Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Lighting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Lighting
BAVTOYS.COM- To see and be SEEN
Sponsored by: BavToys.com
Discussion of headlights, fog lights, blinkers, and any other car lighting.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
zipwax

Name: zipwax
Title: United Newb
Status: Offline
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: kirkland, wa
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1999 M3
NAMotorwerks - bad Depo36 headlights

I just got a bad set of headlights and a load of bad customer service from Zak at NAMotorwerks. I just bought an M3 and ordered the Depo Projector36 headlights w/ DDE in 'em, and happily wrung my hands until they came. I heard they were fidgety to install, but I'm a gear-head and didn't want to pay another $200 for the ZKW's. When I got them out of the box, I was surprised by all the silicone goop overflowing from around the glass headlight covers. Oh well, sloppy I thought, I cut it off myself. I paid an extra $30 or whatever to get the "plug and play" kit. the headlights themselves come with 4 prongs sticking out the back, and the "pnp kit" has the right plugs to fit to the car's wiring harness, but the prongs to connect to the headlight are just 4 individual slip-on connectors! There were no instructions in the box on how to wire them up. I wrote to Zak (is there anyone else there?) and said, "what the hell dude, where's the instructions, and why do I have these little lame slide-on connectors that will fall off at first tug?" He said, "oh we emailed instructions to you and we have NEVER had a problem with the headlights in 4 years of selling them" I emailed back, "no, you didn't send me instructions I checked, and the plugs really are bad quality and here's why...[more]". He said, "if you're having trouble installing them, call our technician he'd be glad to walk you through it". I tried to point out (reasonably politely) that it wasn't very cool for me to pay $400 for headlights that came with such poor quality plugs, I knew what I was doing, thanks, and no instructions on how to wire the plugs to the right prongs. THEN I got the 2nd quarter (that's right, quarter) of my original shipment, the clear cornering lights. I ordered them paying an extra XX for the invisibulbs (I won't write how much I paid extra, since I found them for $10 at my local Schucks) and thought Zak had forgotten to include them with the cornering lights. He promptly cancelled the rest of my order and told me to get lost. Which would have been great, except when plugging the cornering lights into the headlights, the black plastic housing of the Depos had some kind of defect, and the tab that holds the cornering light just broke off. The plastic housing itself isn't rubbery plastic, it's brittle, foamy, stiff plastic and will break on a moment's notice. It's CRAP is what I'm trying to say. The headlights wouldn't stay lit properly, because the 4 plugs wouldn't stay on the 4 prongs on the back of the headlights, so I resorted to soldering them on. Even so, the low beam driver's side wouldn't stay on. So I looked inside the headlight well, and the yellow connector that attaches to the bulb itself - bad quality construction. the wire was barely crimped into the connector! I wrote Zak back and he said, "sorry since you soldered the connectors I can't take it back under warranty". This was after I already wrote him and told him the plugs were crappy quality in the first place and he told me to tough it. I am not going to fight Zak on this one, but I strongly suggest you think twice before ordering Depos from him.

Anybody want to see pictures of how bad the plug quality is? Anyone want to buy some Depo36's, cheap?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
xsperf
 
xsperf's Avatar

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Status: Offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
thats interesting. i recently bought Depo GenIV's from habbie, and actually im really pleased with the product. granted, the headlights are huge, or so to say, so they do require a little pushing and shoving(and good inserting at an angle technique) but after they are in they are simply amazing, give the car much better look, really really really bright and no one beats habbie's customer service, never heard one complain about him before
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
zipwax

Name: zipwax
Title: United Newb
Status: Offline
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: kirkland, wa
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1999 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsperf
thats interesting. i recently bought Depo GenIV's from habbie, and actually im really pleased with the product. granted, the headlights are huge, or so to say, so they do require a little pushing and shoving(and good inserting at an angle technique) but after they are in they are simply amazing, give the car much better look, really really really bright and no one beats habbie's customer service, never heard one complain about him before
<snort> - you didn't have any problems hooking the 4 wires and their connectors onto the 4 pins sticking out of the back of the headlight, and have them slide off every time you bumped the wire? Hard to believe, mate. Who is "habbie"? If he works at NAMotorwerks, I'm dealing with Zak Rozsman, Ceo, Enthusiast, and he really didn't want to hear his connectors were shoddy. Plus, as I said, the plastic really is quite brittle. MAYBE I got a bad run, who knows. What I GOT stinks. I heard good things about Depos, that's why I got them, but I dunno about these I got here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:58 PM   #4
Skilario
 
Skilario's Avatar

Name: Skilario
Title: Senior Member
Status: Offline
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 328is
+1

habbie's great. never had a problem with my depos either. i'd like to see a picture of that plug... sounds interesting. sorry you had a bad experience!
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:05 PM   #5
habbie
 
