Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 10-11-2007, 09:31 PM   #16
drz

Name: drz
Title: local dumbass
Rate My Car: 34 / 340
Your Ride: E36 2.8i
^ +1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000 million
Old 10-12-2007, 03:08 AM   #17
denyo77

Name: denyo77
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 198 / 340
Your Ride: 1988 325i Touring
WHOOP WHOO C1lapton that's some idea...
I dunno maybe if he saw that the forum is back to normal and stuff like that?
Old 10-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #18
dinan540

Name: dinan540
Title: Upgraded Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
What happened to C1?

540i with some mods
Old 10-13-2007, 02:17 AM   #19
scooter

Name: scooter
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 295 / 340
Your Ride: 99m3
this thread is what is wrong with the forum in general, we ask specific questions on how to improve the forum and attract new memberships and what we get is a bunch of selfish replies, "reset my post count and i'll knife you".
we have offered you the chance time and again to have a say and help us by providing input and opinions only to be disappointed by the general lack of interest or the lack of substance.

let me put this as bluntly and as directly as i can so everyone can understand the urgency of this, forums cost money, keeping the lights on cost money, we have one of 2 choices only:
1. make this a pay site, which we pretty much and from the start know it will never work for obvious reasons.
2. attract more members, more participating members so we can attract supporting vendors to foot the bill and keep the doors open.

the post count idea rooz mentioned stems from a simple fact, look at this thread for instance and most others, only one member with sub 1k posts.... you will never see noobs mix it up because its intimidating when the only ones who participate have several K's posts.
this was brought up as an idea to get everybody even and to level the playing field so to speak.

as usual, i see you guys question and criticize but offer very little in substance, it was asked as to the urgency of all this, its very urgent, we can't go on this way for very much longer.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:22 AM   #20
scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_318is View Post
+2

I would post even more but with a real job now I'm not able to spend as much time on the site as I used to be. In response to what is listed:
1.I think we have a much friendlier environment then many other sites out there and its not very hard to post.
2. I thought the forums were opened up to everyone except in the members lounge if you cant take the 2 minutes or less to register go someplace else.
3.What's wrong with the edited by info? Sometimes I like to have people be able to see I edited something especially if i was in the wrong or insulted anyone.
4. We have a pretty good selection and why would smileys stop you from posting?
5. Preview of whats coming looks pretty good I will withhold all other comments on it until it is live.
6. See Above.
I always only check the "new posts" link unless I know specifically where something I want is and its the easiest way for me to stay current although I'm probably on the site a lot more then some other members, but the newest stuff is the active stuff.
1. yet less then 10% of new members post? less then 5% more then once... that does not seem like very easy to me.
2. most do go elswhere, the bounce rate is sky high.
3. moot point.
4. same here
5. the change to the look of the forum will do very little in itself unless we change some attitudes around here.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:03 AM   #21
RSF5

Name: RSF5
Title: Leave that out of this.
Rate My Car: 278 / 340
Your Ride: NOOTHHHIIIINNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
and what we get is a bunch of selfish replies, "reset my post count and i'll knife you".
we have offered you the chance time and again to have a say and help us by providing input and opinions only to be disappointed by the general lack of interest or the lack of substance.
Oh pull the stick out of your ass. I was making a damn joke.

I've seen very few attitudes around here that need changing, were all usually very polite, social, and helpful to anyone who asks to the best of our abilities. This is all we can offer you.

I'm sorry the site isn't getting a ton of posters but attacking the good people that frequent this site isn't going to help anything either.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:18 AM   #22
scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSF5 View Post

I've seen very few attitudes around here that need changing, were all usually very polite, social, and helpful to anyone who asks to the best of our abilities. This is all we can offer you.

I'm sorry the site isn't getting a ton of posters but attacking the good people that frequent this site isn't going to help anything either.
i guess that is your way of being polite and social...
you may want to weigh your words very carefully in the future, i will let this slide this time but let me assure you that joke or not next time it will be your ass.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:48 AM   #23
sketcher

Name: sketcher
Title: remember
Click here to set it up.
Quote:

people like you have kept me from posting here.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #24
drz

I couldn't care less if my post count is reset. However, I don't see how doing that would help at all. Two and a half years from now, we would face the same problem: a very small percentage of the members would be very active and have very high post counts, which may prompt administration to come in and reset the post count again. This is simply the nature of Gaussian distribution, and studies show that human behavior is very Gaussian.

