Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
chris3896

Name: chris3896
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 323i
Unhappy Why is BMW tuning so much more expensive

Sometimes I wonder why our beloved BMW's are stuck with such poor bang for the buck performance mods. Everything seems to be more expensive. I (and give it some thought before you bash me for even saying this) wonder at times why my buddies (thechrisworrell) mustang gets such cheap parts. And granted, yes I know it's a Mustang. Yes I know it will probably fall apart. But hell everything for him is about a third the price and he gets more performance gains. Its crazy. A short shifter from Steeda = $160. A short shifter from UUC or other brand = $300-500. That is just one of a very large list.

Is BMW just the victim of marketing and such that assumes that everything BMW just has to be more expensive? Any ideas or reasons...
Old 12-14-2007, 05:06 AM   #2
r2dmax

Name: r2dmax
Click here to set it up.
Its probably a combination of things. Some Bimmer drivers are "stuck up" to say the least. They are unwilling to use Meguiars car wax. It has to be P21. Wont use Castrol Syntec oil. Has to be Mobil1. So many aftermarket companies play on this IMO. Additionally, Bimmers are well built compared to the US built cars such as the Mustang and the audience is completely different.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Being "stuck up" has nothing to do with the question. BMWs are known for their handling, road manners and build quality, not as much for speed. There simply isn't as much interest out there for aftermarket tuning parts as there is for other cars like the Mustang. The average BMW client is satisfied with the car as it is; they buy the car for what it is, not for what they can do to it. Therefore, there is not a big market demand for tuning stuff, so whatever is available is expensive because it doesn't sell in high quantities.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Montizzle 325i

Name: Montizzle 325i
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1998 dakar ///M3 sedan 5-spd
Well for starters your paying for a premium car up front. Expect mods to be much more part for part than entry level vehicles. If you feel bad, just imagine how much the lambo guys are paying for intakes!
Old 12-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
denyo77

Name: denyo77
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 198 / 340
Your Ride: 1988 325i Touring
^+1 to that!
Yeah, Bimmer driver's don't really supe them up
exept for suspension (which is prolly the reason why you get them quite cheap)
Old 12-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
scooter

Name: scooter
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 295 / 340
Your Ride: 99m3
BMW's are well engineered pieces of machinery, out of the box there is very little to be had over what the factory already brewed as such tuning becomes a lot harder then sticking a fart can out back and picking up 50hp.

our cars are pretty much maxed out and short of forced induction its extremely hard to make significant power, also R&d costs are very high and only a handful of tuners have a clue on how to properly tune these cars.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:36 PM   #7
94bmw325i

Name: 94bmw325i
Title: Hellrot325
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 94 bmw 325i, 97 vw golf
there are cheaper alternatives to making some NA power in BMW's than the expensive tuning companies.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #8
scooter

Name: scooter
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 295 / 340
Your Ride: 99m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94bmw325i View Post
there are cheaper alternatives to making some NA power in BMW's than the expensive tuning companies.
like?
Old 12-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
chris3896

Name: chris3896
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 323i
Montizzle 325i Well for starters your paying for a premium car up front. Expect mods to be much more part for part than entry level vehicles. If you feel bad, just imagine how much the lambo guys are paying for intakes!

Yeah no kidding. I was at the Bimmer store right near my house, and they sell a lot of just general top end cars (Porsche, Lambo, Lotus, etc. ) and I went in there looking for a kidney grill. Talking to the inventory guy, I saw a Lambo parked outside. And I asked him about it. The guy says that the guy wanted brand new wheels and that they cost $10,000. A WHEEL!!! I was like...wait what? Yeah. Apparently it was his 3rd pair or something. I paid for my $20 dollar kidney grill and left haha...

Totally understand the entire aspect of buying the Bimmer "out-of-the-box". I wouldn't trade my car in for anything else (except for a better Bimmer). It just frustrates me when his car is sitting there with crazy power on tap and he spent several grand. If I wanted those numbers it would be ridiculous. Even then, things like short shifters and clutches are really just overly expensive. Oh well. I guess it comes with the territory.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #10
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
heh.

you gotta pay for quality and the name.

I used to work for a multi Millionaire, i had never seen so much expensive shit i n my entire life. I was introduced to the life of a millionaire...and learned if you want the name (yea i believe people buy BMW because its a BMW..not just for performance...dont try to act like this isnt true) and quality you gotta pay for it.

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)
Old 12-16-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
MTurboPower3

Name: MTurboPower3
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Dont have a car yet
Another answer to your question is because most of the tuning parts are made Germany as opposed to parts for a mustang. It cost more money to import it. Also BMW tuning parts are made with quality and exactness, so the person that buys it doesn't have to change anything about the part to make it fit. Lets say you buy a turbo for a 3 series, the people that made that turbo made it so that it exactly fit in the place where its supposed to not take up more more room than its supposed to.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #12
MSheraz86

Name: MSheraz86
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 318i (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudesky View Post
BMWs are known for their handling, road manners and build quality, not as much for speed. The average BMW client is satisfied with the car as it is; they buy the car for what it is, not for what they can do to it.
Very well said!! A Honda Civic Type-R, VW Golf or any other modification worthy car are way better option for a car to modify. Modifying a BMW sounds a bit crazy to some extent. Personallly I love my BMW as it is and would NOT want to change it! The ONLY thing I would change is the ICE system
Old 12-22-2007, 10:43 PM   #13
Dan

Name: Dan
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 540
some aftermaket parts sellers think that BMW = everything should be expensive or we're just so dumb we'll pay out of our nose for cheap parts...

sub $100 exhaust for $800+???

there are some tuners who are truly interested in the BMW community and contribute to it. some are just out to rape and pillage while pretending to be "interested" in helping out.