Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Tech Talk > BMW OEM Parts Department DIY's & FAQ's
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW OEM Parts Department DIY's & FAQ's Sponsored by: Advance Auto Parts
Discussion of everything OEM with Advance Auto Parts

Old 12-30-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
pickedaname

Name: pickedaname
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 92 735iL
Adjusting a power seat that doesn't move...

I posted this in the 7 series section, should have been here.

If anyone ever needs to adjust the seat when the module is bad, here is how I did it. If you have a shortcut please post. This will not work if the motor is bad.
Under the front of the driver seat, remove the black plastic cover (It pulls off)
This will expose the front of the module along with several 6 pin connectors and a 26 pin connector (26 pin is white, far passanger side of module. Won't need to bother with this one here).
All of the 6 pin connectors on the front are direct connects to the various motors in or under the seat. The Brown 6pin slides the entire seat front or back. This is the one you want if you wish to remove the seat so you can slide the seat forward to access the etorx bolts. For the rest, verify using an electric schematic or manual. No matter the connector,
pins 4 and 6 are always the 2 (at least on my car E32) that lead to the motor. They are the heavier gauge pins in each connector.
I ran a temp jumper from the positive term of the battery and another from a clean nut visible in the doorway for ground. You must remove the connector from the module before you apply power to these leads as the ICs in the module work on 5v and you are applying 12v from the battery. Aside from that, tapping into the wires while the connector is still in place doesnt work. I think that the circuit in the module offers less ohms than the motor so the vDC takes the path of least ohms. Pull the connector DOWN towards the ground, NOT out towards the front of the car. Take care doing this.
Contact the + jumper to 4 or 6, and the ground jumper to the other. If the seat part goes in the direction you don't want, simply reverse the jumpers.
Make sure your tools, YOUR FINGERS, OTHERS FINGERS and all of that stuff is CLEAR of the seat parts BEFORE giving the motor power.