One more thing about post counts: as part of the staff on a different BMW forum, I collaborated with a researcher from Stanford University who is studying online networking sites. This person was kind enough to share the compiled results of the research (which included several sites -- not just one). One of the conclusions was that aside from personal interaction with the members of the site, the most important determining factors used by forum members to assign credibility to the information posted were number of posts, time on the network, and member status. I think we can all agree that these three are closely related.

I can see how a new member would be hesitant to take advice from me if I have been a member since April 2004 and only have 7 posts. Then again, I really don't care. I must say, though: it is not like UB has a problem with people running up their post count anyway. Perhaps a compromise would be to hide that information from the sidebar. The system can continue logging our post count, but perhaps the actual number is only viewable if one visits a particular member's profile. Or maybe each member can only see his or her own post count, but the number of posts still determines our "member status."

scooter, please take the following words for what they are. Understand that there is no hostile tone that goes with them. As soon as I read RSF5's post, I knew it was a joke. I didn't even need to get to the part where the post says "j/k." Although we have shared a lot of time on this board, I don't know this member personally, we have never PM'd, emailed, or probably even replied to each other's posts on the board. Nevertheless, being around this member has been enough for me to understand the MO I should expect, and thus I knew right away that the aforementioned statement was made in jest. As a newcomer, you are at a disadvantage because you haven't had the chance to get to know us the way we know each other's online personae. Please take this into consideration when reading some of the stuff on this site.

One things that I would recommend is that discipline be handled via PM or email. I don't think there is any need for the newcomers to see that UB scolds members publicly.

I must say that I am just now learning that UB is facing a financial dilemma and I am bit concerned. When the site was first created, we were informed that ad revenue was not of utmost importance, that the site had been created for entertainment purposes mostly, and that the site's founder would take care of the bill gladly if that became necessary. We were told then that the aim was to form the best -- not the largest -- BMW enthusiast board on the Web. I understand that things change with time, but I figured I would try to educate the new staff on what the members have come to expect from UB and why that is.

In terms of growing the site, we need to be aware that UB is facing up against some online BMW enthusiast powerhouses that are very well established. No simple changes will get UB further up the ranks. Start by growing the Knowledge base. Be intentional and get staff members and perhaps some of the hardcore old timers to be very intentional about documenting their projects well. You think having the best DIY procedures will not attract traffic? What about RMC? When the idea was first conceived, the goal was to make RMC into something that would compete head to head with the large car showcase sites. UB started the race late. The large sites are way ahead. Simply drinking water will not help UB catch up. UB needs an energy drink.

I reserve the right to use the ideas that I have proposed on the site on which I am staff. I don't want a deja vu of something we had a few years ago happen, when UB staff accused the staff on the other site of being copy cats, to ensue.

Lastly, allow me to clarify that I am aware that I have been warned to not post at all unless I have something useful to say. Usefulness is subjective, and the best I can do is express that I believe that this post can be useful to UB to the best of my knowledge. I hope that at least some of the members agree. If I manage to be of help to any of the staff, that would be a welcomed surprise.

kthxby

Last edited by drz; 10-13-2007 at 01:55 PM..
Old 10-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #25
scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
I couldn't care less if my post count is reset. However, I don't see how doing that would help at all. Two and a half years from now, we would face the same problem: a very small percentage of the members would be very active and have very high post counts, which may prompt administration to come in and reset the post count again. This is simply the nature of Gaussian distribution, and studies show that human behavior is very Gaussian.

One more thing about post counts: as part of the staff on a different BMW forum, I collaborated with a researcher from Stanford University who is studying online networking sites. This person was kind enough to share the compiled results of the research (which included several sites -- not just one). One of the conclusions was that aside from personal interaction with the members of the site, the most important determining factors used by forum members to assign credibility to the information posted were number of posts, time on the network, and member status. I think we can all agree that these three are closely related.