habbie's Avatar

Name: habbie
Title: Forum Sponsor
Status: Offline
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: over there
Rate My Car: 1 / 340
Your Ride: Supercharged 97 M3/04 M3 vert/07 ESCALADE/04 Harley VRSC/
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipwax
I just got a bad set of headlights and a load of bad customer service from Zak at NAMotorwerks. I just bought an M3 and ordered the Depo Projector36 headlights w/ DDE in 'em, and happily wrung my hands until they came. I heard they were fidgety to install, but I'm a gear-head and didn't want to pay another $200 for the ZKW's. When I got them out of the box, I was surprised by all the silicone goop overflowing from around the glass headlight covers. Oh well, sloppy I thought, I cut it off myself. I paid an extra $30 or whatever to get the "plug and play" kit. the headlights themselves come with 4 prongs sticking out the back, and the "pnp kit" has the right plugs to fit to the car's wiring harness, but the prongs to connect to the headlight are just 4 individual slip-on connectors! There were no instructions in the box on how to wire them up. I wrote to Zak (is there anyone else there?) and said, "what the hell dude, where's the instructions, and why do I have these little lame slide-on connectors that will fall off at first tug?" He said, "oh we emailed instructions to you and we have NEVER had a problem with the headlights in 4 years of selling them" I emailed back, "no, you didn't send me instructions I checked, and the plugs really are bad quality and here's why...[more]". He said, "if you're having trouble installing them, call our technician he'd be glad to walk you through it". I tried to point out (reasonably politely) that it wasn't very cool for me to pay $400 for headlights that came with such poor quality plugs, I knew what I was doing, thanks, and no instructions on how to wire the plugs to the right prongs. THEN I got the 2nd quarter (that's right, quarter) of my original shipment, the clear cornering lights. I ordered them paying an extra XX for the invisibulbs (I won't write how much I paid extra, since I found them for $10 at my local Schucks) and thought Zak had forgotten to include them with the cornering lights. He promptly cancelled the rest of my order and told me to get lost. Which would have been great, except when plugging the cornering lights into the headlights, the black plastic housing of the Depos had some kind of defect, and the tab that holds the cornering light just broke off. The plastic housing itself isn't rubbery plastic, it's brittle, foamy, stiff plastic and will break on a moment's notice. It's CRAP is what I'm trying to say. The headlights wouldn't stay lit properly, because the 4 plugs wouldn't stay on the 4 prongs on the back of the headlights, so I resorted to soldering them on. Even so, the low beam driver's side wouldn't stay on. So I looked inside the headlight well, and the yellow connector that attaches to the bulb itself - bad quality construction. the wire was barely crimped into the connector! I wrote Zak back and he said, "sorry since you soldered the connectors I can't take it back under warranty". This was after I already wrote him and told him the plugs were crappy quality in the first place and he told me to tough it. I am not going to fight Zak on this one, but I strongly suggest you think twice before ordering Depos from him.

Anybody want to see pictures of how bad the plug quality is? Anyone want to buy some Depo36's, cheap?
the plug n play connectors on the depo, projector36 and zkw are all the same FYI.
they have been the same for years.
the extra silicone on the headlights is also not a bad thing, it suggests your headlights were re-sealed properly after swapping the angel eyes, you do understand that the p36's come with the dim LED not the ccfl and na had to install them in for you, right?

as far as install directions go the internet is littered with them, a plug n play install is fairly straight forward and uncomplicated unless you make it that way.

i sell the same lights with the same PNP adapters and have very rarely had issues with them, when we do its 90% install error if not more.
you opted to buy a budget brand (depo) vs. zkw, you bought the p36 which are literally a dinosaur in the lighting world, if you wanted top notch you should of bought bosch @ $1200+

most vendors will work with you to resolve most reasonable issues you may have, i suspect and judging by your post that you were probably a little hot under the collar when you communicated with him.
i don't know Zach personally, i don't know NA all that well but by all accounts they are a stand up company, im sure given the chance they would work with you.
please think twice before you blast a company on the internet and soil their name just because you can, it rarely works to your advantage and as we all know there are 2 sides to any story and i will ask Zach to chime in.
__________________

-zkw- -hella- -bosch- -depo- -prolumen- -kwd- -bbs- -predator chromium- -predator ice- -simota- -ecis-

//-install guides-//-total lighting group buy-//-zkw group buy-// -exhaust group buy-//-ellipsoids+hid group buy-//-led tails group buy-//
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:10 PM   #6
habbie
 
habbie's Avatar

Name: habbie
Title: Forum Sponsor
Status: Offline
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: over there
Rate My Car: 1 / 340
Your Ride: Supercharged 97 M3/04 M3 vert/07 ESCALADE/04 Harley VRSC/
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipwax
<snort> - you didn't have any problems hooking the 4 wires and their connectors onto the 4 pins sticking out of the back of the headlight, and have them slide off every time you bumped the wire? Hard to believe, mate. Who is "habbie"? If he works at NAMotorwerks, I'm dealing with Zak Rozsman, Ceo, Enthusiast, and he really didn't want to hear his connectors were shoddy. Plus, as I said, the plastic really is quite brittle. MAYBE I got a bad run, who knows. What I GOT stinks. I heard good things about Depos, that's why I got them, but I dunno about these I got here.
the 4 pins sliding out can easily be fixed by a gentle squeeze with a pair of pliers, either on the headlights or off.
depos are good lights, the p36 are a bit old and a bit dated which is why 90% and more opt for the zkw like replica depo's.
__________________

-zkw- -hella- -bosch- -depo- -prolumen- -kwd- -bbs- -predator chromium- -predator ice- -simota- -ecis-

//-install guides-//-total lighting group buy-//-zkw group buy-// -exhaust group buy-//-ellipsoids+hid group buy-//-led tails group buy-//
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:11 AM   #7
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Status: Offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
My Depo's didn't come from either company, but they were the same connection- molex type pins. Habbie's right, you just have to squeeze the female end slightly for a snug fit, and I never had a problem with the connections being exposed. They're the least expensive headlight system, so you do have to work with them if you're on a budget . . lighting is not cheap, and you get what you pay for
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moisture in headlights DEATH2000 Lighting 25 Yesterday 07:20 AM
Car Shaking REALLY bad Mercenary(FH) E36 19 05-19-2012 01:24 AM
Question about headlights mrkbik E36 13 09-04-2006 12:05 AM
New camero video this thing sounds bad ass Chris Other Makes And Models 5 06-11-2006 02:07 AM
New Headlights RealBmw 02 2002 13 02-09-2006 08:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.

A vBSkinworks Design

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2005-2013 UnitedBimmer.com