Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 08-02-2007, 12:35 AM   #1
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
Attn: Mods/ Admins

Okay, so now that i've chilled out a bit and talked to a couple people, I have a couple things to say.

So things, haven't started out so great, but that was kind of expected. How so? Well when the new mods/admin showed up, it was kind of like someone you don't know getting up in your face... first instinct is to swing. As mods, I hope you can understand that. Now from your point of view, I can understand that we weren't very receptive, and we should have given harry the benefit of the doubt bringing you guys in. We didn't, that was our bad. I apologize.

Mods/admins, I know now that you're well known under different names from some of the (much) larger forums, so that sheds some light on things. But I do need to point out the difference here. We'll use BF.c as an example. Over there, you get a lot of under-educated idiots who flame every post, even the good ones. Knowing that atmosphere, i understand why things went down the way they did. With that said, I'd like to point out that things over here are a little different. For the most part, the people who post here are well educated, well mannered individuals highly capable of intellignet conversation. 99% of the people here are more easily reasoned with through conversation, not through liberal use of the ban hammer. So suspending nick, was a (very) bad move. But again, I see now why it happened. As users though, its also our responsibility to see where you're coming from, and cut you a break until you get used to how things run around.

Speaking of how things run. We as members, do completely understand that you were brought in to grow our forums, which is fine, within some constraints. We here at UB are here because its got a different feel than the larger places. We come here to avoid the idiots who post there. So growing out forums is great for all party's involved, as long as we grow it with more of the type of members we like. 10,000 posts a day is worthless if 85% of those posts are idiots who flame, don't know how to use the search button, don't know how to properly form a coherent sentence, etc. I personally came here because I was tired of everyone flaming everybody for every reason, and i think others share that same sentiment. But again, we see where you're coming from, and we'll cut you some slack till you find your new groove.... as long as that groove doesn't turn into the places you came from.

I'd also like to point out that the war/politics forums was mishandled by both sides. The moderators (who DID vote, thus skewing the results of that pole, so please don't use that as an excuse) proper course of action would have been to let the thread sit for a couple days and see what the general sentiment was from the members before they chimed in with their two cents. Unlike those other forums, we treat our mods like family. They're just regular members 99.9% of the time and they're chill by us. But when its necessary for them to step up and do their job, they do it, they do it right and life goes on. On other forums, its necessary for you to exert your authority more overtly, but not here. And with that same token, we don't like it when people try to impose things on us, and we don't like when someone try's to use their title as a source of power. Even harry's been straightened out here a couple of times, because your name is your name, the color of it doesn't matter to us. On the flip side of the coin, we shouldn't have jumped all over you like we did, adding fuel to the fire. That was wrong, and again that all goes back to whats already been stated here.

On a final note, I'd like to point (and don't take this the wrong way, and don't read into it any) out that old salts like clapton and nick and drz and dudesky, will carry more weight and command more respect around here than you ever will. And i'm not trying to say that in a bad way, its just that they've been around here forever, and we all respect them. Use this to your advantage, because gaining their respect and getting them on your side is the key to getting the rest of the forums on your side. Just remember that their disapproval with something shouldn't just be disregarded as just whining.... and to a further extent, it was a poor move to rub us oldies the wrong way, but it had to happen before any lesson was learned.

So really, what i'm trying to say is that we were both wrong in many ways, and it wasn't necessary. Both sides need to be more tolerant in the future, until everyone gets on the same page. And we all secretly love the idea of ub.c growing, AS LONG AS THE GENERAL FEEL OF THE FORUM DOESNT CHANGE, because if you try to turn us into "every other forum", then you entirely defeat the original concept of this place.

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #2
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
^^^ nicely done. agreed.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #3
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Interesting. With that I would like to add that c1apton was a member that added much in helpful posting. He personally asked me to delete all of it after the last few days. Can't imagine why, okay this is a shot at being funny. But it is also a real wake up about members we really don't wanna lose
Old 08-02-2007, 12:50 AM   #4
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
Nice thread Chris, I know that things didn't start on the best note , but we all need to step back and take a look at how things were done and what forum members like, but on the other hand, I think that we also need to be a bit more open minded, this is for the best of all... If we can learn from each other, we will go long and far

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
94bmw325i

Name: 94bmw325i
Title: Hellrot325
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 94 bmw 325i, 97 vw golf
I dont fully agree, but whatever it seems like you are a mod now so im sure you have plans to make this transition better for everyone that posts here.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
mullethunter3

Name: mullethunter3
Rate My Car: 156 / 340
Your Ride: 318is, Suzuki GS500
Nicely said Chris. With all that being said, from 7 am to 4, there were 41 posts. Normally, there are 10 post a day... maybe. Even though it is growing, it still feels the same to me. Yay!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Way to put it Chris, I agree with what you said, again sorry for any disruption I may have caused I hope that ub will still feel the same way and be better.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #8
celsdogg

^^^ im just glad your back. i hope the others who left will be back too.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
themadhatter

Name: themadhatter
Title: Super Moderator
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Turbo 332is, 325i, F350, Eclipse GSX & GVR4
Quote:
AS LONG AS THE GENERAL FEEL OF THE FORUM DOESNT CHANGE...
I don't think that this can be stressed enough. I'm all for keeping the warm and fuzzy that this forum exudes as I've never been a fan of clinical or alien feeling forums.

-Ron

Hey man, I'm a professional!
Old 08-03-2007, 12:01 AM   #10
RSF5

Name: RSF5
Title: Leave that out of this.
Rate My Car: 278 / 340
Your Ride: NOOTHHHIIIINNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadhatter
I don't think that this can be stressed enough. I'm all for keeping the warm and fuzzy that this forum exudes as I've never been a fan of clinical or alien feeling forums.

-Ron
You've got that right. This place is like a small town, where as Bf.c is like a city. Bf.c is really big and just like any city there are a lot of a-holes and not a lot of people know each other. This place is tighter knit and everyone is friendly and very helpful. That's why I'm always here.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:46 AM   #11
celsdogg

^^^ +1

i have s/n's at all of your major brand name forums, i just never use em because of that.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:36 AM   #12
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
welcome to the country

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:35 AM   #13
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
IMO Bf.c isn't as bad as it used to be. They just seem to make things hard for a person just starting out who doesn't know the ropes. Very akin to a big city vs a small town; in a big place you tend to not be as responsible toward each other.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:28 AM   #14
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94bmw325i
I dont fully agree, but whatever it seems like you are a mod now so im sure you have plans to make this transition better for everyone that posts here.

Thats exactly why I was brought on as a moderator, to bridge that gap between us salty's and the new guys around. After seeing the things in the works, as aprehensive as I was when i first saw all the mods showing up, I can proudly say that good things will be happening around here, and everyone's best interests are still at heart. Just bear with us for a little bit and i think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:00 AM   #15
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
On that note, welcome to the staff Chris