Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 5-Series > E12, E28, E34, E39, E60
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E12, E28, E34, E39, E60 General discussion and technical help for all year 5 series cars.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:43 AM   #1
540 South of the Alps

Name: 540 South of the Alps
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 172 / 340
Your Ride: 2000 540i
OBDII code 26,27 and 141

Hello all,
I am trying to get the right answer on a problem I am experiencing with my 2000 540. Aside from the service engine soon light always being on, The computer gives me a code of 26 and 27, indicating that the car is too lean +22-25% each bank, pretty much at the max of the spectrum. I purchased the car on July 21st, this year. It is a US spec but I bought it in Germany and I currently live in Italy. I had the car checked out before I bought it, and at the time it looked like it was the 4 O2 sensors, of which 2 were replaced on the spot. The German mechanic reset the light, but 45 minutes later, it came back on. The car drove great all the way back to Italy (over 600 miles). It still drives fine, though I think it could be more responsive when you really give it gas. I have read many forums about this, but still don't really have an answer. I know of a BMW master mechanic in VA who has family over here and is coming over soon. He wants to replace the valve seals and a valve in the crank shaft; he claims there is a common problem with a small air leak from somewhere near the crank shaft, which causes the computer to adjust to compensate, resulting in leaning out. He would bring the parts with him (about $1200.00 worth) and said it would take between 12-15 hrs of labor.
The German mechanic said that he did not have the time to get and install the other two sensors prior to me leaving for Italy, and that the light would likely come on again. He said that everything was fine with the car and that it was turning over (exhaust & firing) perfectly.
Any suggestions?
I have had other mechanics tell me that the one guy wanting to redo the entire crankshaft and seals is likely overkill or not even the problem...
Oh, yeah, anyone know what code 141 refers to?
thanks again.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:52 AM   #2
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Which two O2 sensors were replaced? Code 141 (PO141) is an O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction in Bank 1, sensor 2. I would replace all 4 sensors and inspect/replace their corresponding heater circuit relays, before you consider other possibilities.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
540 South of the Alps

Name: 540 South of the Alps
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 172 / 340
Your Ride: 2000 540i
The German mechanic wrote down that he replaced the " Bank 2, eingang sensor" (entry or input: I assume pre cat..) on 20 JULY 2007 and "Bank 1 ausgang sensor" ( exit: I assume after cat..) 2 months ago. he wrote what looks like Vo-Ca or Co - 2 or maybe 2 more to do...
It was pretty much scribble on a piece of paper. He told me that the light would likely come on again since he only had 2 sensor replaced. Nothing was mentioned at the time about code 141, I found that out back in Italy.