Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #76
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTurboPower3 View Post
I like E30 but moded ones kinda like yours. If I get an E30 I want to upgrade the suspension and build up the engine maybe even swap for an S52 or a turbo or somthing like that. I don't think an E30 is very fast stock.
then you probably haven't driven one
Old 11-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #77
celsdogg

there is much more to a car than fast. . .
Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #78
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Stock 168 hp E30 325i have been timed to about 7.4 seconds in 0 - 60. Hardly slow
Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 PM   #79
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
what aer you gonna do, race it?

lol.

I know u wanna prove to ur friends that you have the biggest balls, but you wanna keep your balls attached to your body.

I think a 328 or e20 325 would be sweet. It will surprise most people as far as power and handling go. What ever you do dont get a FWD car. I think my RWD has saved my ass more times then i can count. I cant really explain..but when screwing around having the ass end jump out seems to work better then having the front slide into a wall.

Have you even test drove any cars yet? Go feel what a 350z feels like with 300 hp and compare it to a 328..youll be surprised.

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)
Old 11-14-2007, 12:30 AM   #80
craig

Name: craig
Title: Sitting in Time out
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
as i have said earlier, get an e30, put some bolt-ons on it, lower it, get some sweet wheels, and i can guarantee you will love it.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:48 AM   #81
celsdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numark318i View Post
I know u wanna prove to ur friends that you have the biggest balls, but you wanna keep your balls attached to your body.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:35 PM   #82
denyo77

Name: denyo77
Rate My Car: 198 / 340
Your Ride: 1988 325i Touring
+2
Old 11-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #83
MTurboPower3

Name: MTurboPower3
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Dont have a car yet
I have drove a 350Z but one of my family friend's Z with twin turbo. 600hp. I thought i was going to die. It was rediculous the tac went to red line like every 10 seconds. But I only got to 3rd I was scared to go farther.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #84
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTurboPower3 View Post
I like E30 but moded ones kinda like yours. If I get an E30 I want to upgrade the suspension and build up the engine maybe even swap for an S52 or a turbo or somthing like that. I don't think an E30 is very fast stock.
E30s are fast. I have kept up with ///M Coupes on track and other things that should blow me away and I only have 136hp stock, maybe 144ish with chip and exhaust, they are light weight and handle very well. You want a fast e30 go find an e30 M3.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #85
MTurboPower3

Name: MTurboPower3
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Dont have a car yet
yea but their expensive
their all around 20k
Old 11-16-2007, 09:36 AM   #86
dev6315

Name: dev6315
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1989 325is
You really need to find a BMW and drive one to fully understand. You arent buying a car that will do a 12 second 1/4. you are buying a car that you feel connected with; they dont call it the Ultimate Driving Machine for nothing. Test drive one, and take a corner, but dont touch the brake, you'll see what everyone here is talking about.
Plus I have some mild engine mods on mine and trust me, she is plenty quick for an all round civilized sports car.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:24 PM   #87
zbmwr

Name: zbmwr
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 94 325is
what a thread..i got mine for 4500..... and its nice
Old 11-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #88
kid_Z3

Name: kid_Z3
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 BMW Z3
I suggest an E36 M3 for general performance, but if you want a little less performance but much more updated BMW style go for an E46 with sports package, I own one and i have been trying to sell it and get a newer E46 or maybe one of the new 3 series for the last 6 months but I just cant part with it.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:07 AM   #89
TheUniballer

Name: TheUniballer
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1993 BMW 325is
I started by looking at a 300zx and found some damn nice ones around 9-10K. Plus they got more like 300hp. I'd stay away from volvos tho. Expensive as hell to repair. BMW is a very good bet, good first car and repair costs are manageable (DONT GO TO A DEALER). IDK it's really what you feel the most comfortable about. RWD isnt as dangerous in bad weather as some people might think. You just have to watch it a little more.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:20 AM   #90
RipCityInSoCal

Name: RipCityInSoCal
Click here to set it up.
Dude: You're killin' me. Some thoughts: First, I assume from the $ and just working that you are very young. Okay, no problem...you've been given some good advice here already. A 3 series BMW from years ago is not going to be a big insurance drain anymore than oodles of other cars. I suspect you would have loads of fun. However, you definitely need to consider annual cost to maintain and repair any of the used cars you consider and I am LOL about leasing a 1 series...c'mon. An older BMW is the poster child for expensive repairs and most young budgets cannot handle them because they are maxed out already on the purchase/loan payment, gas, insurance, babes, etc. Just ask the service men at the $100/hr. dealership if they discount for older cars...that sound you'll hear is laughter. Just today, I posted an inquiry here about selling my 2001 740i DINAN modified Sport model which is exactly the kind of combination you should look for but in a more age/intent appropriate model. That car is going to be a huge value for someone under $20K. As another replied, you could find a nicely modified car rather than do it at full cost and you won't pay the full boat. That buyer of my car and similar others, though, should be allowing four figures to repair it each year and you just don't sound like that kinda guy. I'm also laughing out loud because you said you don't think a powerful RWD car is smart in the snow...THEN WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT THESE POWERFUL RWD BMWs FOR!?!?!? And, as also noted by others, Supras and RX7 are precisely that, as well! I replied to you in part because I owned three Supras and LOVED them. And, let's just say I was quite "successful" in them. But, once you get up in miles you are looking at expensive repairs (read Timing, cam towers, yada yada) just like a BMW. I am also laughing because over the years I'd visit the BMW dealership and not even make it to a test drive because I was dissappointed that they did not have a "sports" car like my Supras...to which the sales people would take some high-n-mighty position as though the 3 series was actually a superior performer and I would laugh at them. If only I knew then what I know now about handling and performance I'd have bought a Bimmer long ago because they were spot-on and I was to stupid to see it until twelve years later! There is no Japanese car like that that compares. Young Sir, you need to insulate yourself from a big error by getting something new enough to take advantage of more recent reliability and perhaps, as a byproduct, lower miles, repairs, etc. Without knowing pricing, I'd say a three or four year old Mini with some cool mods and a long warranty is your best bet. A warranty would allow you to overpay by a couple thou and be happy about it. All the Japanese cars you mentioned lose their class and cool at the age you've suggested and the 3 series or Mini from a few years ago would have that along with a ride you'll never regret. If you go older on the 3 series, my only advice is they are a dime a dozen and you should drive a hard bargain for $6-8K on something worth $12 retail but just pay dealer trade value and expect to shell out more later. Good luck. P.S., if you're older, you should buy my 7 series and you'll never look back...but you gotta be around late 20s, at least. It's funny about the guy who likes American Muscle (as I do)...with my DINAN mods, the cars my 7 series sounds most like are 70s muscle cars...OOOOoooh the rumble!