Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Tire, Wheels And Suspension Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Tire, Wheels And Suspension Forum Sponsored by: TireRack.com
Talk about tires and wheels , Discuss springs, coilovers, struts, sways, and all related topics for your Bimmer.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
H&R on stock sport shocks?

So i am wondering if i can put H&R sport springs onto my stock sport shocks?

I know theres the issue of the shocks bottoming out, but is it possible to do with out issues in the future? and is this even an issue with the HR setup?
also shocks are like $700 pushing me way above my budget.

I ask because im changing the front shock tower mounts on the E46, along with Tie rods and a steering coupling. Since im going to have the front suspension apart i figure another $400 and ill have the car lowered at the same time.

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)
Old 01-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
iamcreepingdeath

Name: iamcreepingdeath
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
I would suggest bilstien sport shocks, but with the moderate lowering of H&R Sports, it isn't crucial, you will be fine, but if you ever get the money, i highly recommend Bilstien Sport shocks. I have H&R OE springs on my car (1.0" front/0.5" rear), at first with stock shocks, and everything was cool, and i replaced only my rear shocks with Bilstien Sports, and WOW what a difference! When i have the money i will also do the front shocks, but until then...
Old 01-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
I would suggest bilstien sport shocks, but with the moderate lowering of H&R Sports, it isn't crucial, you will be fine, but if you ever get the money, i highly recommend Bilstien Sport shocks. I have H&R OE springs on my car (1.0" front/0.5" rear), at first with stock shocks, and everything was cool, and i replaced only my rear shocks with Bilstien Sports, and WOW what a difference! When i have the money i will also do the front shocks, but until then...
heh yea. when i get the money. But honestly..i have bilstein tourings in my 318. The rears are shot after 40 thousand miles. (took em out and no rebound..heh..im riding on springs) so are the sports going to last longer?

But alright, ill just do springs for now. I just want a lower ride basically. handling should not get worse, only better with the lower ride i assume. And as it stands right now it handles better then it should on a public road.

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)
Old 01-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
iamcreepingdeath

Name: iamcreepingdeath
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
Yes with the H&R's the handling will improve noticeably. aren't the touring shocks Bilstien's cheapest shocks? i have only had mine for a few thousand miles, so i do not know too much about how long they last. I have had no problems yet.