I can see how a new member would be hesitant to take advice from me if I have been a member since April 2004 and only have 7 posts. Then again, I really don't care. I must say, though: it is not like UB has a problem with people running up their post count anyway. Perhaps a compromise would be to hide that information from the sidebar. The system can continue logging our post count, but perhaps the actual number is only viewable if one visits a particular member's profile. Or maybe each member can only see his or her own post count, but the number of posts still determines our "member status."

scooter, please take the following words for what they are. Understand that there is no hostile tone that goes with them. As soon as I read RSF5's post, I knew it was a joke. I didn't even need to get to the part where the post says "j/k." Although we have shared a lot of time on this board, I don't know this member personally, we have never PM'd, emailed, or probably even replied to each other's posts on the board. Nevertheless, being around this member has been enough for me to understand the MO I should expect, and thus I knew right away that the aforementioned statement was made in jest. As a newcomer, you are at a disadvantage because you haven't had the chance to get to know us the way we know each other's online personae. Please take this into consideration when reading some of the stuff on this site.

One things that I would recommend is that discipline be handled via PM or email. I don't think there is any need for the newcomers to see that UB scolds members publicly.

I must say that I am just now learning that UB is facing a financial dilemma and I am bit concerned. When the site was first created, we were informed that ad revenue was not of utmost importance, that the site had been created for entertainment purposes mostly, and that the site's founder would take care of the bill gladly if that became necessary. We were told then that the aim was to form the best -- not the largest -- BMW enthusiast board on the Web. I understand that things change with time, but I figured I would try to educate the new staff on what the members have come to expect from UB and why that is.

In terms of growing the site, we need to be aware that UB is facing up against some online BMW enthusiast powerhouses that are very well established. No simple changes will get UB further up the ranks. Start by growing the Knowledge base. Be intentional and get staff members and perhaps some of the hardcore old timers to be very intentional about documenting their projects well. You think having the best DIY procedures will not attract traffic? What about RMC? When the idea was first conceived, the goal was to make RMC into something that would compete head to head with the large car showcase sites. UB started the race late. The large sites are way ahead. Simply drinking water will not help UB catch up. UB needs an energy drink.

I reserve the right to use the ideas that I have proposed on the site on which I am staff. I don't want a deja vu of something we had a few years ago happen, when UB staff accused the staff on the other site of being copy cats, to ensue.

Lastly, allow me to clarify that I am aware that I have been warned to not post at all unless I have something useful to say. Usefulness is subjective, and the best I can do is express that I believe that this post can be useful to UB to the best of my knowledge. I hope that at least some of the members agree. If I manage to be of help to any of the staff, that would be a welcomed surprise.

kthxby

very useful info, thank you and it shouldn't be a surprise.
understand this, we are somewhat at a loss, we have put some money into the site, coders do not work for free, we are now #6 or 7 on google when you search for BMW forum, we have done everything and anything we can think of short of the kitchen sink yet we can still hear the crickets most times.
the same people post, always, noobs refuse to get involved, we are looking for solutions to a serious problem, not jokes, not criticism, solutions or feedback.
i will only scold someone in public when they show someone else in public, i have zero use for disrespectful members, be polite and be courteous and it will go a long way, but there's a flip side too and its a lot quicker.

i appreciate your idea in regards to the knowledge base, however that will not spark debate, it will not spark discussion, i suspect people sign up, read and then leave never to be heard from, its that mentality we have to change, get people to give not just receive.
i have been in contact and have received some sponsor request from large and reputable BMW aftermarket companies but and there is always one they will only support the site if traffic increases, we are lucky and grateful to have a couple of supporting vendors who have stuck through it all but these businesses have to see a return on their investments.

we don't have to be the biggest but if we support our vendors more will come, we all buy stuff for our cars. we all do, request that that vendor come here and sponsor, only support the ones who support us, that would help in driving traffic, that would help us as a community and the various vendors as a group and word travels fast.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:35 PM   #26
habbie

Name: habbie
Title: Forum Sponsor
Rate My Car: 1 / 340
Your Ride: Supercharged 97 M3/04 M3 vert/07 ESCALADE/04 Harley VRSC/
i have been around here a while and i agree with Alex, this site needed a major remodel and they have done a great job of it, as vendor it is very hard to justify pouring money into a site that does not support you back.

i do believe that attracting more vendors will be beneficial to the community and help the growth, im am hoping to see the it move forward, i like the direction its headed and i believe it will turn around which is why im still here.

to rfs5, i would hope you'd show more restraint and respect in the future, we as businesses look at the type of members also as a determining factor in choosing which ones we will support and which we wont.

i have been here from almost the start, i remember this place jumping with less the 1k members, 7 X more and less activity is defiantly something to worry and think about.

