Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** > Rant Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Rant Forum Explode with gripes, complaints, and rants here. Anything goes, so enter with a tough skin.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #16
mullethunter3

Name: mullethunter3
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 156 / 340
Your Ride: 318is, Suzuki GS500
Alright, turns out that this silly car was tricking me. The hoses only alleviated the gas problem for about a day. It's leaking again.

I know this is very vague, but on the M42 engine, drivers side, there are two hoses really really close to one another. One comes from the fuel filter and another goes to/from another fuel line. The place where it is leaking at is right above where the rubber hoses meet near the engine block/under the intake manifold.

Does anyone have any idea what part it is that my be leaking? Please?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #17
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
could you possibly provide a picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 06-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #18
RSF5

Name: RSF5
Title: Leave that out of this.
Rate My Car: 278 / 340
Your Ride: NOOTHHHIIIINNG
^^^Pics!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:46 PM   #19
mullethunter3

Far away view:

Close up view:

Now that you all have pics, why the hell is it leaking?????
Old 06-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #20
Jami318is

Name: Jami318is
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1991 318is
[QUOTE=mullethunter3]I know this is very vague, but on the M42 engine, drivers side, there are two hoses really really close to one another. One comes from the fuel filter and another goes to/from another fuel line. The place where it is leaking at is right above where the rubber hoses meet near the engine block/under the intake manifold.

Hey girl,
Listen to me here. I went through the same crap when i bought mine. I was told by the seller it had a choke issue and once warm it was ok. so I believed him..(1st mistake) Well after 4 days of this and the strong smell of gas I decide to check it out...Gas was pouring out from under the intake driver side.....No choke on car too.

Seller was made to fix it...Not once not twice not even 3 times...A total of four times the seller fixed the leak...

I had to pull the intake and start over....Replaced orings from day one and those were not the leak as the seller kept saying.....It was the stupid fuel lines....Every place this guy put a clamp it leaked...First this one then that one etc...

I bought about 5 new box's of good fuel injection clamps and redid everything and not one leak since.....
If you are pulling the intake then why not replace all 9 orings? or is it 10? LOL

8 for the injectors and not sure how many on the fuel pressure regulator.
If your lines connect with the fuel rail via compression fitting there may be some there too. Mine connected by a 2 or 3 inch piece of hose......

It may not be as big of an ordeal as you think....if you take off the horse shoe looking clamp between the air intake hose and throttle body. (on throttle body) you can remove the throttle body with out removing the antifreeze hoses..I learned this after watching them pull the intake 4 times....at least on mine. 1991

sorry to go on but it drove me crazy.....learned a few new 4 letter words as well.....Just take a deep breath and it will not be so bad......

Best to you
Jami

Last edited by Jami318is; 06-27-2007 at 04:51 PM..
Old 06-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #21
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
without seeing it I'm guessing it's a vent hose to the fuel tank have you tried the schematics at OEM.com for fuel delivery, emissions, etc...? I'm just guessing at this point (100 degree heat and lame stagehands are making today a very long day - excuse my while I slip into something more fitting - my postal uniform and my AK47 )

Recent quote - "I don't know about you but I think someone crop dusted STUPID across this country recently"
Old 06-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #22
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
without seeing it I'm guessing it's a vent hose to the fuel tank
That's what it looks like to me . . weren't you messing around with the charcoal canister and fuel evap valve a few days ago? Maybe you knocked something loose, or didn't put it back on tightly?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #23
mullethunter3

c1apton, I know what it is, I know the part numbers by now, it's just that everything is visually fine (from what I can see). I don't know where to start. Jami, thanks for you help. Are you saying that there is another type of hose clamp for fuel injection?

That might be a stupid question, but I've never worked on the fuel system before last week.

And Chrys, I haven't received the canister yet. I don't think I'll need it seeing as the smell is coming from the gas pouring out of those fittings. I checked those seals. Twice. I don't know why they are still fucking leaking.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:09 AM   #24
Jami318is

Click here to set it up.
Well kind of. You have those regular clamps you know with all the little slots in them. Then there are those made for fuel injection or high pressure and are a solid band with a bolt running through them. Advance auto has them both.

On the o-rings make sure you coat them with vasoline before putting them in. when the seller fixed the hoses he always put the clamps down to far which blew out the ends.

I simply put the old hoses back on and ran the hose up to the stop on the metal line and put my clamps right at the edge. Sealed ! fixed! and with a big old smile.

Is this gas running down the line from up under the intake? That is how mine started. I replaced all the orings and the seller put it all back together.....all the other leaks and 2 sets of temporary tags was from the sellers clamp jobs.

Oh one more thing if you replaced the o-rings and it still leaks and you are comfortable that the orings were the right ones then remember to check the fuel injector clamps....The seller put one on backwards or some strange way and the injector fell right out of the fuel rail when lifted up...Not what you want to see.

Honestly though this entire gas thing started on mine by running down those same hoses and when I saw I had to take the intake off I freaked and hated this car....I wanted nothing to do with it..... Thanks to some guys in another board who settled me down and talked me into giving this car a chance I am a changed girl...I love my bimmer and I will buy more in time....to me there are cars and then there are bimmers....which one would you drive?

again I am sorry to go on like this.....Just got home from work and found my moms new cars is sitting at work. Cars......
Let me know what you find....
Have a better day !
Jami
Old 06-28-2007, 06:17 AM   #25
mullethunter3

I'll let you know what I find. Thank you already for your help!

Btw, is your E30 Technoviolet?
Old 06-28-2007, 11:49 AM   #26
TerryY

Name: TerryY
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 7 / 340
BMW gas lines have a habit of "Sweating" gas when first pressurized cold and then not showing any signs of leaking for a while longer.

The V12 has 4 gas lines on top of the engine and 2 behind it that need to be changed about every 100,000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first. A significant number of 850 owners experienced fires on top of or behind the engine from "I can smell it but not find it" leaks. (That is about a $10,000 fire from a 6" hose)

Just replace all of the rubber gas lines in the engine compartment as insurance. Use new clamp too.

Terry

Aloha Oregon
'95 840
'98 SVT Cobra
Old 06-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #27
Jami318is

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullethunter3
I'll let you know what I find. Thank you already for your help!

Btw, is your E30 Technoviolet?
Hi Amanda,
No she is black with tan interior. I would love to have her painted with a pink and purple fade in but black will probably be the choice...Just love pinks and purples.

Hope everything goes real well today. I found this picture on the web some place and it was red but I made about 7 different colors to see what it would look like. It was fun.
Jami

Last edited by Jami318is; 06-28-2007 at 01:21 PM..
Old 06-28-2007, 02:08 PM   #28
CroCop>

Name: CroCop>
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 322 / 340
Your Ride: 1996 328i
wow. ive never seen a hot pink 318is until now. rare to say the least
Old 06-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #29
mullethunter3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami318is
Is this gas running down the line from up under the intake? That is how mine started. I replaced all the orings and the seller put it all back together.....all the other leaks and 2 sets of temporary tags was from the sellers clamp jobs.

I checked it again this morning. Now fuel isn't leaking from the hoses anymore, it's now coming from the intake.

Now how do you get it off by taking as little of the engine bay apart? I didn't really understand the whole throttle body thing. And what O-rings should I replace?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #30
mullethunter3

I'm currently looking through Pelican Parts to find these phantom o-rings...

random question that might be related...

Where is the pressure regulator?

***edit: It looks like fuel is leaking over the lower part of the intake manifold and cascading down onto those two hoses I saw. I can't see from where since the engine is still hot. Damn thermodynamics.

Last edited by mullethunter3; 06-28-2007 at 04:50 PM..