Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 09-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #16
Exilion

Name: Exilion
Title: Senior Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1991 325i
out of those three I'd agree with mullethunter. Always good to start off with everything done. It always sucks to just buy something and to put it in the shop immediately. The other thing to keep in mind when you first start riding is don't get a sport bike. 1 because it's way to much power for a beginner (going 0-200 in a few sec is fun but dangerous if you don't know what you're doing). And secondly, allot of people when they first start out drop their bikes at some point and that would crack the side plastic faring. Of course taking the class helps allot and like that vstrom I showed you I probably wouldnt get.

Kinda got on a weird tangent there but yeah the ninja is a decent starter bike.

BMW's are made by god... kinda
Old 09-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #17
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
Number one is sold

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #18
denyo77

Name: denyo77
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 198 / 340
Your Ride: 1988 325i Touring
just one thing: when I'll get my motorcyle license done in spring I'll buy myself a Honda CB 500.
Great starter bike, very reliable and...okay not so much power butmore than Amanda has it's really great as a first bike

oh, and they're cheap, about 1500 dollars in germany
Old 09-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #19
Rooz

I mean, to each it's own taste, but I dunno, I just really like the style and look of sport bikes...

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:02 PM   #20
RSF5

Name: RSF5
Title: Leave that out of this.
Rate My Car: 278 / 340
Your Ride: NOOTHHHIIIINNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooz
I mean, to each it's own taste, but I dunno, I just really like the style and look of sport bikes...
I know right. They're dangerous but ooooooo are they sexy.

Like a really really hot pissed off chick that knows kung fu.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #21
Rooz

Well, I took a trip down to a dealership seeing what they had to offer, I initially called them asking for used bikes, but the guy was super cool over the phone and didn't seem like he was one of those overly pushy sells peops (I hate pushy sellers - since I was in sales).

So, we look at a few bikes, I seat on a few, on the one that felt really comfortable and wasn't overly raced out and that we both felt comfortable as a first bike was a new 2007 Ninja 650r. It's a really cool bike, really light and still has PLENTY of power, it matched me really well size wise and was super comfortable.

Here are the pics and deal on it....

It comes in red and blue...

Engine Type Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four-valve per cylinder, parallel twin
Displacement 649 cc
Bore & Stroke 83.0 x 60.0 mm
Compression Ratio 11.3:1
Maximum Torque 48.5 lb/ft @7,000 rpm
Cooling Liquid
Fuel Injection Digital fuel injection with two 38mm Keihin throttle bodies
Ignition Digital CDI
Transmission 6-Speed
Final Drive O-Ring Chain
Frame Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
Rake/Trail 25/4.2 in.
Front Tire Size 120/70-17
Rear Tire Size 160/60-17
Wheelbase 55.5
Front Suspension / wheel travel 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 4.7 in.
Rear Suspension / wheel travel Single offset laydown shock with adjustable spring preload / 4.9 in.
Front Brake Type Dual 300mm Petal Disc with 2-Piston Caliper
Rear Brake Type Single 220mm Petal Disc with hydraulic caliper
Fuel Tank Capacity 4.1 gal.
Seat Height 31.1
Dry Weight 393 lbs.
Overall length 82.9 in.
Overall width 29.9 in.
Overall height 50.0 in.
Color Candy Plasma Blue, Passion Red
Warranty 12 months

What ya think?

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Old 09-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #22
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
how much? the thing about motorcycle is, especially crotch rockets, or really anything that isnt a harley is that the depreciation rate is HORRIBLE. You are SOO much better off buying a used one, even like a 2005 you should notice a considerable price difference from the new ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 09-11-2007, 08:42 PM   #23
MTurboPower3

Name: MTurboPower3
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Dont have a car yet
I've wanted a bike for a while but first I need a car before a car so I'm going to leave that off for now. Rooz if you're going to get a used bike get a Ducati 748.

Last edited by MTurboPower3; 09-11-2007 at 08:44 PM..
Old 09-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #24
mullethunter3

Name: mullethunter3
Rate My Car: 156 / 340
Your Ride: 318is, Suzuki GS500
^^^ Ducati seems reasonable.... right... just like a BMW bike is reasonable for your first bike... I'm sure we'd all take one, but can we all afford it?