-zkw- -hella- -bosch- -depo- -prolumen- -kwd- -bbs- -predator chromium- -predator ice- -simota- -ecis-

//-install guides-//-total lighting group buy-//-zkw group buy-// -exhaust group buy-//-ellipsoids+hid group buy-//-led tails group buy-//
Old 10-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #27
drz

I remember when this site started up, the staff PM'd in bulk people of other sites inviting them to come to UB. Are we now against that now?
Old 10-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #28
RSF5

Name: RSF5
Title: Leave that out of this.
Rate My Car: 278 / 340
Your Ride: NOOTHHHIIIINNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
Then your going to have a hard time surviving in the real world buddy, much less an online community. You need a thicker skin.

And I guess if I'm such a detrimental deterrent to new members posting, I'll be gone for a while.

Thanks to all the help you guys have given me over my time posting here.

Best of luck to all of you.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #29
Skilario

Name: Skilario
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 328is
Quote:
Then your going to have a hard time surviving in the real world buddy, much less an online community. You need a thicker skin.

And I guess if I'm such a detrimental deterrent to new members posting, I'll be gone for a while.

Thanks to all the help you guys have given me over my time posting here.

Best of luck to all of you.
This talk of thick skin includes yourself. Do not let a little discipline within the system get the best of you. Everyone in this forum thinks that they own it, but in reality this forum is NOT owned by the users, it is owned by the administrators. Until we can get that through our heads, the administrators will continue to be harsh on everyone.

This forum is in need of a cleanup, and BAD. Scooter is simply making that point loud and clear, and anyone who has a problem with that is free to leave. There are about 30 prominent members on this forum who post, and that is IT. We have about 20 registrations a day and most of them post once (or not at all) and then are never seen again. That is a 20:0 ratio.

When it comes to resetting the post count, it is just a number people. Everyone puts so much emphasis on the post count, which in turn leaves people posting for nothing but more numbers. About 50% of the posts i see are nothing but a smiley, or a single line or word. "Awesome," "That's tight" etc. When the forum puts all of its emphasis on post count, it takes a substantial amount of the quality of the forum, and potential new members see that.

If we all just wipe away all our pride and let the administration do what it is here to do then we could really make something great out of this forum. I hope everyone can understand that.

Thanks,
Skyler
Old 10-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #30
1995E36

Name: 1995E36
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilario View Post
This talk of thick skin includes yourself. Do not let a little discipline within the system get the best of you. Everyone in this forum thinks that they own it, but in reality this forum is NOT owned by the users, it is owned by the administrators. Until we can get that through our heads, the administrators will continue to be harsh on everyone.

This forum is in need of a cleanup, and BAD. Scooter is simply making that point loud and clear, and anyone who has a problem with that is free to leave. There are about 30 prominent members on this forum who post, and that is IT. We have about 20 registrations a day and most of them post once (or not at all) and then are never seen again. That is a 20:0 ratio.

When it comes to resetting the post count, it is just a number people. Everyone puts so much emphasis on the post count, which in turn leaves people posting for nothing but more numbers. About 50% of the posts i see are nothing but a smiley, or a single line or word. "Awesome," "That's tight" etc. When the forum puts all of its emphasis on post count, it takes a substantial amount of the quality of the forum, and potential new members see that.

If we all just wipe away all our pride and let the administration do what it is here to do then we could really make something great out of this forum. I hope everyone can understand that.

Thanks,
Skyler
i agree. i joined like a year ago and didnt ever really post at all (till recently) because it just seemed like the only thing that was going on was idle talk by all of the main users. besides the post count idea, it just seemed like people acted like they controlled everything because they had been here so long!

im willing to let the admin's do whatever they feel needs to be done to turn this forum around!! i hope everyone else agrees!