Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
RipCityInSoCal

Name: RipCityInSoCal
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Need your thoughts about appeal and price of my DINAN BMW

Fellow enthusiasts: Reason suggests I sell my 2001 740i Sport and I need your opinions. The car has roughly $9K in Dealer-installed DINAN components yielding 325 horsepower, better shift points, higher mileage, etc. It's the short wheelbase version with the true sports package including the StepTronic transmission, M steering wheel, seats, gearing, suspension, etc.... not simply the visual enhancements/wheels included with the iL (long wheelbase) Sport package. This was the final year of the most-favored 7 series body style before they softened it and lost many fans. Consequently, it had many small improvements to keep it fresh as the cycle life was coming to an end, such as improved headlights, clear taillight covers, black-out of all trim, better nav antenna, enhanced horsepower, yada, yada. I have, over the years, replaced nearly all the various bits of plastic trim to keep the car looking fresh, such as the complete tail light group, the front light covers, the little side lights that yellow, etc., including all the window rubber surrounds and such just last month. The car has just over 100,000 miles upon it. I bought it CPO at 35,000 miles in 2003 and immediately ran it to 95,000 in two years all on Interstate 5 between San Diego and Orange County as my daily commute...so the miles put much less wear and tear on the car as implied by the mileage. Basically, it got two very nice freeway runs each day with very little braking, shifting, idling, etc. Since then, it just gets occassional use. Bottom line is that I don't need 5 cars. I also don't really need to sell it but it is a bit wasteful to pay insurance, registration and such on so many cars. This may be my favorite road car ever and I also own two Porsches, so I consider this a big statement. I've searched many times for the perfect combination of luxury, business sedan and sports car drive and failed to find any clear answer...but this one is it! Today, now that they are a bit larger, that answer would likely be an M5 or competitor but that requires six figures so this is the answer for those enthusiasts of more modest means. My question for you is whether there is a market that appreciates this car and it's enhancements and will pay a reasonable sum for it above and beyond just any-old 7 series...and what a fair value should be? I would sell it at a win-win price, don't need to make a killing and sort of just want to find it a good home! However, at dealer trade pricing I'd rather continue to be the proud owner! Please, please lend me your thoughts about pricing and the best way to reach the new owner via United Bimmer! Thank you, in advance!
Old 11-27-2007, 01:41 AM   #2
m3flyer

Name: m3flyer
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 3 / 340
Your Ride: 1) Alpinweiss 1989 M3 2) Diamondswartz 1989 M3
Lightbulb Interesting, but...

You could post them in the thread or give folks web addresses of pics.

Either way, "a picture is worth 1000 words". It'll help in assessment of value.

Take offers... It will help guage the lower end of the market.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
RipCityInSoCal

Name: RipCityInSoCal
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Well, I can certainly get around to pix...but I'm not looking for a precise answer or value, just gut responses from those with ideas, so I don't agree that it's worthless. However, while your feedback is different from what I was looking for, but valid. Thank you. I'll get on it. Taking offers suggestion is also helpful. Thanks again.