Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** > War and Politics   
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

War and Politics    Discuss the latest in the War on Terrorism and the Political Arena. Remember, the war is against terrorists, not fellow UB members, no "Flames" allowed.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
windinmyface2

Name: windinmyface2
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1996 bmw 328I
Stemcell research, and politics

It seems everyone agree's on Fedeeral funding for Embryotic stemcell research except President Bush. Many private investor's have donated fund's, and many States have donated fund's, and the House, and Senate have both voted for it, but Pesident Bush has vetoed it three times. What do you think?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
I'm not sure the research is a good idea. I mean, could it be a way of opening a can of worms we know nothing about?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
Exilion

Name: Exilion
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1991 325i
Hey how many movies have there been about robots taking over the world and yet they are still researching AI.

BMW's are made by god... kinda
Old 09-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
Exilion

Click here to set it up.
But to my main point. Is that a can of worms you don't want to open? Sometimes worms can be used for other things like catching fish, or in this instance learning more about tissues and how to repair them. We already have allot of stem cells just being frozen or thrown out. Maybe we should at least use the ones we have because they can no longer be used for anything else.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #5
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Before this conversation gets twisted, let's get the facts straight. It's not the research itself that Bush is against. His standpoint involves the ethical issue of destroying viable embryos for research.

Quote:
"As a result of private research, more than 60 genetically diverse stem cell lines already exist. I have concluded that we should allow federal funds to be used for research on these existing stem cell lines where the life and death decision has already been made, This allows us to explore the promise and potential of stem cell research without crossing a fundamental moral line by providing taxpayer funding that would sanction or encourage further destruction of human embryos that have at least the potential for life." --George W. Bush
Old 09-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
windinmyface2

Name: windinmyface2
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1996 bmw 328I
I think President Bush was in fear that it might promote abortions, which I think will continue anyway. I'm not bashing President Bush, but after reading much about the research, and the terrible diseases it could cure, and the things they have done already, I think it at least warrants Federal funding. Australia, and the UK are way a head of us last I heard.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
Seems to me that the means are there to do the research. If the government has ethical issues with it, now is their chance to regulate it. Once other countries start using stem cell research to cure diseases, the US Government will be SOL when it comes to the states. and WHEN someone cures cancer with stem cells, the people WILL make the government make stem cell research legal here.

just my $.02

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Exilion

Click here to set it up.
Well basically morally the cells are already useless, but I see Bush's point. He can't just use federal funding for whatever he feels like. He has to listen to the people who gave him that money. So for the sake of science I'd say stop bitching and hand over the money. However Bush isn't in the best political standing and it may not be wise to piss off his remaining supporters.