save on not getting a newer car can afford you to add your own pop.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #42
craig

Name: craig
Title: Sitting in Time out
Click here to set it up.
if you could find a 135 or whatever, that would be SWEET. but leasing is pretty much a waist of money IMO

go for an e36 or e30 tho, they have some "pop" off the line too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDN9_W-wDng
Old 01-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #43
253325is

Name: 253325is
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1987 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWLotAttendant View Post
This is where I come in. I will have to say something. I do drive a 97 Camry CE right now. I do have to say that IMHO, my Camry is better in so many ways than an e30. Lasts longer, more room, IMO better looking, and newer. It is all relative to what your personal tastes are, and for me, I would choose a Generation 3/4 Camry over an e30 anyday. And fyi about women. You don't want them to like you for your car, they should be attracted to your personality. Yes, your car may have something to do with how they were attracted to you with reference to your car, but when the rubber meets the road, it's going to be your personality compatibility that makes or breaks the relationship. Have a nice day!
hey hey hey i dont know why everyone needs to freak out. my camry was an 86 and i just thought i would say for the same year an e30 is a way cleaner car. my friend has a 99 camry le with the v6 and the thing flys but i was just talking year and price kinda thing. also the brings me wemen b-m-w just a me and buddys joke i guess but forget it. i just got out of a three year relationship so if i wanted another one anytime soon i wouldnt go around waiting for girls to flock to my car.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #44
253325is

Name: 253325is
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1987 325is
whats a 135?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #45
witeshark

Name: witeshark