And Rooz, +1 for buying it one year old or something like that. Def be careful with that 650. Slow control with that beast will be most of your trouble.

Oh, and my vote is for the red. Pure sex.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #25
Exilion

Name: Exilion
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1991 325i
yeah xsperf is right. Buying a year old one is a pretty good idea. Most people haven't even put any miles on at that point and you save a few hundred or thousand bucks. And yeah just watch out for like trucks and shit. I have problems with them not seeing me in my bimmer. Imagine them when you're on a bike.

The main problem now that you've taken the course is not so much your own driving, but that of those around you. At least when you stop paying attention in a car you have a crunch zone.

With that in mind go kick some ass. You can outrun most cars in any bike. I'll have to find it but there is a video somewhere of a guy pulling a wheelie at 200mph going past a speed trap. The guy was going so fast the cop couldn't catch him. Also look up chris pfeiffer on youtube. That guy is crazy.

EDIT: not that you want to do that or anything

BMW's are made by god... kinda

Last edited by Exilion; 09-11-2007 at 09:41 PM..
Old 09-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #26
Kasei

Name: Kasei
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1991 525i
Yay for Rooz!
Old 09-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #27
Rooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsperf
how much? the thing about motorcycle is, especially crotch rockets, or really anything that isnt a harley is that the depreciation rate is HORRIBLE. You are SOO much better off buying a used one, even like a 2005 you should notice a considerable price difference from the new ones
The sticker price is like ~$6400

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTurboPower3
I've wanted a bike for a while but first I need a car before a car so I'm going to leave that off for now. Rooz if you're going to get a used bike get a Ducati 748.
I've sat on a lot of bikes, and honestly, am really more concerned about comfort and not so concerned about performance, any 600cc+ bike will last me a while. The Ninja was good bcs stock it isn't "race oriented" and felt super comfortable for me, but down the road you can do a LOT to them to become even beastier than they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullethunter3
^^^ Ducati seems reasonable.... right... just like a BMW bike is reasonable for your first bike... I'm sure we'd all take one, but can we all afford it?

And Rooz, +1 for buying it one year old or something like that. Def be careful with that 650. Slow control with that beast will be most of your trouble.

Oh, and my vote is for the red. Pure sex.
The 2006 actually have a really cool looking color combo of light silver and burgundy. Here is a quick picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exilion
yeah xsperf is right. Buying a year old one is a pretty good idea. Most people haven't even put any miles on at that point and you save a few hundred or thousand bucks. And yeah just watch out for like trucks and shit. I have problems with them not seeing me in my bimmer. Imagine them when you're on a bike.

The main problem now that you've taken the course is not so much your own driving, but that of those around you. At least when you stop paying attention in a car you have a crunch zone.

With that in mind go kick some ass. You can outrun most cars in any bike. I'll have to find it but there is a video somewhere of a guy pulling a wheelie at 200mph going past a speed trap. The guy was going so fast the cop couldn't catch him. Also look up chris pfeiffer on youtube. That guy is crazy.

EDIT: not that you want to do that or anything

So, the hunt for a 2006 Ninja 650R begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasei
Yay for Rooz!
Oh yeah

PS: Look at what I found... http://www.ninja650.com/phpbb/

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:

Last edited by Rooz; 09-12-2007 at 09:52 AM..
Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #28
dinan540

Name: dinan540
Click here to set it up.
Congrats Rooz and be careful. I have thought long about getting a bike, but in the end my wife had a great point She said, "get a bike, but remember you seem to be accident prone." There lies the truth for me, hence I am relegated to 4 wheels to protect myselt .

540i with some mods
Old 09-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #29
Rooz

Am going to another shop tomorrow to seat on a few different bikes, mainly hondas and Suzukis

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Old 09-12-2007, 11:06 PM   #30
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
ya, see that guy is selling an 07 650r for $5,000 and it only has 1,000 miles... too bad hes in alaska, lol

and i didnt know alaska had riding weather, hey, learn something new everyday i guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit