Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 10-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #31
scooter

Name: scooter
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 295 / 340
Your Ride: 99m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSF5 View Post
Then your going to have a hard time surviving in the real world buddy, much less an online community. You need a thicker skin.
this is whats wrong with you and your attitude, he doesnt need thicker skin, you need to use your head more.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #32
BMWALDO

Name: BMWALDO
Title: Habbie's Crew Chief
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1996 Calypsorot 328i
I don't much care about the posts. Reset them all you like or make the post count hidden or something. That would be neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995E36 View Post

im willing to let the admin's do whatever they feel needs to be done to turn this forum around!! i hope everyone else agrees!
I like your sig. It's purdy.

hellaxcute
Old 10-13-2007, 08:04 PM   #33
1995E36

Name: 1995E36
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWALDO View Post
I don't much care about the posts. Reset them all you like or make the post count hidden or something. That would be neat.

I like your sig. It's purdy.
Thanks, skilario made it! I like yours too

ps, he has a thread somewhere where all the sigs are, he lets everyone use them or something.

off topic, sorry

Last edited by 1995E36; 10-13-2007 at 08:07 PM..
Old 10-14-2007, 01:45 AM   #34
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
i was in the middle of browsing, loaded the next page and bam! the new design was up. nice.

i have read through all these posts and i not sure what to think. i have noticed that some older core members have been disappearing. not sure what to do.

in anycase, i was thinking about this thread today and perhaps new users can view a sticky with information about the forum. like what makes us different, why they shouldnt be afraid to post, and what different things the forum offers. perhaps this thread can be made to be viewed somewhere along the signup process, or maybe its just a page that they view, instead of an actual sticky. along with that, perhaps they should also be brought to the Introductions forum and maybe someones name can be given to them to act as a liaison for them so that they can PM them questions or something.

i guess what im suggesting is some kind of weird battle buddy program. i dunno. its an idea tho.

to be fair, i have had my fair share of "join a forum and never come back" experiences. i often do this to find an answer to a problem, and i think that is all part of the Internet culture as a whole.

i was a member of UB for nearly a year before i started posting regularly. i joined this forum because my uncle recommended it, and i stayed when i realized that i liked the people here. i dont like other forums like bimmerforums because when i tried to integrate there, it was a lot tougher than it was here. where bimmerforums and the like feel like new york, ub feels like a down home town in the south (where i believe this all started anyway). so i feel that is a substantial part, at least IMHO, of the ub experience.

i worked at an internet development company in the past, and i understand the expenses of maintaining a website, especially one with a lot of traffic and bandwidth requirements, so i do understand where you are coming from. as i do not know what exactly the bills are, i can only wonder if they can be scaled back at all to a more small town feel (if they are not there already, just a thought).
Old 10-14-2007, 02:17 AM   #35
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
I can care less if we reset the post counts.

I think we should have more on topic and less off topic. heh. as mentioned above.

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)
Old 10-14-2007, 06:04 AM   #36
denyo77

Name: denyo77
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 198 / 340
Your Ride: 1988 325i Touring
I think that the new site layout will attract other members....
also as I think that most of us are on other forums, too, we could maybe post links to this site or (especially in technical issues) directly to related knowledge base topics so outsiders could find out how good and useful this site is
Old 10-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #37
mullethunter3

Name: mullethunter3
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 156 / 340
Your Ride: 318is, Suzuki GS500
Quote:
Originally Posted by denyo77 View Post
also as I think that most of us are on other forums, too, we could maybe post links to this site or (especially in technical issues) directly to related knowledge base topics so outsiders could find out how good and useful this site is
I'm a member of just about every other forum. Link to Dudesky's or my own DIY's all the time.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #38
scooter

Name: scooter
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 295 / 340
Your Ride: 99m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_318is View Post
After reading a little more of what scooter has to say I can see where you guys are coming from, but the point of people signing up and not posting, isn't that a problem a lot of sites face as Cels has said he has done it, I have done it, its the internet culture. You want an answer to a question so you search you come across a place that might help and you have to sign up to read a post(s) get your info and leave you just have to hope someone finds a reason to post or sees something they like. I found this site on Google looking for more information on the e30 318is and came across a member here and started reading and really liked the atmosphere so I joined and started posting. This is the selling point of the community, this place has the best atmosphere I have found other then my college club (msuracing.com plug) which is even smaller. Like Paul said the best people will be referrals if we can find them from other sites where we see and interact and might have some relationship with others to people we personally know I think that is going to be the best way to get people on to the site and help activity. As far as how to get the people who join to post and be active and stick around its a very good question, as far as the attitudes around here I guess your going to have to be a little more specific I have been on this site almost religiously since I joined, please give some recommendations if you can't see that some of us are trying to have a good time please take a step back and realize that. Also if if it weren't for some of us posting so frequently maybe ub would be dead, i think you should say thanks to an extent and not that we need to change a lot. As far as 1000+ post members posting in this thread isn't that what you wanted people who frequent the site a lot and their ideas to generate activity, these are the people who like you have an interest in keeping this place alive. Give us your ideas and please try to be kind and not run people out of here and I swear I (and hopefully others) will try to help when and where I can because like many of us I really like this site and believe many of our members make good points and everyone just wants to be helpful and keep this place going, you were brought in to help, so what are your suggestions besides an attitude change and again threatening to kick people who you deem to have an attitude problem because they are joking around. Sorry if you deem me as one who needs the attitude change, for adding a + to the post count reset knifing but please also see I responded to points granted I didn't post any huge suggestions I'm just responding to the points that were offered. Lets all work together to help where we can, do we have any place to make donations to help the site?
first let me reply to some of your points:
saying thanks is a 2 way street, we are thankful, hence the changes, sweat, tears, blood and money we poured into the site in the last 3 months.
40 or 50 members are not enough to keep this or any other site alive.
i don't go around threatening anyone unless its absolutely necessary, you should know that as well as anyone.
you can choose to make this a us vs. them type of thing or get on board and contribute to the growth and direction of this site.

this site has been neglected for a long time, we have decided, as a group, that it could no longer continue in its then current state, some of you feel as we stepped on your toes, we didn't, we implemented changes and made a decision to implement and enforce the rules from that point on, if you step over the line we will let you know what you do from that point on is your call.

we are determined to do whatever it takes to make this forum viable for all not just a select few, as such changes are inevitable and we feel they are for the best.

as far as donations go we may be setting up a paypal link soon, that may be an option, however there are new vendors lined up willing to sign once they see some changes in the forum, that is our number one priority for now.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:21 PM   #39
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
New site design I think is helping generate more activity

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #40
94bmw325i

Name: 94bmw325i
Title: Hellrot325
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 94 bmw 325i, 97 vw golf
put large posts into paragraphs? I would like to reply to these posts, but i'm not reading some jumbled up post.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:41 PM   #41
1995E36

Name: 1995E36
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325is
+1 its hard to read that stuff when its not separated in paragraphs...
Old 10-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #42
denyo77

Name: denyo77
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 198 / 340
Your Ride: 1988 325i Touring
yeah, +2