Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Tire, Wheels And Suspension Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Tire, Wheels And Suspension Forum Sponsored by: TireRack.com
Talk about tires and wheels , Discuss springs, coilovers, struts, sways, and all related topics for your Bimmer.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
JBM BMW E36

Name: JBM BMW E36
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1993 BMW 325i
M-series wheels on 325i. Lowering options?

Alright guys. I got a 325i with the 18" M-series wheels on 225/40 ZR-18! I'm looking to lower it without any rub. How much drop do ya guys think I can get away with.

P.S. I like to drift so i need some room.

Looking for setup recommendations.

Thanks all.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
You can probably do a small drop I would say 1.5 inches or so, keep in mind that you might need to roll fenders to keep from rubbing I'm not sure what the tire sizes and such are for the e36. I would suggest an H&R sport or Eibach spring for a small drop that won't hurt the wallet too much. I would also suggest some Bilstein sport or Koni Sport adjustable struts and it should be a pretty good handler.

What do you mean when you say you like to drift, where are you drifting and what is the extent of the drift? Don't be an idiot on the streets. Oh yeah and Grip>Drift!!!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
JBM BMW E36

Click here to set it up.
I don't hit the surface streets necessarily. I have some buddies that go to the track. I haven't had a rwd vehicle for a while til now. So gotta get the vehicle setup and see about some track time. I live in PHX, AZ though. and definitely a 5 sp.

Thanks for the info too.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
iamcreepingdeath

Name: iamcreepingdeath
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
Might i suggest H&R OE springs. I have them on my car and i am very happy with them, I also have 17" wheels and Bilstien Sport rear shocks. The H&R OE springs lower the car 1.0" in the front and 0.5" in the back, very modest, but a noticeable difference, perhaps what you are looking for. The springs have reduced the body roll of my car and maintain a very driveable feel.

With 18's, i am not sure if your tires will rub, but i can tell you my tires never once rubbed, so you should be fine.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
JBM BMW E36

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
Might i suggest H&R OE springs. I have them on my car and i am very happy with them, I also have 17" wheels and Bilstien Sport rear shocks. The H&R OE springs lower the car 1.0" in the front and 0.5" in the back, very modest, but a noticeable difference, perhaps what you are looking for. The springs have reduced the body roll of my car and maintain a very driveable feel.

With 18's, i am not sure if your tires will rub, but i can tell you my tires never once rubbed, so you should be fine.
What is the size tire you run on the 17's and how much room do you have between fender and tire? This info should help me make the final decision. I am familiar with H&R and a fan.

Thanks for the info!!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
iamcreepingdeath

Name: iamcreepingdeath
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
front tires are 225/45/ZR17 and rears are 245/40/ZR17. This is because my front wheels are 7.5" wide and my rears are 8.5" wide so i need different size tires to achieve near equal sidewall height.

look at the pics of my car here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/iamthenomad/MyBMW

I have labelled the pictures to indicate which ones my car is lowered with the H&R OE springs and which ones aren't.