Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
peterkdenny

Name: peterkdenny
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: '96 328is
328is problem, runs weird - Vacuum hose leak? something clogged?

I just bought a '96 328is (i just hit a deer with my 325 and totaled it) and it doesnt run quite right. Every once in a while it will sputter out at about 800 rpm when its in gear with the clutch in or even just idleing. It sounds like something is clogged almost when this happens. Also, when i get up to speed and maintain a constant speed with steady throttle, the comes in and out in two second intervals. With the throttle perfectly still, i can see the mpg gauge dip up and down when this happens. Could it be some sort of vacuum hose problem or something thats clogged? The car accelerates fine when i stomp it. I would appreciate any help or ideas.

Also, my abs and my brake pad lights are on. My brake pads are fine and the rotors are new, does anyone know why they are on?

Thanks

Also pictures coming soon of the new car and the wrecked one.

Last edited by peterkdenny; 01-14-2008 at 03:39 PM..
Old 01-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
gldfshkpr

Name: gldfshkpr
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: '97 318i M44 - Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterkdenny View Post
Also, my abs and my brake pad lights are on. My brake pads are fine and the rotors are new, does anyone know why they are on?
From what I understand there are brake pad sensors that need to be replaced along with the pads. I'm sure someone here can elaborate on that more. The ABS light means something is not right with the system and you have conventional brakes now instead of anti-lock. That's what the owner's manual says anyhow. Sorry to hear about your 325 and congrats on the new car.

Hang up and drive.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
215BIMMER535

Name: 215BIMMER535
Rate My Car: 123 / 340
Your Ride: '97 328i
like he said when the pad light comes on it doesnt just turn off with new pads, the sensors have to be replaced. (not expensive and easily replaced) for the abs light i would check the simple stuff first like the wheel speed sensors.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
3050rpm

Name: 3050rpm
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
Yes, brake pad sensors, or more likely just the wheel speed sensors, they might just need to have the contacts cleaned; if that doesn't do it, then I don't think replacement is that big a job.

As to the running, you might have to go through all the fundamentals, air filter, plugs, 02 sensor, idle control valve, fuel filter, especially if adequate maintenance records didn't come with the car.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
peterkdenny

Name: peterkdenny
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: '96 328is
oh yea, i got the running problem fixed a while ago, i had a huge vacuum hose leak in the intake. In was some valve with three letters before the valve, but i forget what it was... something like pcf valve but if anyone else has something similar, thats it