Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:49 AM   #1
danoman94

Name: danoman94
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 325is
Bought an e36, two small problems.. help?

i just bought a '94 325is last month and have noticed two things that bother me..

1) When i am gently accelerating, usually between 2 and 3 thousand rpm, and only when the car is in gear and under a load, i hear a clinking that almost sounds like mild "dieseling" and seems to be coming from clutch or cat. converter. I thought it was a wheel center cap rattling at first from the sound. It doesn't seem to happen under hard acceleration. Also, it doesn't cause any rpm/engine stutter or loss of power and i can't feel any vibration. It has made the noise a few times while accelerating from 0 mph in first gear at any rpm.. and it is always louder at these times. I first heard the noise when i got stuck on I-75 North of atlanta in stop and go construction traffic. Possibly the "clutch judder"? <- what is that anyway?

2) For the past two weeks, when i start the car while the engine is cool, it immediately jumps up to 2000 rpm when engine starts and then falls to normal idle. Also, It now takes about 2 or 3 more revolutions to start while cold. Could this be a dirty ICV? (if i let the starter run for 1 second but do not let the engine start, then crank a second time to start - the engine starts at normal rpm)

Anybody know what's going on? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4260.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	877  
Old 11-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
player2poet

Name: player2poet
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1985 bmw 325
i couldnt tell you about the first thing .but the second thing on your list is not a problem its just your cold injector doing its job when you first turn on your key the cold injector is shooting small amount fuel into the cylnder .the sudden jump of rpms is the extra fuel being burned off .
Old 11-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
danoman94

Click here to set it up.
okay, it's just annoying because the oil hasn't circulated yet and it taps loudly for 3 - 5 seconds or so when it jumps to 2000 rpm right off the bat.

I payed attention to the clinking noise this morning, and i noticed that it does not make the noise until the engine has warmed up... from what i have read, it sounds like either the control valve in the exhaust or the clutch plates rattling. Has anyone had a similar issue?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
player2poet

Click here to set it up.
yea i have a 92 and it does the same thing but only when it feels like it very annoying but nothing to worry about at least my hasnt killed over from it yet.and yea i know the other sound too . its the lifters clacking might want check oil level too. but mine does the same thing mostley on cold starts if the engine is warm and oil has circlated it wont do it .just little things you kind of get used to .just make sure keep up on oil changes and so on and you should be good .
Old 11-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
player2poet

Click here to set it up.
does the sound kinda like crunching slash vibrading from just behind shifter ?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
player2poet

Click here to set it up.
the rattling is probley the guibo that links the tranny to the drive shaft at least thats what mine is and it does the same thing check to see if yours is cracked or tore very common that this happens. there cheap and not that hard to fix yourself .i myself have just been lazy .

Last edited by player2poet; 11-05-2007 at 05:00 PM..
Old 11-05-2007, 10:22 PM   #7
danoman94

Click here to set it up.
Okay i'll check it out tomorrow. I have read about those flex discs but i too have been too lazy to check it out.

I have a mildly squealing pulley that is going bad as well and plan on taking the belts off this weekend to find out which one it is.. The guy who sold it must have lubricated it or something before he sold it. It sounds like the alternator pulley, i used a telescoping pick-up magnet as a stethoscope and both of the tensioner pulleys sound fine. But the alternator's pulley is hard to listen to with that method.. also, when i close the door while the car is running, the window shuts completely and causes the motor to drop rpm's and all of the lights dim briefly - so i think the pulley is on the alternator side.

Besides those few annoyances, it runs very well.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
player2poet

Click here to set it up.
yea that sounds like your alternator hopefully its the pulley and not the alt itself pricey thing $275 for mine .but good luck and have fun in your bimmer .you havt to fix the nut behind the wheel before you can the fix bolts on the car.lol

Last edited by player2poet; 11-06-2007 at 10:20 AM..
Old 11-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
acelnah

Name: acelnah
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: z3
The vibration I had as well, changed the rear breaks and fixed the problem. They still had a little life left in them. The idle problem possible the cam sensor. I changed mine due to inproper idle and cutting out at time and Blank 2-3 seconds then back t running.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
micki

Name: micki
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 95 318 e36
hi i have a `318 e36 1995 in red that is all origanal only one corncern where can i get replacement jacking rubbers from please micki