Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 09-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
telemarketers

so, for the past week, we have been receiving a call at our house, and the number that shows up on the caller ID is a 1800, toll free number. the normal routine is just pick up the phone and hang up. well, i kinda got sick of it, so i picked it up one time, said hello. now its not a person on the other end, it detects when you say anything, then it says "all our agents are unavailable, please hold shortly." So, like an idiot, i decided to hold. Then, some retard picks up the phone and says "hello?" kind of like, omg, did someone really answer? I say... "yes...?"

Oh, hi, is XXXXX XXXX there?(that happens to be my brother)

Me: Whos calling?
Her: Tracy.
Me: From where...???
Her: Im calling on behalf of a personal business matter.
Me: ok, hold on a second.

i go to my brother, he was actually just stepping out, hey, do you wanna just tell these people to stop calling? He says, naah i really dont want to deal with them right now...

Ok, i got it
Me: Maam?
Her: Yes?
Me: I think you have the wrong number.
Her: This is not the home of XXXX XXXXX?
Me: Nope.
Her: Ok, sorry to bother you

worked like a charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Cool
Old 09-09-2007, 01:25 AM   #3
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
i know what you mean.

at my old number i kept getting calls from people who spoke Spanish all the time. it must be because of my name, but im not mexican or latino of any sort. close, but no cigar. they kept trying to sell me phone cards and crap.

i was talking to a friend of mine and he suggested answering the phone as "Hello, INS." :rofl

PS: no offence to any one of mexican, latino, or spanish decent.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:18 AM   #4
elsabor67

Name: elsabor67
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 35 / 340
Your Ride: 1989 325i (U.S. Specs)
I used to get stupid with them when I was in the states. I had all my numbers on the "Do Not Call" list and when I mentioned that you could hear their tone of voice change instantly .

Thank God in Germany they don't do that here.

How do I spell relief??
AUTOBAHNNNNNNNNN
"GO FASTER !!"
Old 09-09-2007, 04:10 AM   #5
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsperf
well, i kinda got sick of it, so i picked it up one time, said hello. now its not a person on the other end, it detects when you say anything, then it says "all our agents are unavailable, please hold shortly."
That's an auto dialer system, which in most cases can be defeated. You have to screen the calls using your answering machine. Record the 3 note "out of service" tone as greeting message on your machine. The auto dialer will automatically recognize it as a dead number and will take it off their list to call. It's an old trick that works for most telemarketers using the auto dial system, but some have gotten smarter and ignore the tone altogether. Do a search on "Telezapper" or "Telezapper II".
Old 09-09-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudesky
That's an auto dialer system, which in most cases can be defeated. You have to screen the calls using your answering machine. Record the 3 note "out of service" tone as greeting message on your machine. The auto dialer will automatically recognize it as a dead number and will take it off their list to call. It's an old trick that works for most telemarketers using the auto dial system, but some have gotten smarter and ignore the tone altogether. Do a search on "Telezapper" or "Telezapper II".
never thought of that, although considering this is the only telemarketer to call within a long time(as long as i can remember really) maybe the three note out of service tone on the answering machine would confuse other people. lol, oh and the Do not call list, honestly that works pretty well, it might have a few leaks but hey its not bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit